3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How Many Use FOLDERS for Hunting and Field Duties?  (Read 4832 times)

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How Many Use FOLDERS for Hunting and Field Duties?
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
I have a case trapper and mini trapper that I use for almost everything.  I have a couple nice fixed blade knives but they don't do anything but collect rust for the most part.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
Here's some of mine that have field dressed deer.  Of these the bone handled Russell "toothpick" and the Victornox work best and are both lock blades (the SAK I carry as a backup in my day pack).  The guthook really unzips the belly nicely.  But, I still prefer a small fixed blade if for no other reason than clean-up.

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
Almost always use a folder.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
I prefer a fixed blade knife if for no other reason than ease of cleaning. That said, I used a Gerber Gator folder for a number of years and it worked just fine.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
Killdeer, your old folder has karma.

I carry a Buck titanium folder for rifle season and an old Puma Skinner for bow season.  Go figure.  It may be because I'm lazy and wear different pants and belts for each season and don't feel like switching knives between the two.

I'd like to give this old Puukko knife from Finland a ride some day.

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline DaveKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
reddogge

That is a very nice Puukko, quite unlike the normal in grind and appearance.  Is it a regional variant?

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
I always carry two folders with me, an improved muskrat skinner by Olsen Knife company (havent been in business for years) and of course my leatherman which has a blade as well.  When hunting I also carry a fixed blade Olsen knife that belonged to my Grand dad. Most of my field dressing chores on deer fall to the fixed blade knife, small game falls to the folder.  Of course this is not exclusive as I dressed a doe this year with my folder when I discovered I didnt have my fixed blade with my and Ill gladly dress a squirrel with my fixed blade if its handy.  As stated above the only drawback I can see with the folder is the clean up and that is at best minor and easily offset by the fact that I literally always have it with me unless on a plane and then %$^&*(^*%$ wont let me carry it!  What am I supposed to do if we hit a deer?
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2011, 11:24:00 PM »
Schrade "Old Timer" folder here.

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2011, 11:39:00 PM »
Just bought a Buck 110. Classic and will do about everything I need. Lifetime Guarantee to boot.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2011, 11:39:00 PM »
If I'm hunting close to home I usually have a good sized fixed blade of my own making on my belt for fun.  I'f I'm on a trip I usually am packing a tree stand/steps on my back with all the other stuff necessary for that type of hunting.  Then I just put one of my case trappers in my pocket. It's nice to have 2 sharp blades with half the weight.

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2011, 07:15:00 AM »
I usually carry a folder with me. It is a Condor folder that I have had for years.

Offline glass76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
I carry my thirty year old Buck 110 on my belt. It has done quite a bit of work over the years.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
Fancy fixed blades are nice to look at, but for really USING a knife I'll go with my Buck "Trio" folder.  I use the sheepsfoot for utility/rough work, the longer blade for general cutting (field dressing) and the small spey blade for fine work like caping the face of an animal.  For field butchering on "big" game hunts - like elk and larger - I take a 110 folder for heavy work.

You can take an elephant apart with a penknife if you know where the joints are.  My Trio weighs like 2 ounces and rides nicely in the pocket.  

Personally I've NEVER seen anyone use a "big" knife for anything but show.

Ryan

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
Almost forgot - as far as cleaning off the folder after using it - peeling and cutting up an apple to eat the next day works just fine!

Dad taught me that one years ago, and it still works every time.

;)

R

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
I posted this on another thread a couple weeks ago. My old Case Buffalo (circa 1970) with cracked wood scales:

and the same knife after skullworks did a little fine tuning on it.

The blade is tight (don't have to worry about it closing up while working inside a critter) and will take and hold an edge.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ryan Rothhaar:
Almost forgot - as far as cleaning off the folder after using it - peeling and cutting up an apple to eat the next day works just fine!

Dad taught me that one years ago, and it still works every time.

;)  

R
Lol gross.  Probably effective but the first couple of apples are liable to taste mighty funky.

:biglaugh:

Offline Sheepshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2011, 11:51:00 PM »
Used a Buck 110 folder for 20 some years til a pine marten took off with it while on a sheep hunt 2 years ago. I spent hours looking but never did find it. My kids replaced it with an Buck Alpha Hunter. Nice knife! My only complaint is a folder is a little hard to clean.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
I'm a fixed blade guy for the hunting chores. I have a stag handled Beretta/Loveless, that's beautiful in all respects. Second choice is a Schrade/Loveless. Not as pretty, but Bob Loveless designs a good knife. A Walker design Boker folder is always in my pocket.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »
I like my Case folders, the old Trapper is in my front pocket 24-7

When I'm hunting my Skinner is on my hip, it dresses critters for a livin..   ;)

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
Got an old Schrade folder, pretty much all I've ever used. Dont' need much more for a deer. Some of the old timers in camp use small folders that aint much more than a pocket knife.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©