3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How Many Use FOLDERS for Hunting and Field Duties?  (Read 4833 times)

Offline mongoose

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How Many Use FOLDERS for Hunting and Field Duties?
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
Nice looking skinner Ron!, The only folders that I use are a Buck 110, and a small case(saddlehorn trapper). My fixed blades are an old schrade sharpfinger, a boker arbolito, and a crkt browtine.  :thumbsup:    :campfire:
stalk softly and carry a bent stick

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
Sometimes it's hard to choose...and this isn't all of them...   :dunno:

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline bowhntr62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »
I have only used folders all my deer hunting career and have cleaned a lot of animals for other people. My favorite used to be a Schrade Uncle Henry , cleaned a lot of mule deer and antelopes with one. Then the tip was broken getting into an old hunting vehicle when my buddy locked the keys in it. About 20 yrs ago my BIL bought me a Buck folder that has been my hunting companion since . When I sharpen it at the beginning of the season I can clean at least 4 deer before it needs sharpening again.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
Generally carry a Browning folder or a Case Sodbuster. Sometimes, though I carry a fixed blade Gerber.
Sam

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
Have several OLD Bucks, a Puma and four Gerbers.

Like em all but the two that do the most damage are my Dad's old grafting knife (Soligen(sp) steel made in the 1950's) and a forged small finger kinda knife.  The grafting knife has a 2 1/2" blade.

Don't need anything big to get the job done.  I have gutted moose, elk, deer and lots of other stuff with these two knives.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »
DaveKing, Sorry I've been out of touch the last couple of days helping my mom move.  The Puukko was given to me by a friend who knew nothing about it.  I've asked online but never got any answers.  It looks old though and has a very stiff blade unlike the Rapala filleting knives.  It's a pretty neat knife and sports a Finnish lion decal, hand engraved diamonds surrounded by squigglys on the brass hilt and handtooled designs on the sheath.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Knotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
I love my spyderco folder C41 with the plain edge for just about anything.  I field dressed an elk with it.  God ergonomics and good steel for the money,
56" TD Checkmate Hunter, #55@28
66" Checkmate Crusader, #60@28
60" Meland Pronghorn LB, 65@28

Online SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »
41 years ago my wife gave me a Schrade LB7 for Christmas (1st year we was married). We didn't have much money and she got it for 1/2 price cause the case was missing. Takes a good edge and seems to stick with me (just like the old women).
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline Richard in OK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
I've discovered that I usually carry a SAK Rucksack in the field, and either a Dozier personal straight or small game, or a Loveless-style custom made by a local maker. For Christmas I got a Scagel repro. "personal" from Knives Ship Free," and I've been carrying it as a neck knife. The loveless-style custom is the only one that has been used on game.

Richard

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
SS Snuffer looks like you have a winning combination.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »
If I travel by commercial airliner, I only take folding knives with me, because they have to be packed in my checked baggage, and they do not have shapes that are as obvious to baggage handlers who might feel they need my knife more than I do. Folders do an excellent job of cutting up animals and are very easy to carry around. I normally have 3 folding knives on my person every day and have carried a folder on a daily basis for almost my entire life. With all the regulations and metal detectors around today, I sometimes have to leave my knives at home or in my car and always have to pack them in my checked baggage when traveling by airline.

One time in Africa, my son had just shot a cape buffalo. My professional hunter looked for his knife and realized he had left it back at camp. He asked the trackers if any of them had a knife, and they didn't. He then asked my son and me if either of us had a knife. I pulled a little $20 Gerber folding knife with plastic handle out of my pocket and the trackers proceeded to cut open up the buffalo, take out all its internal organs, cut the buffalo in half around the middle so we could load it in the truck, and then make biltong out of the buffalo's heart. When they handed the knife back to me it was covered with tallow, dirt and blood and was getting pretty dull from cutting through inch thick hide and other tissue. I had to scrape off all the gunk and then clean the knife up really well in hot water and soap when we got back to camp. That's the day I learned how effective even a cheap little pocket knife was on big, tough animals. I will say that my little Gerber would have failed miserably if it had been an elephant rather than a buffalo that we were trying to cut up.

I have used a folding knife a lot for cutting up game animals, but they are not as comfortable or strong as a good fixed blade knife and are much harder to clean up. Because I always carry a folder in my pocket and sweat on it a lot, I prefer stainless steel for the blades. I have been especially happy with S30V knives I have been using the last few years and find the Lone Wolf Harsey T1 plain blade to be my favorite for hunting and daily carry.

Given my choice, I would always prefer to use a fixed blade knife to cut up an animal. I agree with the people posting above who say shorter blade knives are better to use. I like blades from 2 1/2 inches to 4 inches long, with a 5 inch blade being as long as I want to carry with me in the field. Longer knives have their place when butchering the meat for packaging, but they are not so good when you are working on the body of the animal. Something along the lines of Ron LaClair's Skinner knife is hard to beat.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2011, 12:20:00 AM »
I use both a fixed and a folder.Dont laugh,but my folder is my lucky knife.Given to me by my grandad when i was 14yrs old.Im 50yrs old now.It wasnt new when i got it.I would bet its better than 60yrs old."After all,its a Ol Timer"

Offline ncsaknech1ydh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2011, 12:53:00 AM »
This may sound crazy, but for years I have used a Leatherman, the one with the regular and serrated blades. I have dressed several Elk and have not found a blade more up to the task then the Leatherman serrated blade. And also has the saw blade for opening the chest cavity. It is very compact and has many other high quality tools on board when needed. DK.
"Anchor is a place where I can relax in an uncommitted state of mind"

64" BobLee Classic TD LBow 57# @ 32 1/2
64" BobLee BCentenniel TD RCurve  53# @ 32 1/2"
Always looking for BobLee Long Bow or RCurve Limbs, 64" 40# to 50#.

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2011, 01:57:00 AM »
Carry both. Fixed on my belt and a Buck 110 in my pack.

Earl

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2011, 07:38:00 AM »
I used to a fixed blade Buck knife. Now all I use is a folding "8 1/2 Boker. I ounce forgot my Boker and had to use my little 5" folding Kershaw. That took a little more time but it worked and I had that doe gutted in no time.The only problem I really had with that is the knife was EXTREMELY hard to hold onto because of the blood. But it just goes to show you that you can field dress them with something that small if your in a pinch   ;)  

"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
I agree with Frassettor and amar911, a small blade can do things in a pinch that you wouldn't expect it capable of. Last summer I cleaned a dozen bluegills with my "Lil' Shaver" neck knife with a 3" blade. I am very seldom caught without a pocket knife but the neck knife was the only knife I had at the time. I was surprised at how well it performed on those little fish's...   :)  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2011, 10:14:00 AM »
I have a folder that contains a gut hook, saw and blade. I like it for convienence, but I usually take a fixed blade since they are easier to clean.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
You look to be a Stag handle man, Ron. I'm a sucker for them as well and agree with the smaller blade for surgical chores.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
You look to be a Stag handle man, Ron  
Stag is to knives like chocolate is to candy..   :readit: ...   :goldtooth:

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
For years i used a Schrade Uncle Henry folder with a 3" blade.  sometimes I take my buck Personal fixed blade, as well as a Case 16-5 SS and a 3 finn SS in a double sheath, my buck 110 folder, and my Western 648 fixed blade, that I want to make a "Bear Bowhunting Kit" sheath for.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©