3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First hunt of the year!  (Read 519 times)

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
First hunt of the year!
« on: January 08, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
Wish me luck, we have 6" of fresh snow on the ground and I have time to finally get out in Ct this January. It's my buddies first season and he's been seeing at least 10 deer any evening he's been out on this property, sometimes upwards of 25! My goal tonight is to get him on a deer and maybe tag one myself. We have a few stands up but I am bringing my new ghost blind and may try that out depending on the wind. My fiance got it for me for christmas and I had a chance to try it out at the end of december. I had 2 deer within 10yds and clueless until the wind shifted, but even then they couldn't see anything that spooked them. They stood there looking all over for a while before leaving, or giving me a shot, but even in the open they didn't "pin" me. The thing is pretty freaking cool. I know Logan would love to see me kill something with her present.....and yes I did say fiance, we just got engaged and are getting married in August. She's even letting me plan the wedding around the Muzzy Stump Shoot! How awesome is that!
Anyway, keep your fingers crossed and I'll keep you posted on how this afternoons hunt works out!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First hunt of the year!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
Good luck, and congrats...sounds like you've landed a good one buddy    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
Ah... girls that understand our hunting needs...

Thats a good one hang on to her.

Good luck on the hunt....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
Take good care of that lady bud, she sounds real fine.Congrats.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
Sounds to me like she needs to get her hands on a bow and some arrows.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »
"She's even letting me..." You got that right buddy! A happy wife makes a happy life my friend. Consider yourself fortunate to have a life partner that shoots a bow, gives you the freedom to hunt and loves you before and after a haircut.   :p  

* Will the beard come off for the wedding? Or are you going for the Grizzly Adams look?   :eek:   Hippie!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
Mikey, Greg has chosen you to be the ring boy and he wants you to grow a matching beard.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
Haircut??? He doesnt need one does he?

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
Congradulations on the engagement. Hap

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »
Congrats on the engagement!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
Congrats. brother, looks like your starting off the new year the right way.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
:clapper:     :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
Thanks guys I am very excited about getting married and I am very lucky.
But right now it's still hunting season....... Saturday was awesome,snow covered everything and Toby, my sisters boyfriend and one of my best friends was with me. He has only been hunting for about a month and my main goal was to get him in a good spot and sit back and watch him shoot his first deer.

There was a ton of deer sign in the fresh snow where they had been digging for acorns the night before. I was hopeful one of us would get a shot.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
I wasn't in the stand an hour before this girl headed my was from about 200yds off

She came into 6yds from me and was 2 steps from being broadside when the wind swirled and she got a little spooked. She didn't run off, just slowly walked away without presenting a good shot. It was a great way to start the afternoon. We saw about 15 more deer before 4:00 but none in range. Around 4:00 it seemed most of the deer had headed east of us as at least 30 deer were making there way into the field 150yds away. There was at least one really nice 8pt pushing does around and it was fun to watch. I looked to the north and there were a few does on the hill in front of Toby. I was watching to see if they would come in but after a few minutes I looked to my right and had a lone deer quickly closing the distance between us. The deer came by at 20yds but because of the 4 trunks of the Beech tree I was in I had no shot. The deer turned and ended up right under Toby, who managed to take his first deer in front of me. It was awesome. I can't wait until I can get back there with my Ghost Blind along the edge of the field east of where I was sitting. I'd love to get a crack at that big buck, but wold be tickled with a doe. I just feel lucky to still be in the woods and building memories with friends and family.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Skipmaster1:
.....and yes I did say fiance, we just got engaged and are getting married in August.
YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup:      :jumper:
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »
Great winter pictures!  Good luck with your hunting and adding a new member to the fun!

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

48# Spirit longbow
45# Martin Hunter recurve

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »
Greg,congrats on the engagement...sounds like a great gal.And how cool is that you got to watch your bud take his 1st deer ever?!?  :thumbsup:We need details and pics.Great pics. already,bye the way.

Offline GraniteStater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »
Those are some nice pictures!  And congrats on a good girl!
1Peter 5:6,7

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 01:16:00 AM »
It was awesome to see him take his first deer, but he's not a trad hunter so I won't get into details or post pics of that. He has really been bitten by the bug and  is already asking about longbows though, so hopefully next year I'll have some pics of his to share. I am going tomorrow before the snow storm to find a good place to set up my blind or hang a stand in the area I saw the majority of the deer. I hope maybe to get out right after the snow on wed, and will be out there sat and monday afternoons. Late season on this property is an afternoon affair and is pretty counter productive in the mornings. I have so few afternoons to hunt with my work hours that I don't get out nearly as much as I'd like.

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 01:58:00 AM »
Way to get a new guy into hunting regardless of his weapon choice. You got to start somewhere.

Those are very nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

Paul
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©