3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What's Your Vintage Grizzly Setup Like?  (Read 690 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
What's Your Vintage Grizzly Setup Like?
« on: January 06, 2011, 02:04:00 AM »
Hey all,

I have a 1970 or 71 Grizzly that I am having some difficulties getting quiet and then getting the arrow to fly right.

My bow is marked at 58" and 45X#.  I have been told the X means it's a bit over the 45 pound target weight and it pulls like it is.  Mr Draw is about 29 inches or so.  I shoot 125 grain points on all my arrows.  My arrows:

1.  GameGetter II in 500 size
2.  GamGetter II in 400 size
3.  Easton Epic Carbon 500 size
4.  Red Head Fury Carbon size 4560

Right now my brace height is just a hair over 8 inches measured from the deepest throat of the grip.  My nock height is set right now at 5/8th over the bottom live that's even with the rest.

I am still getting some irregular flight and a bit too much noise.  I'd like to hear what you all have your set up like and see if I can get any tips.  My arrows still hit where I'm looking, but they don't look or sound nice getting there, if ya know what I mean.

Lastly, I have all these arrows in my quiver and shoot them all with this bow and my 45 pound Longbow.  Would you all suggest that I settle on 1 single arrow and go with it and get rid of the rest of them?  Or at most 2 different when you might want a lighter hunting weight arrow?  Thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Nalajr

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's Your Vintage Grizzly Setup Like?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 05:15:00 AM »
I have a 50@28" 58" 73-75 Grizzly.Try a 175gr tip.I use a 30"2213,.500 spine Easton or a GT 35/55 with 175 and it gives me perfect flight.

I can't still see why folks insist on using 125 points on Carbons and aluminums.Wood arrows is fine because that is what is commonly availible,but heavier is always better in trad for carbons and aluminum.The bow will be quieter,and the arrow will penetrate better.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 05:17:00 AM »
About the Grizzly:this is normally a very quiet bow,the reason it can be so noisy can be a too stiff arrow hitting hard the window,this is the reason of the irregular flight too.
About the arrows:it is better to stick with a single arrow,it is too confusing at this point to have many different ones.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 05:21:00 AM »
Try a  1916 arrow in that bow and I think it will help your noise and irregular flight problems. But tuning is a process that takes a little while

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 06:17:00 AM »
Mine is a 70's vintage Future wood.
45@ 28" my draw is 27.5
It likes 50/55 woodies 29 to BOP with 125 points. But I like to shoot carbon, GT3555, the shafts themselves are cut to 29.25 with a 50 gr brass insert and 125 gr. point, four fletch with 4" feathers. That set up will get a pass through on a deer for me. And by the way I have two of these one is a spare and the other i use to hunt and bowfish with, you get a lot of bang for your buck with an old grizzly.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Jim Picarelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 08:18:00 AM »
I have a '59 Grizzly,62",45#@28" and she really likes a 1916 w/125gr point. With your 29" draw,the 500 should be a tunable arrow
67" Hill Tembo, 50@27
67" Hill Half Breed, 53@27
66" Hill Redman, 48@27
66" Hill Cheetah, 55@27
66" Hill Big Five, 50@27

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
Read the tuning information at bowmaker.net

One thing I have learned is to not start with a preconcieved idea of point weight.The bow,arrow and tuning let me know what the weight will be.

You can also download Stu's Calculator and it will get you very close on point weight.You would have to know the actual bow weight though.

I would bet the 500's would work if you experimented with more point weight.Also check your brace height.It should probably be close to 8" but experiment to see where it is most quiet.

Up and down  "porpoising" will be a nock point height issue.Side to side wobble will usually be a spine/tune issue.Only work on one issue at a time to avoid major confusion.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
What type of string, and how many strands are you shootin? Also, how tight are the nocks!

The brace height you  post is about right. I personally like mine alittle lower, which usually means more limb slap!

With that weight, I would go with a 12 strand dacron. What kind of silencers are on it, if any?

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
Try some Woodies... Get a test kit from 3Rivers

Offline Tav

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
I don't know anything about anything...but I shoot an early 70's Grizzly.  58" - 50#@28".  I have a 29.5"-30" draw.  I did have a lot of help setting up my arrows.  I shoot CE Heritage 250's, 31.25 inches, and I have shot 200, 225, and 250 grain field tips with good results with the fletched shafts.  The 225 grain tips are what we used to bareshaft tune and they flew straight (total arrow weight is around 605grains with the 225's).  My brace height is around 8 1/8", I have beaver balls silencers, and just for a try I put some mole skin on my limbs where the string grooves are.  It seems fairly quiet.  The heavier my arrow the quiter the bow seems.  I'm a rookie so take this for what it's worth.

Offline Ron+dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »
i use easton 1916 and gold tip 5575 w/ 250 grains up front they fly great
>>>--------> <--------<<<
" the happiness that is found sleeping under tents is unbelievable. one night in tents is worth three in town" -bruce chatwin in far journeys

Offline chad graham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
i have a 1960 62"50#@28 with tapered cedar and cat whisker silencers its super quiet.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
Mid 70's Super Griz here.

* 50# @ 28 w/29 draw.
* 1916s at 470gr ballpark arrow weight. They fly great.
* Arrows are cut at 30.25".
* Shooting calf hair on the shelf.
* Nock is about 1/2" high.
* Two finger split shooter.
* 12 strand B55 flemish string that I made with minimal serving in the center for the two split shooting.
* Yarn puff ball silencers made from green Wal-mart yarn

TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 11:28:00 PM »
I have 3 Grizzly bows, 2 mid 70s Super Grizzly (45x @ 28"-47 under the arrow plate, and a 50x @ 28").  1 1970-71 Grizzly (45# @ 28").  All three are set up very similarly to yours bow.  Just a tad over 8" brace, 5/8" high nock.  All have 14 strand B50 Flemish twist strings and beaver fur silencers.  They are all quiet and arrows fly well.  Nothing under the strings where the limbs touch.

I use wood arrows (Surewood Shafts Doug Fir).  The Super Grizzly bows both like 50-55 best.  The 45# Grizzly likes 45-50 arrows.  They all are 3 fletch 5" shield, Mercury Speed nocks, 125 grain points, 29" to the back of the point, and all weigh over 500 grains total.  I have a 27" draw.

Don't have much experience with carbon (bought a few to try, but they didn't shoot any better than my woodies, and cost a lot more).  I have had a little experience with aluminum, but although they shoot well, as my friend and archery mentor says, "they sound like conduit" when they hit each other.  Wood for me.

I will say that when I shoot the weaker spine arrows with the heavier bows, and vice-versa, it really doesn't make much difference at all, so I think that they may be a bit more forgiving than some bows-definitely more forgiving than a longbow or selfbow.

My vote, if it matters, is get some wood shafts and try them to see what happens.  Good luck.  The Grizzly is a good bow.

RonP

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »
I've got almost the identical bow as your Nala.
Mine's a late 60's model Grizzly #48 @28" and my actual draw is about 27.5" so I'm real close to that 45lb. mark.

My 500gr. woodies with .500 spine.... 125gr. Snuffer and 55gr. homemade aluminum adapters up front, fly real nice out of it. I use my own beaver silencers, and a beaver pad on my arrow shelf.....brace ht. about 8" from handle groove and mine is whisper quiet. Your nocking pt. does sound a bit high to me?

If your getting erratic arrow flight then your bow isn't tuned properly and that can cause all kinds of noise issues.

Are your limbs straight and in good shape?
What type of string are you using?

Mine is a Flemish twist 14 strand B-50......depending on the string your using that could be causing some of the noise?
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 12:52:00 AM »
thanks for all the help.

My string is a new one that was sent to me by a Bear employee.  One thing I have noticed is that all of my nocks are tight to the point where they really SNAP on.

I am going to get a Flemish twist string.  Any recommendations?

I also want to try woodies but have been leery because of reading about having to straighten them all the time and getting ones that are right for my bow.  I also have never made any woodies.

nalajr

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
PM to ya Nala  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by Nala:

My string is a new one that was sent to me by a Bear employee.  
Nala, Make sure that string isn't Fast Flight.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©