3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: feathers ground  (Read 298 times)

Offline hvac tech

• Trad Bowhunter
feathers ground
« on: January 08, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
hey guys i just received back my feathers from charles jefferson ..they are a extra nice .i will be sending him all my feathers in the future  .all i need now is some suggestions on dying them any help .

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: feathers ground
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »
You've got a pm.

Keeping the Faith!
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
Thanks Hvac.  All I have ever use is Rit Dye in warm water and then put in cold water with vinegar.  I did some yellow and brown and they came out fine.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
Ive been using rit as well,and havent had them bleed out yet.A fellow on her told how to do it with coolaid too.I got some but havent tried it yet,but will.It would allow for some more bright colors if it works.It seems to help to put your feathers in a mild solution of water with a bit of dishwashing liquid before you dye them.I think the soap acts as a wetting agent,helping the dye to take better.And the vineager seems to set the dye to keep it from washing out.

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
Oh yeah,you better just boil up your die with the camp stove as I had a slight boil over in the kitchen and a mad wife ,now banned from feather dying in the house,and sleeping with the dog.

Offline longstiks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 06:51:00 AM »
Same as what chanumpa said, but I've done mine with the coolaide. The soaking in soapy water helps the color set better but removes the natural oils that keep them more waterproof naturally. I also added vinegar after soaking for a while and never had any bleeding problems. I use 2 packs at a time for better colors I've only done orange and yellow but both worked well.After dying I rinse off in cold water and lat flat between paper towels to dry.
Denny

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©