3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: had a crazy idea while huntin today....  (Read 1210 times)

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
had a crazy idea while huntin today....
« on: January 06, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
well if youve ever hunted on the ground for deer in a new spot for the first time even  after you have it set up for awhile the deer seem to be nervous around the blind. well what if you took a manican dressed in camo like you wear and put it in the same spot youd be standing so the deer would be used to the shape there? or is this just a stupid idea? idk i just had the thought and wanted to share....

steven
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: had a crazy idea while huntin today....
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
I have heard of guys doing that with a treestand. The only good tree in the spot they wanted to hunt had no backround cover.

I'm sure you could make your blind better though. If the deer can see something "still" in there, what happens when you move a bit to draw?
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Scout 52

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
I have a friend that hunts out of blinds all the time.. In the off season he puts that camo netting up where he is going to put his blind, kinda the same thing. The deer are used to it all the time.. And not that much wear and tear on the blind..

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
If it's a pop-up you should brush it in best you can. It's even better if it's safe to leave it set-up for some time, they'll get used to it. If it's a natural blind that you built-up, they'll get used to it also after awhile. Lots of guys build them, or set them-up, awhile before hunting them, especially if the deer are real nervous where they hunt.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »
its not that there seeing me i had 1 within 5  yards of my blind but on the backside of it and it didnt give me a shot. i only had 3 bust me but its caused they walked donwwind of me. i was just curious cause ive had deer bust ee in stands before and was wonderin if it would make the deer less jumpy.....

Offline Brad Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
Couldn't hurt. Try it and see. What's there to loose? Good luck bro! I think now is the time to be experimenting without doing much damamge for next years hunts. They will probably forget any spooks from this year to next. I say go for it and tell us what you find out.
Mommy, where does bacon come from??
Well, a pig sweetheart.
Well how does a pig lay bacon??
Cassie 5

Daddy, what season is it?
Well, winter season honey.
No! What "hunting" season is it!!
Cassie 8

Kids, ya gotta love'um!

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
I new someone who would put a bag of leaves in his treestand to get them used to the big blob in the tree.

Couldn't hurt, though you may get a visit from the sheriff if someone sees you dragging a body into the woods.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
Sounds cool and if you got a trail cam set it there and let's experiment and see what takes place when we ain't around...  :thumbsup:

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
ill giver a try after deer seasons over. only 1 question.... what to use for the body?????

Online Cocklebur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
It sure wouldn't hurt anything and might help a bunch.

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
Someone actually commercialized that same idea back in the I believe late 80's. Never seen or heard much about it after the first year, so don't know if it works or not.

I would try the bag/blob idea first, seems cheaper. Large leaf bag for the body and a small kitchen bag for the head.

Earl

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
I am not a big fan of the Drury's Dream season series, but he did this about 4 years ago, on a segment on his own property. He had a blind made of 3 pieces of tin, in a corner of a food plot, and set a lawn chair with a manequin, camo t shirt in it all year, then swapped out. A BBiiig buck came walking right in in front of him, and this was no high fence or anything.
samuel koger

Offline Bama Recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 11:57:00 PM »
I play around with that idea every year.. i'll give it a shot this year
"Relax and pick a spot"

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »
When using a pop-up some guys tie a balloon to the ceiling...moves around just enough in the wind so that deer get used to some movement.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »
I did that in a tree stand when I lived in coastal SC. I stuffed old army camo fatigues with newspaper and set it in the stand a week before the hunt began.  Didn't see the first deer while hunting there.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 06:07:00 AM »
I've heard of guys trying this but Ive never heard how it worked out I think it would be worth a shot.
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 07:17:00 AM »
Give it a try and let us know what happens. I am curious as to how it would work as well.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 07:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by $bowhunter$:
ill giver a try after deer seasons over. only 1 question.... what to use for the body?????
Go to your local thrift store and buy natural colored clothing. Several in my area have camo clothing on the racks all the time. I go looking for belts and leather clothing for projects. There were two tree stand harnesses in one local thrift store that were $10 each. Both looked brand new.

Once you buy a top and a bottom stuff them with leaves and tie/sew the ends of the legs and sleeves and then the top to the bottom. If you get a hoodie top then you can sew up a head on the dummy. A few bucks and time and you're in business.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline michigan bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
I think it would work.
I keep two pop-up blinds up all year (in the shade, they last about 3 years) and in each blind I have installed the following:
1.   the loudest battery powered clock I can find.  I think the deer get used to the TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK and maybe don't pay so much attention to any of my little sounds from within the blind (say an arrow being drug over a rest) and,
2.  a bandanna hanging from the roof inside with my scent all over it.  I rub it on my face, neck, "etc." each time I am in the blind to "freshen" it.  I still only hunt a blind when the wind is in my favor, but what the heck, it seems like it works.
Bill
I'm just happy to be here!

Offline illwhttail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
There was a company selling life size blowup dolls just for this reason.
I think it was called the hunting buddy,you can do a search and see if there still around, if not you can go to your local adult store and get one.
The mouth is allready pre formed for a grunt tube.   :eek:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©