3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Survival bowhunt  (Read 1095 times)

Re: Survival bowhunt
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 12:17:00 AM »
Sounds like a great way to lose weight...LOL

Actually it sounds like a lot of fun...good idea given the weather is nice.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 05:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by Nathan Killen:
Sounds like there is deffinatly plenty of interest ! Lets keep this thread going and see what happens. It would even be cool to document it on video,  see just how desperate a man would get (and what he might eat)! Ha !  
You'd be suprised, I've done it back in the 80's with my Dad, I'd love to have that experience with my children but I have all girls & none "of age" that seem intrested in hunting.

I'd love to join you but this year so far looks to be a hard one for me to not have something sceduled, but I'll keep this in mind if I find some open time in my future.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 07:15:00 AM »
When I was younger,me and my friend how lived be side me. Went on a a bunch survial trips but with out the bow used snares and fishing pole made gigs,fish traps,shelters. Not bad if you stay along a creek.
 If you do learn to snare or set some dead falls and gig.It's hard to build a torch that last while giging.With just a bow that be alsome. We were teen agers and never though of that.Even though we bow hunted.
  Went to a survial bow making class once. USED ALL STONE TOOLS. The teacher was impressed. I did'nt tell him untill later that I built selfbows.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 07:52:00 AM »
Here in Virginia a non resident license is cheap ($107. for big game & archery add $31. for 6 more bonus antlerless deer tags). No draw all over the counter.

with the hunting license you get at least 5 deer, 3 turkeys and a bear plus small game.  I know of several places in the mountains (Blue Ridge) that are wilderness areas and are designated as such. One spot is probably 20 sq. miles if not more of nothing but woods.

It is very rugged terrain and would no doubt test ones abilities. I would be more than happy to host such a hunt.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
Sounds like there would be enough VA guys there with big game licenses that us out of staters could just get a small game license and kill the appetizers.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
I and good friend did this once with a bag of rice, a pot and a box of matches for a week. Its fun and you would be surprised what goes good with rice.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
I'm going to be scout Sam Houston National Forest soon and when I find some good spots I want to do a week long hunt like this... Doing it W/O bringing in any food. Just hunt and fish for food..

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
I believe they are going to do a three part series on Backland tv doing a primitive archery survival hunt.  I think they went a week, and only ate what hey could kill and collect.  Should be an interesting couple of shows.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
Well sounds good paleface ! I say lets do it ! We have plenty of time to work out the details. I think october would be the best month. And madness522 has a good point, out of staters could just get smallgame license. I think it would be cool to have a area large enough that we could be droped off at one point and take a few days to hunt through and be picked up at another desination. I think somewhere in the Blue ridge would probably be large enough !
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »
There was another article 12-15 years ago in TBM or PA, where two guys did this in NM.  They had the opportunity to kill a black bear but didn't because they knew their trip would thus be over.

My point is, if you go into it thinking "big game" you are probably going down the wrong path to what you SAY you are trying to do and what offers you the best way to keep going, small stuff and plants.

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
Good point Steve ! We would have to have a plan if biggame of somesort was taken. Guys better be REALLY hungry !
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »
I would have to get some type of book and readup on what plants were eatable in our area.

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
Its alot of fun, did one back in 02 in the Devils Backbone wilderness area in southern Missouri. Went 18th century only a wool blanket and what we could carry in our haversack.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
So what do you guys consider a survival hunt??

Lots of different ways to do it!   :campfire:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
We were taken by motorboat a coule of hours up one river. Then got in a dug out canoe with just fishing gear, bow and arrows,and spears.  There were three of us in a one man canoe.  The area hunter, Marseal, the interpetor Pedro and myself.  The idea was for Marseal to teach my about surviving in the jungle. We would paddle up stream and I would fish.  We would stop along the way and forage for differant types of nuts and food.  In the evening before dark we would stop to forage for more food and eat the fish.  After dark is when we started the serious hunting. Marseal would use an old metal flashlight wires to underwear elastic.  I had a Headlamp. As we were paddling up stream we took turns spearing fish and caiman.  While Marseal were up front I spotted a large bullfrog, Marseal had no intent to spear it. Pedro said they do not eat them.  I told him I DID!!!. they handed me the spear and I harveted the frog.  After several hours paddling up stream we would turn around and start the serious big game hunting with the bow.  Now we can float quietly downstream and loof for Javalina, Tapur, capubarro. And anything else they told me to shoot. This went on for 7 days. I did spear a 5 foot Caiman croc. But no big game. I have hard pictures but do not know how to scan and post.  I did have a Palm bow made and several differant types of arrows and arrow heads made along the way.
capt eddie

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »
Capt:  Those are some awesome stories, please keep tellin' them!

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
That would be fun. I pretend to be doing that most of the time out in the wilderness. Be more fune to do it with others. Bowhunting is not only for big game.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
Nathan, i have just the spot.  I would be willing to host it and take care of all the logistics. Since I have been hunting this area for 40 years I could set everything up.  The area is big enough for 100 + bowhunters so having a survival hunt with around 10 would be perfect.

It's laid out perfect with good boundary/landmarks on all sides to prevent getting out of the wilderness area. If one of the hunters needed    :scared:

There is plenty of small game to include squirrels, grouse, ground hogs, beaver, fox and birds.

October is perfect.  I have the "Rough Mountain Rendezvous" set for Oct. 22 through Oct. 30 of this year. The fall colors are rocking and the weather is usually in mid 40's to high 50's  during the day and night time temps can get down close to freezing.  

I am willing to set this hunt up if we get enough folks committed to do it.  I can set up a nice base camp for those that don't want to do the survival part.  let's see what kind of interest we get on it....
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2011, 02:36:00 PM »
Paleface, that sounds like a awesome plan & who knows I may even be able to set asside some time to do this since it would be around October.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
Since none of my present friends do this kind of hunt( wheely shooters ), I have been busy for the last couple of months setting myself up for a light wilderness type bivy hunt, picking up various camping supplies, so if you guys don't mind having a dang yankee come along I'll be up for it.

Thanks
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©