3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Howard Hill Longbowmen: What Bowstringers?  (Read 801 times)

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Howard Hill Longbowmen: What Bowstringers?
« on: January 06, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
G'day All,

I've shot Hills for a little while now, and my favourite stringer had a big, tough leather pocket for the bottom limb tip, and a smaller, equally-tough leather pocket for the top limb tip that I trimmed to fit perfectly. However, I gave it away to a young bloke starting-out with his first proper bow, which happens to be a really nice Howard Hill Crocodile Bobcat. I thought I'd be able to replace it easily, but for the life of me cannot find it in any of the shops. 3Rivers and KustomKing have really cut back in their bowstringer options. Does anybody know the stringer I'm talking about and where to get one (or a few)?

I had until recently an Alaskan Bowhunting Supplies stringer, the fluro-coloured one made of webbing material. I bought it about eight months ago, and used it very happily with recurves. Wanting to shoot my Wesley Special, and without my favourite stringer, I decided to try with the ABS one. It said that it was for use with all bows, and even though I was sceptical, I tried. The stringer perished with a horrible noise. I e-mailed ABS about a replacement, but they informed me that they no longer make them and could do nothing to help me.

I'm somewhat scared to use my excellent Webster stringers, because I'm afraid the top limb tip will come-out of the large pocket (it doesn't fit in the small pocket). I believe that an improvement could be made on the Webster stringer by either making the two pockets larger, or adding a third larger pocket. Does anybody have the ear of the people whe make Webster stringers? Tim? These are great for recurves, but I just feel uncomfortable about them with my Hill.

The Black Widow stringer seems to be better suited to the smaller tips of the PLs and their various recurves.

I have in the past tried and given-up on Thunderhorn stringers for Hills. The rubber arrow head just didn't stay put on those narrow limbs. But I read that other people seem to use these for their Hills, so perhaps I need to try harder. My friend uses one for his Barry Johnson D longbow, but his limbs are wider, and better suited to the rubber limb grip.

So, a penny for your thoughts, gents? From what little I've gleaned, it seems many of you happily and successfully use the very stringers I'm scared to use. Any tips or advice?

Cheers,

Ben
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Re: Howard Hill Longbowmen: What Bowstringers?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
I use the Selway longbow stringer and it works on all my Hills. Including my 70" Redman.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
e-mail sent
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
i don't use bowstringers (kids, don't follow my poor example!) but i like the stringer than norm sends out with his blacktail bows - a ribbon of heavy cordura nylon, flapped over and sewn at the ends to make lip tip pockets.  very easy to use on most any bow, and even super simple to make.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
I'll second the stringer that Norm Johnson sends out with his Blacktail bows. I use it on my Hill style bow and it works great. They can be purchased from Blacktail Bows for $6 or $7.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
SelWays for me on Everything ...

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
I use the push/pull method with the lower tip against the side of my foot.  I've done it so long that it's second nature to me.  I never forget my stringer either...

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
I like and use the BW stringer on my recurves and LB and it works great.

Offline Shooty1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
Push/pull, but only for Hill bows because the limbs can't rotate.

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
Ben I know the stringer you are talking about. I used to have one but can not find it. So since starting back I use the Sel-Ways longbow stringer and seems to work fine on my 3 longbows (Hill, Parsons, Great Northern). My self-bow I don't use one, but should I guess.

Earl

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
One of the welcome aspects of straight limbed longbows is the freedom from stringers-on a Hill style push pull works great! IMO anyway.

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
Well Ben,

I hope that I never have to get on here and tell everyone how foolish I feel because of the accident that I've just had, but I don't use a stringer either.

I string/unstring my bows just like Nate described. Have for decades. Lucky so far.

But, I do turn my head to the side while engaging the process.

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
Push-pull here to on straight limbed longbows.
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
Another push-pull for longbows here.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
I use push pull unless the bow is heavy (for me) and/or longer than 66".   My arms are short (25"draw) and as I push further out, I lose leverage.    When I do need a stringer for a longbow, I use webbing one I got from Archery Past.

I always, always use one on recurves when I shoot them, and the one I use is one I made myself.   Wide woven webbing with a flap sewn in the end, and a loop on the other end.   The inside of the loop has had a layer of rubberized non-skid jar lid gripper material sewn on it and will not slide on the limb.   Works very well.   I have used it on longbows, but don't like it as it puts more strain on the upper limb than on the lower, since the loop is not at the end.

I've been thinking about sitting down and stitching up some pocket at both end webbing ones.  I bought 100 feet of the webbing at a canvas supply store when I did the recurve ones.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
Push-Pull for me too...works great and I never get caught without a stringer.

Spanky
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
Bass Pro shop has one made by Neet; however, $16.99 seems a little excessive to me.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 10:49:00 PM »
I just e-mailed Craig about it, and it seems that the stringer I so dearly love might've been made by him and might've come with my first Howard Hill longbow a few years ago. I've asked him to send a couple. It doesn't take long to forget, eh.

I tried to do the step-through method on my longbow, but it is just too much for me, and if I persist I'll hurt something. Perhaps with a lighter bow, it'd be easier (well, I know it is). I did manage to string my heavy BW longbow once, with some adrenaline helping, but it bruised my foot and leg. I should toughen-up, but am finding that I'm growing less tough.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
Push pull never used a stringer on a longbow.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
With my bows, I have to put them between two trees and pull!

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©