3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: harrison hhc d.o.a. (casualty of shipping)  (Read 800 times)

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
harrison hhc d.o.a. (casualty of shipping)
« on: January 05, 2011, 11:18:00 PM »
i recently bought a 70" hhc from bob walker here on tradgang.everything went nice and smooth until i got the package,after opening it up and taking the bow out and admiring it a while i went to string it up and saw that the tip was broken in transit.i was heartbroken by this sad development.further inspection showed a cracked endcap on the pvc tube.i sadly sent bob an email telling him the bad news.bob immediatley returned my money and filed a claim with the postal service.after seemingly what to me felt like getting the runaround from the postal service i finally got a letter from them with the same instructions bob had given me as to what was needed to be done with the bow.i took the bow to my local post office and they took it and said they would be in contact.i asked the postal worker what would happen to the bow.will it be given back i asked? no he said,it will most likely be destroyed after the claim is paid.how sad is that? what a waste of a hard to find true signed harrison bow.    "[dntthnk]"
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: harrison hhc d.o.a. (casualty of shipping)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »
Sorry to hear Larry!  Good thing it was insured.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 11:27:00 PM »
i will add that i still use and have faith in the us postal service.its just a part of life that sometimes things get broken in shipping.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 11:38:00 PM »
Ouch that hurts,I guess things just happen.I have been lucky with the post office,I have recieved and shipped many bows without a problem.I have had a couple of problems mailing letters.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
Aw!   That is a major bummer man!!   :eek:

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 12:03:00 AM »
I'm awfully sorry for the bad luck.

I would have posted sooner but after reading your initial post I had to go throw-up...lol

It's a was now so it's a good time to move on.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 12:49:00 AM »
I have gotten PVC tubes with end caps missing, or holes in them. I think the Post Office does it checking the contents, but they claim they don't.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 01:40:00 AM »
Larry, that really sucks! Good story for making sure to insure when shipping bows.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 04:37:00 AM »
thanks folks,tw..i was really lookin forward to owning that bow.i like you am growing tired of chasing bows in search of "THE ONE" i planned on keeping that hhc and one morrison recurve and two griffin bows and a few centaurs and callin it good for a few years.  :D

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 04:50:00 AM »
Yes Larry,a really sad end for such a bow.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 05:57:00 AM »
yes felix,indeed a sad ending but life and time they do march on.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 06:55:00 AM »
I've always had excellent luck with USPS.  Too bad it messed up the hard to find bow.

On the bright side, it was a Bob Walker transaction.  He's a great guy to deal with.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 07:02:00 AM »
Can't it be reduced to say a 68" bow? Just thinking out loud.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 07:06:00 AM »
bummers.  i've had similar problems with pvc end caps cracking and splitting.  just got a longbow last week and the cap was split along the side during transit and luckily held in place via duct tape, and the seller used a good tight wad of foam to secure the limb tips.

when i send a bow out in a pvc tube, i wrap the tips in either foam or bubble wrap, then make 3/4" plywood discs to fit inside the tube ends, secured with 4 screws around the tube end perimeter.  the ends are wrapped in duct tape for added insurance.  still, ya never know with any shipping vendor if they'll hand off yer bow to a 500# gorilla ...
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 07:53:00 AM »
rob..dang man you really lock them babies down huh..this bow was bubble wrapped good and had wadding in end.i was talking with a very nice lady at the usps 800 number.she informed me that things are piled into big bins then dumped onto belts for sorting purposes so in reality you could have a 70 pound item come crashing down on your package.i couldnt believe it when she said that.ray..yes bob is a great guy,he offered me a full refund on the spot.he's a-ok in my book.i just hope they refund him quickly.

Offline Cool Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »
It has to something beyond coincidence. When I received my t model recently the pvc end cap was broken and the tip was protruding a couple of inches. Fortunately no harm done. My wife picked up the bow at the P.O. She didn't understand the severity of the situation. Once she left the P.o. I'm not sure they would have honored the ins.
 Larry

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »
BIG kudos to bob walker - an honorable seller doing right by his honorable buyer.    :thumbsup:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
PVC fittings are pretty brittle in my experience, especially the schedule 40 stuff (white in color usually).  Might want to upgrade to the schedule 80 PVC (generally dark grey in color). Cost a little more but its much more durable and in the long run protecting a very expensive bow is what its all about. As a seller and a buyer it is in everyones best interest Im sure.

That being said if the damage was caused by getting jammed up in machinery it might not matter if you have the heavier stuff.  Always best to insure it.  As far as USPS or UPS or FedEx there was an interesting article in a recent Popular Mechanics that rated USPS best if I recall correctly.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
keep your eye on the dumpster behind the post office, it will be in there ...if someone from the post office doesnt snatch it...

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »
I just want to send out a big Trad Gang thank you to Bob. I recently had a bow deal go south and this just assures me that it was a one time fluke.

I've done a few bow deals with Larry and they've all been straight up and honest. Never got one bow that wasn't as he described!   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©