3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tree saddle. Anyone shoot trad gear out of them ?  (Read 1269 times)

Offline reddust

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tree saddle. Anyone shoot trad gear out of them ?
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
I tried one several years ago,I did not like it.Everybody is different.
michael schingeck

Offline Jeff Mundy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
To each their own but I love mine. It packs light & easy & it's way more comfortable than most stands i've sat in. To sum it up in one word... versatile.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
Shot four deer out of mine this year.  All with a 62" longbow and I'm only 5'7".  To me its not uncomfortable as I usually sit at least three hours.  I nap a little to.  Like what's been mentioned, you have to pay attention to your setup.  For a guy like me, who doesn't like heights, l consistantly set up 20 feet or more with no worries.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Boone the Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
I have hunted out of my saddle for years, killed 30+ deer out of it 14 with my 64'' longbow and don't have trouble. I honestly wonder how people shoot so well out of tree stands. I cut off the shoulder straps, pack it with some steps in my pack and I can quietly go anywhere and do about anything. I stay mostly cozy in mine, but I don't mind the sometimes uncomfortable way of sitting because I find it to be the most effective way of hunting.
Love the Lord, love your wife and kids, work hard, hunt harder

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »
I used on for one season and hated it!  I cost me several shots at decent bucks.  On the bright side it makes the best harness ever for hanging stands.  So... not a total loss.

Offline Ethical Redneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »
I hunted with the saddle exclusively last season and became really good at getting set up quickly and really liked it initially.  However, this thing is not designed for bigger, heavier guys imo.  I'm 6'0 230 and the saddle just is not comfortable enough for long sits and you will move owing to pinching and your hind end cramping.  Just look at the guy in the youtube vids and John Eberhart, they're thin guys.  I bought a Guido's Web which is more expensive but is just a much better product.  This craftmenship is superior, it's actually hand sewn once you place your order as opposed to mass produced.  The other thing I hated about the Saddle was the tie off.  You have to get it right or you will be screwing with it all day and there is alot excessive movement.  Guido's hook up is a caribiner through a loop and you then just cinch tight aroung the trunk and you climb and then you hunt.  Simple as that.  He also sells and additional belt for under ten bucks that allows you to hook up when you encounter a branch on your way up thus allowing you to safely disconnect your main belt and then reattatch once you've cleared the obstacle.  The comfort level is AWESOME.  Butch's instructional dvd's are on youtube or you can go to Ikes outdoors.com and see a recent review he did which he's shooting his recurve from this outstanding product.  BTW, you can call Butch anytime and this guy will answer all your questions, he's truly a good ol Mississippi boy who loves to bowhunt Whitetails.

Offline danderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2011, 12:11:00 AM »
just started reading "Bowhunting pressured whitetails" and i have to say, its completely changed my thinking. i'm going to make a tree saddle so i can hunt my really far hike in spots. i think they'll really improve my hunting
BW SAX Kingwood 54#

1967 Bear Super Kodiak 50#

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
Agree w/ Ethical Redneck.

Forget the saddle, use Guido's Web.  I have the web and was so glad to ditch the tree saddle.

with the web, you are pushed away from the tree so no knee pads necessary, it is sooooo comfy you can sleep in it!

Now, shooting from these things takes practice, and in my opinion you should do what Eberhard says and get HIGH in the tree.  Now I don't like that part. If possible, get in a tree that you are very concealed, otherwise for some reason, you have to make sure you get up there a bit.

I hunt spooky deer, but you have to get out of their sight which takes practice.

Also, set up so your shots are to the dominant side of the tree. It is too difficult to shoot to your off side so don't even attempt it in my opinion.

Getting higher also allows you to move a bit more for the shot if needed without being seen. Again, I think they are great in the right situation.

Snag has some tips that really helped me, but can't remember the topic

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
There in lies the rub.  You can't shoot to the right without monkeying around the tree!  The only non shot out of a stand is directly behind the tree.  You give up 150-180 degrees of shooting lanes? Why?  Murphy's law (he rules most of my hunting) says that big old buck comes in.... and breaks right.  I know because it happened to me TWICE.  The buck that haunts me stood beneath my tree at about 6 yards for 20 seconds or more..... To my right.  He was meat in the freezer out of a stand.  I was helpless in the saddle.  After that I hung up the saddle adventures and went back to lone wolf light weight hang ons.  Sorry my two cents.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©