3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer Taken Away By Mountain Lion In Southern Missouri  (Read 1671 times)

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Deer Taken Away By Mountain Lion In Southern Missouri
« on: January 11, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
My dad called me right after dark on New Year's Eve to say he thought he ended the year right by shooting a doe with his recurve just a few minutes before. He thought he had a good hit, had found good blood, but decided to recover the deer the next morning. He was hunting a couple hundred yards from his house on our farm in south-central Missouri.

The next morning he called me bright and early and started the conversation with, "Well, son, I've got one for the story books". He started tracking his deer at first light and found a good blood trail right away. After about 20 yards up the south ridge by the house, he found his arrow and the blood really started pouring then. At 60 yards, he found where the doe had lain down but the blood trail then turned back downhill towards our road. He had his beagle, Sweety, with him to help with the recovery effort.

While he diligently followed the blood, Sweety went on ahead and suddenly Dad heard her start barking treed down towards a ditch that runs between the road and the barn. Dad's first thought was that the deer was still alive so he snuck down towards where Sweety was at to have a look see.

When he got to the ditch, he peered into it but saw nothing. Sweety was still barking and wouldn't go into the ditch and Dad was beginning to think the dog had lost her mind. That's when he saw the first sign of his deer; just a white patch of ear hair sticking out of the grass and leaves.

Here's a closeup

Not knowing at the time what the "white stuff" was, he climbed down into the ditch and made this discovery; what was left of his doe drug under a log and completely covered in grass and leaves.

That was when he decided to go back to the house and call me. After our conversation, he went back to the deer and took the pictures.

Here you can see where one whole shoulder is gone

Here you can see where one ham is gone too. The ham on the other side was partially eaten.

Now we both had suspicions about what kind of animal would do such a thing but they were confirmed after some research. According to what we had learned, only two predators in north america will bury their kill to save it for later. One is a grizzly bear and the other is a mountain lion. And since the former is pretty scarce this far east, we had to conclude it was the latter.

Now I know you fellers out west see this kind of thing on a regular basis. However, here in the Ozarks, losing a deer to something a little higher on the food chain will give a man a reason to pause before he steps outside.

Oh, yeah...this carcass was buried less than 100 yards from Dad's front porch.

Darren Haverstick

Offline fredhill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer Taken Away By Mountain Lion In Southern Missouri
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 10:03:00 AM »
are you going to show MDC?

Offline smilinicon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
good spot for a trail cam(?)

very interesting post.

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
Too late now. Dad hauled the carcass to the back of our upper field to chum the coyotes. Besides, my father does not have the highest opinion of MDC so I doubt they will be getting an invitation to his house anytime soon.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
Do you have a season on ML's if so that would make for a great trad hunt.Other than that I would put a set of those craft fake eyes for dolls on the back of my hat( i read that an ML will not attack from the front but will go behind. Some of the guides would affix these fake eyes on the back of hats and packs.Or get a head lamp and wear it facing the rear.That would freak me out having an ML that close to home.As long as it has food it won't leave the area.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
All I have to say is "here kitty, kitty, kitty"
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »
Big News story last week where a Farmer in Hardin, Mo. shot and killed a Mt. Lion. They said He had lost two calves  prior to it being shot.

This was on the local news in Kansas City.

bretto

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
Do you have some cliffs near you?  A few years ago a friend had one he had left overnight to look for get drug off by one.  When he went lookin' for it he thought something was following him.  He ended up giving up on it and left.  It was right by the river where there was a bunch of cliffs.  They contacted MDC and were told there wasn't any mountain lions in Mo.  That was in Lonedell, Mo.

Less than ten miles from there some other friends had seen one right before dark.  They also lived bordering the same river.  MDC also told them there weren't any mountain lions in Mo.

My wife has seen one run and jump across the road right in front of the car she was behind, about 1 mile from where we live.

Carrying a firearm while bowhuntin' is illegal in Mo.  Lot of people do carry though, for just such a reason.  Ya gotta protect youself, nobody else will

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 11:10:00 AM »
Really cool story, should look for tracks and the such. Make dark walks home at night a little more interesting for the mind.

You know they are there not just another ghost story anymore!

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Deerhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
We've had sightings here in southern IL. In fact my oldest son swears he saw one when we were bow hunting about 3 years ago.
Cancer must have a crooked shootin bow cus it ain't kilt me yet.

Offline JDeanP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
A family friend in MO swore that when he was a kid this took place: He heard the dogs barking in the back yard. They had two dogs chained to to different posts and there was a small gap between the two to keep them apart. When he looked out to see what the was driving them nuts he saw a BLACK cougar/panther calmly walking between the two dogs in that "safety zone" like he was taunting them.

Swore it was true and I have never had reason to doubt him. This was decades ago, I think it is well within the realm of possibility.
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..."

Offline JDeanP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by Deerhntr:
We've had sightings here in southern IL. In fact my oldest son swears he saw one when we were bow hunting about 3 years ago.
I used to live in West Frankfort. When we moved there almost 15 years ago my father saw one dead on the interstate.

Within the last couple years we had friends send us trail cam picks of a very nice buck being dragged/carried past the camera. This was in the Benton area.
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..."

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
You are forgeting one animal that covers its kills/finds.The bobcat and don't want to burst your bubble but I think that is what you have there.I have seen and photographed a few bobcat kills and quite a few lion kills.

The first thing a lion will do is drag the deer into the thick stuff.I don't think this cat was big enough to move the deer.

The next thing lions do is open up the chest and eat the eart,lungs and liver.This animal didn't do that.It wasn't big enough.

Also note that only the top side was fed on,meaning a smaller animal that couldn't move the deer around.

It just doesn't look like a lion kill to me though that is a lot of meat missing overnight.this time of year when cats start to breed,you can't discount the possibility of 2 bobcats traveling together.There is also the possibility that coyotes hit it and a cat coveed it later.

No way to tell for sure but a trail camera would have sorted that out in one night.neat story.

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
I've seen Black Bears do the same thing with a bait pile. Any bears in the area?

Offline Tradesmen4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
Darren I can't believe you went in and butched the hams of that deer and than blamed it on a mountain lion! Still like hunting off the ground,could get interesting. Greg
greg ketchum

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
I wouldn't doubt the existence of lions in Missouri.   I live in Tulsa and a few years ago I was out on Fin and Feather Road, just north of McAlester.  I rounded a corner and saw a large mountain lion standing in the middle of the road.  When he saw my car he just sauntered off without so much as a look back.

I stopped at a house a couple of hundred yards from where I saw that cat and asked the guy if there were mountain lions in the area.  He just laughed and said "sure, I've seen a large one several times on my place and my wife sees that cat all of the time."  

I have several friends who have seen them out near Siloam Springs, AR and I think the ODWC finally wised up, after receiving literally hundreds of reports of sightings from people who know perfectly well what they've seen, and admitted that yes, there are mountain lions in Oklahoma.

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
The MDC has finally admited on our local news that we have some 300 black bears in sothern MO. They said that the bears have come across the border from AR.
I guess in a few years maybe they will come out and say we have a few lions Who knows? I'm not the biggest fan of the MDC's management decisions.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
JimB nailed it!! Bobcat    :thumbsup:   Nice job Jim everbody always thinks mountain lion in the midwest. Yes, Missouri has mountain lions but look for prints or something to prove it.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
there are some(but rare) mountain lions sightings here in Quebec,did'nt know about this south like Misouri!Interesting!
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline TRB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
Iowa DNR used to say " There are no Mt. Lions in Iowa". Then last year a fella near Cedar Rapids killed one.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©