3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Making It Back  (Read 271 times)

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Making It Back
« on: January 10, 2011, 06:05:00 PM »
I was rocking along through this past summer happy as could be and had just ordered a new Tall Tines from Brian, Maccasser riser with myrtle limbs and couldn't wait for it to get here. Then in mid Setpember I had a weird thing happen, I was judging a retriever trial in NW MS when I had a weird feeling in my left shoulder and bicep. Kind of tingly numb but hurting some too, scare the hell out of me. Monday driving home for MS my whole left arm and finger were numb. Next day I went to the gym and n strength in the left shoulder or bicep. Back at home I picked up a Shrew Classic Hunter in what was for me a real light weight at 51# and couldn't pull it back, now we are panicing. At the doctor and referrred up the line to a neurosurgeon I have degeneration of C-4,5 and 6 with movement on C-5 killing my left shoulder and bicep.
 Surgery was ruled out right away and I was told that maybe it would heal to 95%. WellI'm thinkin' I was drawing 83# so 95% I could live with. The catch was that they told me that no amount of rehab or working out at the gym was going to help because there was nothing wrnog with my arm, if was all in the nerve roots in the neck and that would take time to heal. I bought a lower weight set of limbs for the Tall Tines from Mr. R.W.Mackey in Texas while a rack of Black Widows and Shrews sit with me unable to draw them. Today I picked up the Tall Tines and whipped that sucker back at 48# and glad of it. I put it down and drew the 51# Shrew with no trouble, the 60# BW no dice yet, but we being on the way back is a big boost. With 21 days of archery season left, tomorrow I will be with the Tall Tines in a snow ghillee waiting, for the first time in a long time. I'm glad to get this far because I wasn't sure that this would happen at all...ever.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Making It Back
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
David:  Glad I could help, thats a real serious problem, take it easy.  I went through a simular thing with my shoulder, just takes time.  Remember baby steps, besides that 48# TT will take care of any deer you shoot at.  Best of luck,  RW.
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline Ranger58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
Dave,
Did you get a second opinion on the No Surgery call?  I had/have degeneration of C5-6 and had a disc-ectomny done nearly 15yrs ago.  I had to forego archery for one fall-winter; but, it's better than it ever was.  I have some residual numbness in the thumb, first and middle fingers; but i can live with that.  Just an opinion; but, I'd have someone take another look at that!  Did they put you through an MRI?  It's really the only way to tell if there's a problem that needs to be surgically repaired.  Good luck Dave!
Stickbows, Sidelocks and Flyrods, anything to make it more of a challenge!

Bear Kodiak 50@28 “the girl”
Palmer Classic w/ 50@28 and 56@27 limbs
58 Kodiak 45@28
Kodiak 59'er 50@28
1958 Pearson Hunter dual shelf 45@28
and my original longbow I used as a kid.

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
I had a fusion several years ago. GIVE IT TIME TO HEAL. I didn't and it took years to get back to where it didn't bother me to shoot. I am down to the low to mid 40's in draw weight but shooting better than ever.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
That sucks Dave!! 2nd opinions never hurt either. But, don't cut & paste it for no good reason. Heavy bows rock! Best luck.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
Yea I had the MRI and enough x-rays to cook a TV dinner. C5 slid back a little, not much but I have stenosis above and below C5 which impinged on the nerve roots causing my problems. My nerve Doc is pretty high speed and he's been through this and had the surgery so he's speaking from personal as wel as professional experience. He pretty much promised that if  did what he said it would come back to at least 95% but that it would take up to four months to start to see improvement.
 After it happened in Sept. I went from really looking forward to the Tall Tines arrival to dreading the call because all I could do was look at it. I packed away all my other bows so I wouldn't have to see them and set about doing what i was told. The only bow I kept out was a 1969 Bear Polar @28# because I could shoot that.
 I knew things were getting better and thanks to Mr. Mackey I wound up with the identical set of limbs that I was going to order, right down to the Kudu tips just like my myrtle limbs. When they came in I had just returned from the gym and a major shoulder workout and I was about two inches short of making full draw. Several days later (yesterday) I pulled it off the wall and drew it back with no difficulty, then picked up a 51# Shrew and did the same thing. The big Darth Vader looking gray curly maple BW not so much, still have a ways to go yet on that. But the plus is that this morning I was sitting out in the snow watching a doe feed by, no shot opportunity..but I was there.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
I've had the stenosis surgery and I knew the second that my feet touched the floor that my surgery had been a success.

I'd do it all over again in a heart beat.

Good luck to you, my prayers are with you.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline youngarcher1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
Glad you're still able to shoot,Hopefully you can pull out a full recovery!

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
Good luck.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »
David: Good luck, work at it Slowly. I am still building up my shoulder after surgery (Rotator Cuff, 2 Bone spurs and Torn Bicep repair) on my left shoulder. Still have some minor pain, but I can now shoot a 54# longbow,  40 to 50 arrows a session. I previously shot a 75# Bow. Best recovery Don I think I'll stay at 54#
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 12:26:00 AM »
Dave, I will be praying for you
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 03:47:00 AM »
Dave,
Glad to hear that you are headed in the right direction...must be a scary thing.  

Take good care of yourself and I sincerely hope to hear that you are back happily pullin' your bows.

Wow...83#   You are a real man sho nuf!

Best Wishes!!

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
Anthony those 83# days are gone forever, after this I am thrilled to be pulling 48# & 51#, if it gets better then great but I can make it with what I have now. I may have to check and see what can be whittled off of a 60# BW PAX though, but I'll hold out or a while on that.

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
I can't help but wonder why C5 decided to move on you.  Did you fall or get hit?  What do you think was the cause of degradation?  What are the chances of it happening again?

I can see why you would like to hang on to the PAX but maybe it won't be good for you even if they can shave off a couple pounds.  48 - 51 pounds will serve you well - sufficient for any type of hunting, comfortable for goofin' around and, of course, good for your health..

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 07:20:00 AM »
Like everyone else said take it easy and even though you don't like it do as the therapists tell you. You will get back faster that way.

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
Anthony apparently it is a fireman thing, I was a fireman for 29 years up until last year and I have a lot of firemen buddies that have the same problem. The neuro man said it wasn't uncommon for us because of all the heavy gear worn on the head and face, plus crawling around with your neck stuck out so you can see and not to forget all she sheet rock, rafters and the junk in peoples attics that fall on your head over the years.
 It is not just firemn though because I have several friends at the gym that I use and they have had similar problems and have been suits for their entire careers, so I don't know. I found out that it is a lot more common than I realized.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©