3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: toe warmers  (Read 1005 times)

Offline EHK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
toe warmers
« on: January 09, 2011, 06:54:00 AM »
just wondering how many of you have used toe warmers under your toes.  I've been using them on top of my toes in the colder weather, but my feet still tend to get cold on stand after a few hours.  I'm using them with a 1400 gram thinsulate boot.  I'm afraid to try pac boots as I'm not sure they'll fit into my lone wolf climber.  For those that use them under their toes, I'm wondering how well they work and if they bother you when hiking to your stand.

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: toe warmers
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 07:11:00 AM »
What brand, I've used them all and the best bar none in my eyes are Grabber. Toasty toes and there's one other brand that's not very good. Because the toes don't get any air or not much in your boot. It's best to take them out of the pack 15-30mins before you put them in your boots. We can hunt till Jan 31st so I live on them. I use mukluk type boot covers so I can wear thinner boots. I slip them on once in stand and drop a mega warmer in each. Your feet are warm as can be with that combo.

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 07:24:00 AM »
I have always had trouble with cold feet. In the past I always wore thick socks and White's pack boots (rated to 40 below). Still got cold feet. This year, I switched my thinking, I wore 400gr. boots with thin socks. This produced less "clamy" feet on the walk-in. Once in the stand I put on Artic Shield boot blanket (christmas gift from my wife!), inside each boot blanket I put one of those heat packs. TOASTY!! Even down in the low single digits.

chris <><

Offline greg fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 07:26:00 AM »
I use toasty toes and put them underneath.   This year I tried top and bottom at the same time.  I fought cold feet all day.  I believe it was too much heat and my feet sweat.  I'll try the Grabbers next year.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »
I have tried a lot of different boots over the years. I have several pairs of pack boots that will keep my feet warm in anything but I just cannot walk in them.

This year I tried the toe warmers (2 different brands) and am totally impressed. I use them with my regular muck boots which are great for walking.

I think the key is that they do not produce the type of heat that the handwarmers produce. Rather it is just a dull warmth which keeps your feet warm without overheating and sweating.

I am not sure what has changed because I tried the toe warmers many years ago and found them ineffective in my boots. I presumed the issue was lack of oxygen but who knows. Regardless, they work great for me now and I highly recommend them.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
Even more important than the heaters....!!!!! Make sure your boot/ sock combo is not tight. If you don't have PLENTY of room in there to wiggle your toes around your blood circulation is restricted and you're going to get cold feet quickly even with the warmers.
 I have poor circulation, so I cannot last like most average people without massive effort.
 For me I put on a light pair of merino socks. Then an oversized pair of heavier wool hunting socks so that the fit is not tight over the first. My cold weather boots are oversized too, by one size, so there is room to move my toes around. I'm good like this with toe warmers down to about 15-20 degrees with 800 gram rubber boots. Colder I switch to Schnee's hunter and colder still I go to a felt pac. If my warmer runs out, I put a new one in my pockets till its warm, then take off the boot and switch them. It sucks in a stand but, I'll last a few more hours by doing it. Never had any issues walking with them.
David M. Conroy

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
I suffer from poor circulation in the extremities and have a siginificant issue with feet/hands.  I do top and bottom, but have the same issues Onions mentions.

I like the idea he is going with now.  I may look for those on sale.  Thanks for the thread
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Al Natural

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
I agree with onions.  Give it a try.
Al

Offline kwc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
ive been using them this year and found that you should take them out about five mints before you use them to make sure they warm up. some of them dont because if any air got into the package they have already gone off

Offline Bent Rig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
I don't understand this toe warmer thing , if you have to put some kind of warmer inside your boots , thats telling me there's something wrong . First of all you are wearing the wrong boot for the climate that you are in . Proper boot selection is of the utmost importance when out on a hunt or otherwise . The need to buy a good quality boot to keep you out there would be the first and most important thing to accomplish . If one has bad  circulation that's one thing  , it's like buying insurance - don't buy cheap boots . My feet have never been cold while hunting or ice fishing all day in extreme conditions and we have the weather to put any boots through the test . I'm not bashing anyone either , I just don't get it - there are great quality boots out there , why put yourself through any of that . Plus your feet have to sweat and your just creating moisture . So what happens when the heat stops - time to go home I would guess . I wear felt pacs rated to -80 for the last 30+ yrs never ever have my feet been cold - good quality boots are the answer - they may be heavy but I love 'em - and I've put countless miles on them also .  To each his own I guess !
Paul

Offline GREASEMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
Great pointer to remove them and let them activate first before putting them in your boots or gloves.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
I have baffin arctic boots rated to minus 140Celcius or something like that. If I'm not moving my feet still get cold....some people are so blessed with warm feet that they don't even know they are blessed!  The rest of us buy good boots, overbooties and toe warmers.  I used the full size foot warmet this season and they worked very well but only for about 3 hours not the 12 (?) hours they are advertized for.

the chef

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
my feet never get cold with boot blankets and hand warmers inside

Offline sinistral

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
Boot heaters are okay but they need air to activate. Once in the boot two things happen, not enough air to stay active, and also too much in the boot cuts off circulation in your foot. Your foot needs blood flow to keep warm. I like the idea of lighter weight for the hike in, so your feet don't sweat, then the little sleeping bags for your feet. You could then add toe Warmers between boots and over boots. Just a thought.

You could try heated foot beds. They are battery powered and used in ski boots. Kind of expensive, but what isn't anymore. My wife uses them in her ski boots, and they work great for her. The battery is rechargeable also.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
Bent Rig, I wish I could do that. You are lucky. I have owned the best boots in the world. If poor circulation affects you even slightly, insulation does the same at holding in cold as holding in heat. Without warmers I'm done when it drops past 20 degrees. I hate it.
 No problems on the ice because I'm always moving, but in a treestand for 3-5 hours I'm done for.
It really sucks.
David M. Conroy

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 12:19:00 PM »
I use Grabbers under toes.  I put them on my light liner socks as the first thing I put on as I start to get ready.  Then wool socks.  I have them on at least 15-20 minutes before boots.  I wear Lacrosse boots.  I have air bobs, 1000 gr zip with felt lining, and 1200's.   Think the felt works a little better with the warmers.  Maybe more air therefore more oxygen in the boot to keep the warmer working.  Maybe other boot types work better because they let more air in than rubber, but I like rubber for scent control and waterproofing.  My feet never seem to sweat in them. I don't do a lot of walking when using warmers, but don't notice a problem with a couple miles in a day of getting to and from stands with the warmer under the toes.  I think hand warmers work better than toe warmers.  I have always had a hard time with keeping hands and felt warm even when young and fit so I always have a good supply of both types of warmer.
 Years ago I had electric socks.  I think they worked best. I had to turn them off at times because they got too hot.  I think I will look into another pair.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
I live in a cold climate and I'm very tough to the cold, which comes from a combination of genetics, body size and being accustomed to it. I never ever have to use warmers in any of my outdoor activities as long as I am even a little active and winter temperatures here plunge down to -40 F and colder (not counting wind chill).

HOWEVER... even if you are wearing excellent cold weather footwear... if you are completely immobile for several hours in extremely cold temperatures, with your feet on the bare ground or on a metal platform.. eventually you will feel the cold in your feet.

This past November I was hunting in western Canada and we were hit by an "early" extreme cold front. I hunted from an open portable tree stand in temperatures as cold as -34 F for up to 10 1/2 hours at a time. I wore two pairs of good wool socks, a pair of Sorel Glacier boots, a pair of Arctic Shield boot covers, and a pair of homemade silent covers over that. On the worse days I had to slip in a pair of toe warmers under my toes (placing them over didn't work as well).

Even though the toe warmers don't last all day, they got me through from darkness and those coldest hours of early morning.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline greg fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
Yeah I guess I could haul in my heavy pac boots.  Ever try climbing steep mountains in them..??    When the heat stops, put another pair in, go for a quick walk to get the circulation going, or I guess some people will go home.   If preventing cold feet was as easy as some make it sound, no one would get cold, but its a fact, it happens and how do we go about helping the situation.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
My experiance, they are not good for walking "hurt my feet". The best thing is the pull over booties with the toe warmers. I'm cold natured and have tryed alot of boots and things. The pull overs are the only way to go, IMO! As long as I'm moving I don't have trouble keeping my feet warm, but setting still is a hole other story. Jason

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »
I use the full footbed liner by "Grabber" in my ski boots on cold below zero days and they are far better(warmer) and don't have the clump of the toe warmers to rub blisters. Check out a good ski shop.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©