3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Foley or Palmer?  (Read 712 times)

Offline BCD

• Trad Bowhunter
Foley or Palmer?
« on: January 07, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
I've been considering buying one of the two for quite some time. I know they are both great bows and I know Ron is better in the customer service area.

My question is, which one shoots faster?

Thanks
BCD

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Foley or Palmer?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
I can only speak for Palmer. I have a 55# Trad. It is the fastest bow I own and really forgiving.

Offline 4Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
I own a 62"Foley TD recurve 53lbs @ 29" and I have shot quite a few Palmers and you have chosen two bows at the top of the heap when it comes to performance.  You really can't go wrong with either.  I gave the nod to the Foley because I like the feel of the shot (and it sure is pretty).  A soft quiet thunk and a 30" GT 75/95 with a 250gr broadhead leaving a vapor trail.  Just the thought wants to make me run home and shoot a few arrows.  Get your hands on some and have fun deciding.

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
Foley would be my choice-

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »
I have a Palmer double carbon 3 pc. recurve, I purchased it on here form one of the guys. It shoots great, very accurate and I like it a lot. I must admit though Mr. Palmer needs a few classes in dealing with potential or future potential customers, it's not that he is nasty in any way just kind of bland, but I was told that this is how he has always been, I don't think it's a negative if you can deal with it.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline fatbuck12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »
Ron Foley is a good man and makes a good bow. Palmer's bows are really a Bob lee bow-which are as good as they come.

Offline Rosco1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »
For me.....? The Foley for sure! I have shot them both and I give the props to the Foley. Nothing wrong with the Palmer but the Foley suits me much better. As a matter of fact, my Foley has been and will be my "go to" bow for many more years to come.

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
No experience with Foley but I have nothing but good things to say about the Palmer I owned. Great shooter... fast, quiet after a few tweaks and well mannered. Nancy was always very helpful when I needed something... always answered my emails.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
Never bought a new Palmer so I haven't had any dealings straight with the factory. That said of all the bows I've shot I think Palmers are top notch. Tuned right they are a quiet, fast ,very smooth and a pleasure to shoot and hunt with. I've had three and just sold one and at the end of the transaction I really wish I had kept it. Of the two left one is a single carbon and one is straight fiberglass backed limbs. I really believe the straight fiber glass is a little faster. Still I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Palmer if the deal arose.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline TRAD900

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
Palmer makes a great bow and the customer service is awesome.He stand behind every bow he makes, and you never have to wait for a response from an inquiry.
HH Wesley Special 68" 57#@29"
HH Wesley Special 66" 55#@27"
HH Wesley Special 62" 57#@28"
Wes Wallace Royal 68" 60#@31"
Wes Wallace Royal 68" 56#@28"

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
BCD,, I seen other posts where your still checking into these bows.. I luve my Palmer but I never shot a Foley and only heard good things about them.

I think the Palmer is a year wait now and he is only making the Slam series. if you haven't already start looking into the wait time and options and all that because I think you pretty even in the performance dept and it comes down to grip feel and stability.  I found my palmer got very stable for me when I used a high brace so I brace my 60" at 7 3/4 and I lost some speed but gained a versatile arrow so any broadhead or fletch will work.  

also trying using the search options here and in other forums to really dig deep.

goodluck..
"Us vs Them"

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
 Palmer makes a great bow and the customer service is awesome.He stand behind every bow he makes, and you never have to wait for a response from an inquiry.  
Really ? that ain't my experience !!!!!!

Foley all the way ! Heck of a nice guy , even with just enquiries who wants to please the customer !

I don't like to feel as the guy I'm buying from is doing me a favor when I have to contact again and again and again over warranty issues that never got satisfactorily fixed in the end anyway .

Foley makes a great bow and is great to deal with.

As for the other option , I was taught that if you can't say anything nice , don't say anything at all.

I also had to giggle though when i rang and asked about getting a higher poundage set of limbs for an upcoming asiatic water buff hunt , only to be told to stop being silly and that the 52# i had would be fine . lol
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 06:00:00 PM »
Sorry you had bad experiences Ben.

How do (did if you don't have it anymore) you like your Palmer?
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 06:23:00 PM »
Kawika b ... the shot well until the riser cracked after maybe 100 shots .
To be honest , it was perhaps a bit louder than i like but I probably didn't shoot it enough as the riser cracked badly and it would have been dangerous to shoot anymore .
 It was a fast bow though.
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
I've never owned a palmer bow, but I called him once about a hunt with his outfit.  No need to go into detail, but I never hunted with him, never will and wouldn't buy a bow from him either based on how he treated me on that phone call.  There are too many awesome bowyers out there that act like they want your business and will treat you like family.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
I met Mike at the PBS banquet this year and hunted with him this fall on the hunt he donated to the PBS auction.  He's not the warmest personality you'll find when he doesn't know you well but he's all but offered me the shirt off his back with nothing from me in return.  He's a bowyer and an outfitter, not much of salesman.

Offline bubinga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
I have shot both and my wife's main bow is a Foley.  Both are great bows, but the nod goes to Ron when you factor in the entire package.

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ben Maher:
Kawika b ... the shot well until the riser cracked after maybe 100 shots .
To be honest , it was perhaps a bit louder than i like but I probably didn't shoot it enough as the riser cracked badly and it would have been dangerous to shoot anymore .
 It was a fast bow though.
Yours is a familiar story. I've heard many stories exactly like that and am grateful my experience was different. Too bad Mike didn't square things away for you.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
I've met Ron, and shot his Foley longbows; however, I don't remember even seeing a Palmer (I'm told they are very good bows).

What I will suggest is that customer service AFTER THE SALE makes a great deal of difference.  

Your choice.

David
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline ShooterF150

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
I LIKE MY FOLEY A GOOD SHOOTER  AND RON  IS A GOOD GUY TO  TALK TOO

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©