3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What are the best RECURVE bows for your buck?  (Read 2411 times)

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What are the best RECURVE bows for your buck?
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
Zipper Bows is going to have a new model that may be just what you are talking about.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
I have a small fortune of custom bows hanging at home. And a couple other small fortunes have passed through my hands buying and selling quite a pile of used bows. (Which is a great way to try out a bow you might be interested in)

So what bow did I carry in the woods this fall?  A 1968 Bear Super Kodiak. The old Bears, Damon-Howatts, Wings, Pearsons, etc. shoot great and look good too.

As for the newer recurves, the top of my own list are RER, Rose Oak, Dale Dye. But your list is bound to be different.
Personal preference is the deciding factor, and what is best for someone else won't always be best for you.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online CDR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
I agree with Whip, you can't go wrong with an older Bear!

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
I have a number of custom bows and I love all of them but I really do believe that other than satisfying my desire to own pretty and unique pieces of functioning art, they aren't noticeably one bit better than a Bear Griz or Super K or a Damon Howatt Hunter or other bows in that category.  

I've whittled my collection down to 8 recurves.   I love my Super ks but my go to bow is my Wes Wallace Partner that I've owned for over 15 years.   If it weren't for that Partner I'd stay with an early 70's Super K.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
I started  in the 60's with a Bear.  Have had several since then.  They are likely the best bang for your buck.  As has been said, you can find them pretty easy other than the high end collectable models will bring some bucks.

The bow sale area here will give you some opportunity...

Its up to you and your budget....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
Quinn Stallion. Go to their website, they are back up and building bows after David Quinn passed away about 2 months ago. Their bows shoot as fast and smooth as BW's, I know, I sold 2 to buy more Quinns. Riser is alum., bombproof, but easy to transition to coming form wheelie bows. Has one of the best records around on limb quality, and the guy who is making them now, working for the Quinns, is as good or better at limb making that David was, per my last conversation with him before he passed.They also have a wooden riser that is about the same weight, beautiful, with bubinga limbs and clear glasss. A lot of folks buy the Quinns as an entry level bow, $279 for a Stallion, new, but end up sticking with them. PM me back  if I can be of any help.
samuel koger

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
I picked up an older Bear Polar recurve (1962, but not exactly sure) on Craigslist.  No cracks, twists, scratches or dings or holes drilled.  Its a very smooth bow, as well.  I got it at a great price from somebody who had no interest in archery, who said it had been sitting in their house for 10 years.  I plan to shoot it for a while, then either give it away to someone or sell it and make a little money.

You can find deals out there, and that'd be a great way to get ahold of an inexpensive bow that you can shoot until you decide whether you like it or not.  If you are unsure when you come across a bow like that, the Tradgangers would be glad to give a good quick opinion on whether it'd be a good choice.  Keep your eye on Craigslist, local classifieds, estate sales, etc.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
As far as new,custom bows,the Whisperstik Mojostik is a lot of bang for the buck.I have two and still can't get over how well they shoot and how quiet they are.They are definitely a couple of the best bows I have ever owned and my favorites right now.

Online Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »
Best new recurve for the money IMHO is a Quinn.

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2011, 10:36:00 AM »
Shooting trad bows since 1970 and have owned quite a few different brands of recurves. For my money a Black Widow is hard to beat. Smooth, accurate and very well built. I did keep a few old Bears in rememberance of Fred and shoot occasionally .
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
Holm-Made, right here on this site, Chad builds a Beauty that'll shoot with the Best of em ...

Offline mongoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
I have to add another vote for the pittston predator, I have 2 one is 51#@28(snaked limbs by me), and a classic 43#@28  :notworthy:
stalk softly and carry a bent stick

Offline Paul B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
For the "best bow for the buck" I have found that a Bear black bear riser and ILF adapter plate and ILF fitted limbs is the best shooting, most accurate bow I have, or maybe I should say that I shoot this one the best and I can change limbs to suit the day. The old riser was $40 and $30 for the adapter plates and about $150 for a set of limbs(some I bought used and some new low end).
I admit it is not the prettiest bow but it is a shooter.
Howatt Hunter 50#
Black Bear Warf 46#
1965 Pearson Locksley Tiger recurve 41#

"If thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus , and shalt believe in thine heart that God has raised Him from the dead thou shalt be saved." Rom.10:9

Online GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
My favorites are Ron LaClair's Li'l Favorite and Lone Wolf Kayapo by John Maus. Picking a bow is almost as personal as picking a wife; some just fit, some do nothing but give you nightmares!
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
GREYBEARD hit the nail on the head,me personally I like zippers.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline jrbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
Don't know if it's been mentioned because I was too lazy to read through 3 pages of responses,but for the money Tarbell makes a very good shooting and easy to look at bow and after I bought one (new for 229.00 delivered) off of the big auction site I asked a tuning question about the bow and the response I got was signed N.Tarbell he's been around a long time and the experience is reflected in the quality and performance of his bows,his bows aren't always on there and the weight you want may be hard to get but be patient and keep watching one will turn up,I think I watched for over a year before I found one but it was worth it,these shouldn't be overlooked.
SAVE A STUMP SHOOT A DEER

Offline doowop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »
Quinn or a Warf.

Offline Tatorbones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
I want to thank everybody for their advice, I have a lot of great looking bows to check out and well see what I finally choose. I'm hoping to go to the show in feb. in missouri at the hotel, well see though.
If it is easy where is the fun. That is why I use a stick and string. The only sight I need is with my eyes.

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
that question is subjective
i quess the one that shoots the best for you
for me its
predator
black widow
bear 76er
quinns
not nessasarilly in any order just what i like to shoot
kevin

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
I have a Silvertip, Awesome bow, smooth as butter, everything you want in a bow. BUT... you can get by with a hole lot less. I could have bought 4 or 5 old but good bows for the price I gave for one. I've shot alot of old dandy bows! thats the route I'd take! JMHO!! Jason

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©