3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need hip/shoulder quiver input. Please respond even if you DONT use them!  (Read 862 times)

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need hip/shoulder quiver input. Please respond even if you DONT use them!
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
That's nice looking work Dave. You do have a talent that most would really appreciate.
However, I've never been a hip or back quiver kinda guy and I have looked at all the bow mounted quivers out there.
Quite frankly I just couldn't find anything that I could afford.
So I installed bushings on the riser of my Bear Grizzly for a side mount quiver. The bushings cost about $4 bucks for 8 bushings from Rockler and my Tru Glo 5 arrow bow mount quiver cost only $30 bucks, which I already had on my wheelie bow.

It can also pull double duty on at least two different bows because it comes with an extra mount that can be installed on any bow with riser bushings just for that purpose.

I would like to see something that mounts on the bow itself that the common man can afford.
I can't really see a reason for things like this to cost an arm and a leg just because they have that traditional look.
While I would like to keep my equipment looking old school traditional, price and functionality means more than looks to me.
And while my set up doesn't have that traditional look about it, it works amazingly well for me and I didn't have to sell something else to get it.

That's just my input on the subject and that's the main reason why I shy away from custom bow quiver makers. For guys who can't afford to pay high prices for custom equipment like myself, we usually end up making our own.

Here's a pic.

~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »
i have tried side stalkers- and found them a pain in the butt inna brush.
tried back quivers- too awkward- hank up in our dense brush
i now exclusivly use a cat quiver with a solo stalker on the bow- works awesome for me- the cat quiver just doesnt look very trad when i am out with my stick bows though!!!
am going to start using a hip quiver for 3D.
your stuff really is very neat.
regards
wayne

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
I often use a catquiver myself for longer hunts.
SEMO, the cost is why I started making things myself. I hear ya, what I'm trying to do is after the prototypes are complete, I will make them out of different grades of leather to get cost down. I'll offer premium latigo to cheaper oil tan and experiment with all in between., of different weights also. Thinner leather is cheaper, and can still make a rugged quiver. I almost fell over when I saw how much the Selway style go for. But for a company today, you have to make a lotta dough just to break even with all the costs involved. They don't make it easy on you to run a business in this country, thats for sure.
David M. Conroy

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
Oh yeah, I hear ya. Cost of materials these days is outrageous!
I'm not blaming the manufacturers, I know a guy has to make a buck or two to make it worth the while, but sometimes it seems like your paying more for a name than you are the product.
Capitalism is the beating heart of America and free enterprise is what makes this country great, but doesn't it seem like the more popular a product gets the higher the price goes?
Even when the cost of materials hasn't changed the price they charge climbs steadily just because they know people will pay it.
That's basically the point I was trying to make.
I don't mind paying for quality, but I'm in between jobs and on a tight budget so that's why I try to find ways around getting what I need to pursue my passions without taking out a loan even if it means using less than perfect or less than attractive goods. Or in most cases making my own and dreaming about having the good stuff.
My motto is....As long as it works, I'm happy.

I hope you have great success and business really takes off for ya. I envy your attitude and wish you all the luck.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
I used a selway hip quiver on an Black bear hunt in Alaska, a couple of years ago. It was ok. But it was raining the whole time we were hunting and my broadheads got all wet and started to rust after a couple of days. I did't think about drying them until I saw the rust. Also when we crossed some creeks my quiver would get a good dunk if I did't think about lifting it out of the water. I think for those who like to use hip quivers it would be a good idea to be able to convert or change form a hip to a back quiver on the fly. I personally think that a bow quiver is the most practical quiver to use. Its always with your bow. Just my .02 worth.

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Maxx Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2011, 03:22:00 PM »
Dave ,
I like the look of the side,back quiver, and the option it will provide. Can you post a photo of it on your side and back with arrows in it? Then I can decide. And Dave Best of Luck in the Future. Ken
Kwyk Styk 58" 55x28
Cari-bow 62"54@28
Thunder child 56" 53@27
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS ILF 60"@55#@27"

Offline SteveT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2011, 03:39:00 PM »
Dave, nice work indeed, i like to use the Lakota side quiver when 3-d shooting ,it seems that they are always at hand , and when i bend over to pull arrows i dont have arrows slidding out over my head, when hunting with broadheads
i like them all on my bow , so if i were to fall, which i have , i dont get any suprise's...just my half cent worth! SteveT

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
I only use back quivers, and those fur quivers look like a nice addition to my rigs. Red Fox would be awesome.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »
i would love to see a back quiver with grippers in the top to stabalize my arrows an keep noise to a mininum.  I would like to see these grippers on a hair-on quiver.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©