3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best Boots for North East...  (Read 738 times)

Offline NYArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Best Boots for North East...
« on: January 08, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »
I have searched and searched for a good lightweight, insulated hunting boot and I'm starting to believe they don't exist. There are many versions out there that are designed for long hiking Western Hunters problem is the insulation is very poor. What about a guy in the North East that hikes a few miles into the deep timber in the snow? What I have now works but just curious if there was something out there a few peeps may recommend.
Choose this day whom you will serve...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Joshua 24:15

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Boots for North East...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 12:19:00 AM »
I've got a pair of Sorel Crusaders that are good for sitting and a pair of Irish Setters that I prefer for moving.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 12:27:00 AM »
What have you tried?

Have you tried Danner Pronghorns?

How about Kenetrek?

Kenetrek Mens Mountain Extreme 1000 Insulated Hikers # KE-420-1000

Price: $395.95

Quantity:    

"Carry all the weight you can stand through below zero temperatures in the most hostile terrain imaginable. The 1000 grams of Thinsulate insulation combined with a Windtex, waterproof, breathable membrane keeps you warm and dry. Slippery vertical terrain meets its match with the firm nylon midsoles, steel shanks, and high traction K-Talon outsoles. Padded tongues, collars, and a firm yet flexible lacing system cradle you in comfort. Triple stitched one piece vamp uppers are made of thick 2.8 mm top grain leather."  

Do you use heavy duty Hiking Socks like Smartwool?

If I am hiking, I don't need a ton of insulation. When I am sitting on stand, I use 800 gram Rocky Boots with toe warmers and electric socks.

If I were going to hike in and sit in one spot, I would use 400 gram Pronghorns with heavy socks, toe warmers, and electric socks.

If I had the money, I would go with Kenetrek, but I will stay with Pronhorns for now.

Good luck,

Paul
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 01:41:00 AM »
I picked up a pair of Danner Pronghorns from Cabelas on sale for $130.00, 800 grams...the best money I spent in a long time! Warm, waterproof and about 2 days to break em in if that!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Tutanka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 01:49:00 AM »
Lowa, schnees, kenetrek, lathrop and sons, danner, and meindl, just to name a few. All high quality hiking boots, ranging from 450.00 to 150.00.

Offline gypsymech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 04:33:00 AM »
for what your talking about, i would go with steger mukluks, short, and wool gaiters. a thick pair, or 2 of smart wool socks and you will have happy feet. they are half the weight of my old sorrels and they do the job in the cold. get them 2 sizes over what you normally wear and you can stuff 2 liners in them. they don't have the ankle support a boot will have, and i wouldn't use them for any serious hiking, but they will keep your feet toasty, and unlike a rubber capped boot, they breathe for better moisture wicking. i own 2 pair, a tall and a short, just prefer the short cause they work better for me with the gaiters.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 05:55:00 AM »
i just bought a pair of hi-tec v-lite altitude ultra hikers.  like walking on sunshine.  sweet.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 06:24:00 AM »
I hunt in the Northeast and found that a good pair of leather boots with medium insulation and a light cotton sock keeps my feet warmer than the heavy boots with heavy socks. My feet would sweat when I walked and when you stopped you feet would freeze.

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
I'm in the same climate,, if its for standing in the stand or still hunting only then I use the boots ice fisherman in canada use and thats the Baffin Poler series rated to I think 150 below,, my feet with a thin athtletic running sock (you cannot wear heavy socks with these or your feet will cook) never once got even a slight chill with these and I used them this season down to 10 below during blackpowder.

the old fall back is a rubber boots 1-2 sizes too big with a wool insole and then double the wool socks but hiking I'm not sure if these would work
"Us vs Them"

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
I've never owned a pair, but I have heard good things about the L.L. Bean boots.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
If I'm on the move or stalking, I like my 200wt LL Bean hunting boot. It does not have square edges and you have a feel of ground with every step. In a treestand its good to 35* and if colder I'll slip on the Boot Blankets-good to 0*.
When temps are lower than that I wear a felt lined Sorel Trapper boot and if on stand I'll slip on the Boot Blankets. This system will serve me to below zero conditions. My socks consist of a Polypro sock liner and a heavy wool sock.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
x3 on LL Bean hunting boot.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
I wear lacrosse burlys int he earl season and muck cold weather boot in the winter.  A couple of layers of wool socks, varying to meet the temps and I have all I need.  I like the burlys for early season as they have a little insulation and good feel for walking quietly.  The mucks have a much stiffer tread, but I usually don't use them until very late int eh season and there is often snow.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
Hard to go wrong with some type of insulated RBLT(rubber bottom leather top). For the cold and snow I have a pair of Schenees(Bozeman, Montana) with insulated boot and removable liner. If I tramp enough, my feet sometimes seem too warm...
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
I like my LL Bean Maine Hunters.  Made in The US.  I wear a couple pair of wool socks.  I like them for snowshoing when the snow gets deep.  Mine are uninsulated but I may get an insulated pair.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline RRock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »
This will give you a chuckle but it works, at least for me. A local farmer told me about this. Get a pair of nike or similar shoe, wear a thin pair of dress socks under a heavy pair of wool socks. For the boot part of the get up, a pair of rubber farm muck boots (not the brand name muck boots) that you buy at the local feed mill or farm supply store. I've been using this setup for several years now in some pretty cold temps for several hours. Don't know how it would work in sub zero temps, never tried and we normally don't get them around here and this set up is light. Also don't get the rubber boots to tight.

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 11:43:00 AM »
In cold weather I wear a good pair of medium weight boots (insulation) to walk to my stand.
then on go the boot blankets, my feet never get cold with boot blankets and hand warmers inside.

Offline Two Dogs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »
Muck WoodyMax

Offline Mark Sherlinski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
Hunt all over the NE, Western states and Canada and I don't think you can beat Schnee's out of Montana. There are at least 7 of us from PA that ordered them and I don't know of anyone that does not use them and like them.
PBS Qualified Life Member

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
i have two pair of ll bean boots (leather uppers, rubber bottoms.  the first pair are the hi-tops the other the lows.  they are *great* boots ***EXCEPT*** they will chaffe the sides of most folks' feet because the overlap stitch seam of the leather and rubber is *exactly* where yer ankle is located.  didn't learn with the first pair, how stupid of me.  

they're both going back - VERY POOR CONSTRUCTION DESIGN!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©