3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Survival bowhunt  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
Survival bowhunt
« on: January 06, 2011, 01:02:00 PM »
Has anyone been on a survival bowhunt (on perpose)? Its been something Ive always wanted to do. I think it would be neat to get a few trad guys togeather every year for a annual 3 day "survival" bow hunt ! Any SW Va (or anyone else) guys up for that ?
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Survival bowhunt
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »
My son and I have done it before and it is fun.  We ate woodchucks, caught trout with sticks and line and even ate chipmunk before.  You can get hungry but it really makes you concentrate on your shot when it comes!  We only used flint & steel for fires but that's no big deal.  The hardest ones are in the winter with no man made shelters along and game really thin.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
I'm not in your area, but I'd be interested sometime.  I haven't done it but have thought about it.  I have been mighty hungry in the past a time or two, but not on a bowhunting/fishing trip.
Silence is golden.

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 06:37:00 PM »
Spent the night in Green's swamp one time after blood trailing a doe. Granted this was not "on purpose" but it was just as fun.  Backstraps roasting on a open fire while the yotes / red wolves howled half the night.  Not hard to imagine what life was like here 300 years ago.

Offline outbackbob48

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
Hey Longbowman, My Dad took me an my brother on a little survival trip down French creek from waterford to cambridge springs in 1964. Eight miles by road and three days by boat, what a great time we had hunting frogs an fishin an camping. Thanks for bringin back some old time memorys. Later Bob  Wonder how long it would taken us to get to Meadville d:^)

Offline BrianfromTulsa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
I would really like to do something like that but I'm a little far away.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
I'd love to do something like that. Might get real hungry though the way I shoot. Lol!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
I'd be interested, depending on when and where.  Sam Fadala used to write stories in TBM about his survival hunts in the SW US.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
I went on a 7 day jungle survival trip in the Amazon Basin of Peru. We lived off of everything we could find in the jungle.  One strange things is that the natives did not want to eat the large bullfrogs we found.  But they would kill and eat a 18 inch caiman croc.We did all of the real hunting at night while we floated down the river.
capt eddie

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
I have often thought to myself before I went to the woods "I'm not hungry enough " To make the difference in my hunts .

I think it would make you really focus .

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
Nathan I'd be very interested in doing a survival bowhunt.  I'm between Richmond & Charlottesville. Send me a PM....
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline EL Mejor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
Have thought about it in the past,and has been thrown around in conversation with several hunting partners but never done it.I bet its a hell of an experience...
GREAT MEN LIVE DANGEROUSLY,small men don,t take chances...

Offline Flyboy718

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
I would love to do something like this, I am the furthest south out of everyone so far.
Quinn Stallion Classic 40# @ 29"
Quinn Stallion 50# @ 28"
Quinn Comet XL 30# @ 28"

Offline Flyboy718

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
Whatever state is picked to do this in...I guess you would have to purchase the respective license...I know losts of states now have some really complex lottery/tag systems (really sad by the way that hunting has come to that) that would come into play with this idea I assume?
Quinn Stallion Classic 40# @ 29"
Quinn Stallion 50# @ 28"
Quinn Comet XL 30# @ 28"

Offline perry f.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
They way I shoot, it sounds like a new idea for the "Biggest Loser" T.V. show!

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
Sounds like there is deffinatly plenty of interest ! Lets keep this thread going and see what happens. It would even be cool to document it on video, see just how desperate a man would get (and what he might eat)! Ha !
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
It's alot of fun guys and I would be willing to help out in anyway I can. I think I will do one this spring and test out some new stuff I have and some I need to make.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
I would be interested in doing this. I love to camp and hunt. To date I have not killed anything but I am willing to give it a go. I do have some fat reserves, so I could last a while or maybe not. (:

Martin

Offline Sheepshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 11:11:00 PM »
I have been wanting to do this for some years now. One of these days I'll make it happen. Been thinking about it lots since hunting season ended. Wish you lived near to here!

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »
I might be able to get the land ( 100 acres ) to use in Virginia, if that is enough, unless your going to a state park.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©