3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I need help choosing a three piece longbow!!  (Read 762 times)

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
I need help choosing a three piece longbow!!
« on: June 05, 2007, 06:23:00 AM »
My stable is almost complete now that I have my Toelke Whip, but I really love the look of the three piece longbow.  I advertised here on the classifieds, but because I only shoot 40# there are not many second hand ones available.  

I have a gorgeous looking well made three piece (Horne's), at home - but becuase it has a small dish for the grip - I can't hit the side of a barn.  I need a three piece with a recurve like grip.

I have been going nuts spending hours on the net trying to find the correct one.  I like the look of the Cari- Silver Fox, but they are very expensive.  By the time I got that one into Australia I would have to sell the kids off for mecical experiments to pay for it!#$%^&*!!

So hit me with it guys - which one fits the bill.  I don't want diamondwood or anything like plywood in the riser (I want real wood), it must be narrow limbs deep cored like my Horne's (I like the Bob Lee but they are very wide.)

I also like the Fox bows but I don't think he has them in a three piece (even though I know his website is way out of date).

This is not a flippant request - I really need help to get this baby nailed - I will probably have to wait ages so i may as well get on the list!

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I need help choosing a three piece longbow!!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 06:29:00 AM »
The only one that might fit the bill besides the Cari-Bow,great bow by the way, would be a Crow Creek Black Feather if you can find one. He does not have a web site. PM WildmanSC and he may be able to give you a phone number. Only one I can think of that is less expensive than the Cari-Bow with the type riser you are looking for. They are great bows also and about half the price of a Cari-Bow.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 06:31:00 AM »
Hey Danny thanks for that - can you send me any pictures of one??  I am not very good navigating around here but I will try and find WildmanSC.

sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 06:40:00 AM »
Do a search for Crow Creek and you will find some threads with pics. click on the search button at the top of the page and type in Crow Creek and make sure you have your criteria as Powwow or it will take forever.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Coop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 07:45:00 AM »
Good choice on style. I started building T/D longbows last year and they have quickly become my favorite bow. Good luck.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

-Mike

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 08:00:00 AM »
I second the Crow Creek, excellent bow and great fellow to deal with. E-mail me I can send you a pic of one he just made me. Steve.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 08:03:00 AM »
I sold this one in a weak moment, but here is a picture of a Crow Creek.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline tukudu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 08:26:00 AM »
Take a look at Leon Stewart's three piece slammer. They are a phenomenal shooting bow. I can't say enough of the quality, shootability and bowyer. tom massaro.  Look at tim golder bow that is for sale and it will give you a good perspective on the bow.
"Brothers of the flaming arrow"

Online wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 08:39:00 AM »
You won't be dissappointed with a Crow Creek and it would be hard to find a nicer guy to deal with than Elmer.  I have a 3pc Black Feather he made me last year that is bocote and ebony and we're getting ready to order one for my wife as soon as she can decide on which woods she wants.  You can e-mail me at [email protected] and I can send you pics and a phone number for Elmer.

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 08:55:00 AM »
I shot JC's Morrison 3 piece this past weekend and it was probably one of the smoothest and quickest 3 piece longbows that I have ever shot. Not to mention the craftmanship was unbelieveable down right beautiful. Made me think about ordering one.

Offline Ed Frye

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 11:10:00 AM »
I have a Stewart and it shoots really nice no hand shock. Check him out.
Thanks and keep promoting the great sport of bow hunting to our youth and friends.
Ed P. Frye II
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »
Below is a link to some a thread that has some pics of Crow Creek 3-piece longbows.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=041638#000009

I have information for 2 stocking dealers of Mr. Patton's bows.

Archer's Advantage
Little Rock, AR
501-663-2245
Ask for Jerrel or Dewey

Gray Ghost Archery
Springfield, MO
417-864-3519
Larry Maggard

I think the thread above also has Mr. Patton's phone number posted in it.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 11:50:00 AM »
You could just have Mark Horne make you a new riser that has the higher wrist.  Mine does  :)

Speaking of which, I'm waiting on a new 2pc brushbow... may be looking to get rid of the 3pc.  I wonder if your limbs would work on my riser??
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Bow50

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 03:10:00 PM »
www.Sapphirearchery.com  , I highly recommend the bows from this bowyer ( Ernie ). I have to say it is one one the best kept secrets in bows. They are beautiful and shoot great.

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 05:41:00 PM »
Hey Thanks guys - I really appreciate you all taking the time to be so helpful.  I jumped on the phone this morning and range Elmer.  He was great to chat to and he is sending me some pic's of his bows.  If the handle looks as if it will fit me properly - we could be in action.

The two who kindly sent me a P/M, I will reply shortly - have to go to work now!

Cheers - Sutto

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 06:54:00 PM »
Bob Morrison crafts the best three piece I've ever owned. I don't see how anyone could do any better. I'd be much surprised if he didn't have what you're looking for.
N/A

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 08:01:00 PM »
I second Sapphirearchery Ernie is a well kept secret and he does make pretty bows at a reasonable price

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
Morrisons Shawnee Dakota is a very fine shooter in a 3 piece and craftsmenship of the riser is toprate.Real clean lines and no bulk and nice contours.Limbs are pretty narrow and they hit hard.Very versatile as well, as they can be fitted with Cougar limbs or Arapahoe recurve limbs.3 different riser lengths and many diffent limb lenghts.Its gotta be 1 of the most versatile bows around.

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »
I recomend either of theese three.

Crow Creek Blackfeather

Cari-Bow Silver Fox

Morrison Shawnee with Dakota limbs

I have one of each and all are great bows. I shoot all of them equally well.

Donald
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2007, 12:25:00 AM »
Brackenbury Non-typical

Habu VyperKahn Longbow

Lewis Hollow TD Longbow

Thunderhorn 3-piece takedown longbow
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©