3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tree saddle. Anyone shoot trad gear out of them ?  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Boswell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tree saddle. Anyone shoot trad gear out of them ?
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
Danny, Thanks for posting a link to my videos. The tree saddle is one of the most verstile treestands on the market. They do take some getting use to but you can shoot 360 degrees. It may require a little movement but you can shoot places than no tree stand can. As for weight tree saddle will win most of the time, it will beat any hang on in weight. The saddle weighing only 4 lbs most hang on are around 11-18 lbs. Some climbers can get close to the same weight. It depends on what climbing system you choose.
Shooting a long bow with the saddle is easy, the bow in that video is a 64 in selfbow. I have shot a 66 easly with no problems. Just remember to pratice alot at home first. Get use to it and then try hunting. It can be frustrating to be trying to tie the knot and can't get it right. So pratice makes perfect.

Thanks
Boswell

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
this was a different brand from M&M sporting goods  but I tried one and my feet slipped off the tree and my legs then swung up in the air while my hip smacked against the tree,,, my body swung so far i was now upside down and the harness started sliding off with my pants...

by the time I got my self right side up again my butt was hanging out and everything in my pockets along with the arrows I had in my back quiver had fell all around the base of the tree I was hanging in,,, I didn't notice til I got to the truck that my keys where missing and I had to go back and look for them.

not sure if this is the same model you guys use but it was really scary and I hunted from the ground the rest of the season and I still can't find my marbles skinner that came out of the sheath that day!
"Us vs Them"

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 06:06:00 AM »
That last entry sounds about right. The Tree Komakazi by One Hunt Inc!!

Offline Sc0

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 07:49:00 AM »
Could always get the real thing?  Some models have the Bosun seat, and even then you might have the option of a floating D ring or similar.

http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Tree-climbing-saddles-harness

But, if you go that far you might start to look into different ways of climbing and descending gear which is a hobby in itself.

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
Here is a build along I did last year. I have hunted out of this seat for more than 20 years and taken dozens of deer with longbows and recurves with it.
 http://***********.bowsite.com/TF/lw/thread2.cfm?threadid=197004&category=88#2527792

Offline BCD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
I agree you can shoot 360 degrees but only with excessive movement. shooting to the right is very difficult. My lone wolf asault is actually lighter than the saddle when you consider the weight of the 4 steps needed for the saddle platform.
BCD

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 02:03:00 PM »
Shooting to the off side isn't so bad if you aren't using a bow that's too heavy  :)    I'm 5'7" and can shoot a 64" longbow without a problem.  The reason I went with a treesaddle rather than a light hang-on was due to noise factor.  A metal tree stand will eventually make noise during set-up or take down.  That is specifically what I cannot have.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Boswell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
BDC,
The assualt is a hang on stand, Say using the same climbing system to reach the assualt and the saddle, the weight would be the same. The difference is saddle weights 4 and assualt weighs 11 so saddle is ligher. My 5 ameristeps steps for my platform weights about 2 lbs, still 5 lbs lighter. Where it gets close is with the alpha series of around 15 lbs so that gives me 11 lbs for sticks depending on type of steps I use depends on the weight that the saddle weights.

Thanks
Boswell

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
I use the sneaky sak on occasion.  Very good out of "conifers" with lots of branches and a small hand saw.  Easy to wear it in and almost no weight..adds versitility and possibility.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Boswell:
Danny, Thanks for posting a link to my videos. The tree saddle is one of the most verstile treestands on the market. They do take some getting use to but you can shoot 360 degrees. It may require a little movement but you can shoot places than no tree stand can. As for weight tree saddle will win most of the time, it will beat any hang on in weight. The saddle weighing only 4 lbs most hang on are around 11-18 lbs. Some climbers can get close to the same weight. It depends on what climbing system you choose.
Shooting a long bow with the saddle is easy, the bow in that video is a 64 in selfbow. I have shot a 66 easly with no problems. Just remember to pratice alot at home first. Get use to it and then try hunting. It can be frustrating to be trying to tie the knot and can't get it right. So pratice makes perfect.

Thanks
Boswell
I watched all your vids after a guy over on the Mathews forum posted about them(Said he went to school with ya).I was interested in trying a saddle after reading John Eberhart's books and watching your well done vids that sealed the deal for me.   :thumbsup:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
I've hunted 2 seasons with a treesaddle and have a love/hate relationship with it.  I figured out a few things this season that really helped me use it more efficiently though... like setting up in straight trees.  Any tree that is on an angle will make you hang in that direction... it can be very uncomfortable.  I also agree that you really have to discipline yourself not to move.  I now like to get into a sitting position and tuck into the the utility belt.  When the deer come I slow get out of that position and grab my bow... that all said I have yet to take a deer from my saddle.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline Junglecat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by mrpenguin:
I've hunted 2 seasons with a treesaddle and have a love/hate relationship with it.  I figured out a few things this season that really helped me use it more efficiently though... like setting up in straight trees.  Any tree that is on an angle will make you hang in that direction... it can be very uncomfortable.  I also agree that you really have to discipline yourself not to move.  I now like to get into a sitting position and tuck into the the utility belt.  When the deer come I slow get out of that position and grab my bow... that all said I have yet to take a deer from my saddle.
Have you spooked many deer from it? Have you got any shots at deer from the saddle?
Bear Grizzly 58"        38 lbs@29"
Black Widow PCH III 60" 44 lb@29"
Black Widow PLX 62"     45 lb@28"
Kentuckian Flatbow  60" 55 lb@28"

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
I used an Anderson Tree Sling (one of those "original" designs from decades ago) and I actually like it a lot.   It is very easy to pack, and very versatile.   Like anything, it takes practice, but I can get into trees with it, that are not possible with other settups.  I have taken many deer out of them with longbows.  

When I was younger, this was my first treestand option purchase and served me well.  There are drawbacks....the kneepads and shooting to the right side, but almost anything has drawbacks.  The worst one, I think was the pressure of standing on steps for hours.  Other than that, I feel safer in one of these than in my other stands, as I'm firmly attached to the tree.   Of course I've hunted some windy days that made me wish I were'nt.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »
[/qb][/QUOTE]Have you spooked many deer from it? Have you got any shots at deer from the saddle? [/QB][/QUOTE]

Yes and No.... I've seen deer many times in the saddle.  Last season I watched a herd of does run across a field 60ish yards out.  It was amazing to see.  I've seen hawks, owls, and even had coyotes (in the dark) about 15 yards off (too dark to shoot but they were CLOSE! I could hear them running and yipping).  This season I had 2 does 30 yards out.  They came in 15 yds from the tree, but there were NO lanes cut in that direction.  I was pretty ticked that I did not anticipate them coming in that direction... figures.  Only deer I got close enough to this season.  It was ROUGH here in CT with the acorn drop being so abundant and ubiquitous.  

Now I've taken many-a-practice shot and it is very natural out of a saddle... but you need to practice so that you have the mental confidence you need cause it does feel different.  In all honesty I recommend beginning to practice with a compound just to build confidence that you CAN connect and then move to your favorite stickbow.  That's what I did and still switch back and forth on purpose.

Really, the only way to really know is try one out.  You can get them cheap enough used and the set up is very quick.  One thing I recommend is checking out John Eberhart's writings.  His recommended set up is the best.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
OH!!  And the coolest thing about a treesaddle is that you can hide BEHIND a tree and then slowly sneak out for the shot.  That's what I did this season, but the shot never presented b/c the growth was too thick that the deer moved into.  

BUT I do not think there was any evidence in their behavior to signify that they knew I was there.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Browning Wasp 50@28

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
I have many many kills from the Saddle or my own swing seat. As far as excessive movement that is with any stand. You definitely need to anticipate the shot and be in position before the deer is to close. I can say that I have never failed to get into position for a shot. I have missed plenty though.

Offline Junglecat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies.I am going to try the saddle out.I have two new ones but havent tried one out yet.The large one is for sale in classifieds.

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
Make sure you get one that fits correctly.  Check with a sales person who really knows them... it made ALL the difference for me.  I bought a large and went to small this year... the small fits so much more comfortably... easier to get on and around with to.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Browning Wasp 50@28

Offline Junglecat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »
I actually bought the large and felt it was too big that is why I went to the medium which feels a lot better.I am 5 ft.11in. and weigh about 177 lbs.Wear W34 L32 pants.

Offline postman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »
Only way to hunt, tried one 2 yrs ago, sold all my hang-ons, and climbers. Sit all day, no problem shooting out of. The trick is to have a good platform. Made mine out of climbing paws with ratchet from hardware store. Leave steps in trees I hunt, climb up and hang platform. Takes about 5 min, and weighs only 2 pounds.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©