3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: experimenting  (Read 899 times)

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: experimenting
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 07:53:00 AM »
I agree with Rob on that to. The feathers are a bit on the small side. I use nothing but 5 1/2 inch feathers on my shafts.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
Go Big Or Go Home! lol
Tom

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 08:05:00 AM »
I shot the razors out of my compound and found they where loud,, Dick I think I still have some just for you if you want to give this a try on one of those huge 23/64 flying telephone poles you hill guys use.

if your bow bareshafts these perfect and it should be close with 200-250gr points you can use even 3/4 feathers if you want,,, if your getting a swing effect on the shot it will do the same thing to a certain point with the smaller fletch.      also rule of thumb is the broadheads shouldn't be bigger than the fletch if your not sure about spine,,, another thing is if you don't already do this you need to take a broadhead file and file the inside of those arrow nocks so they do snap on (or stay on) and stay while the arrow is hanging and then when you lift the bow quick they come off--> critical to bareshaft tuning I think.

if these fly good I'd love to see how a 2" wide treeshark or somethingn similer will fly out of it.

as for broadhead vs fletch size I have a bow here that bareshafts perfect out to 30yds my max BS distance.  I put a Treeshark on that arrow that spun perfect and it hit right on at 20yds.  my other bows that BS good always have a little sway with the big heads but this time its dead on OR I see no kick or drifting so itt can be done.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Tradesmen4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
Well I went out and shot afew arrows with 200 grain field points. They flew pretty good. They kicked alittle to the left, but hit where I was aiming. I'm going to play with them later today with broadheads. Haven't shot in a couple weeks. My release could be the biggest factor.Not rushing out to hunt anything until fall ,I've got some time to play around. I don't always think inside the box.
greg ketchum

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 08:13:00 AM »
kicking to the left is not good,, hitting where your aiming is what the compounds do (sometimes me and my friends)  But left is easy because your point is too heavy so try throwing a 125 if you have one laying around and see what it does.

depending on the kick you may need 150-175 (which as a test can be added on to a 125 with small washers or screw nuts if you have a scale.

everyone has that favorite way of holding the string but for now hold the string as un-obstructive as possible so hold it where it feels like its going to slide off accidently,,, this elimnates so much guess work and will get you good results faster.  

I've noticed in the end when I do use my favorite way of holding the string I lose a tad of speed and the spine becomes a hair stiff which is good for broadheads they say.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Tradesmen4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 08:17:00 AM »
Thats what I'm trying later today. Thanks Greg
greg ketchum

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©