3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what a turnover!!!!  (Read 522 times)

Offline HcSmitty

• Trad Bowhunter
what a turnover!!!!
« on: January 11, 2011, 11:32:00 AM »
Is it just me or is Trad REALLY growing.  Seems to me its a repeat sotry.  "hi newbie here,  just gitn started in trad archery".  Now to me this is a good thing.  When i was younger i used to be evious of guys at 3d shoots who were flingin arrows with trad gear.  I always envisioned myself as a big boy, recurve in hand.  Once i was stout enough to draw a trad bow i started the journey.  Their on tv more, and in magazine articles.  I remember it was an oddity 15 yrs ago to see a curve or lonbow(atleast it seems) in bowhuntin mags.  N all those mags have atleast 1 article and usually more where the author is shootin trad.  Is this just in my mind or what???  this is awesome.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: what a turnover!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
Yes i think people want to challenge thierself.And traditional archery has many rewards.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
There are also folks like myself who are returning to it.  In the late 90's I started a new career, got divorced, and relocated.  My bows and equipment got packed up for 12 years and no hunting.  Things have changed once again, my bows called out to me....and here we are.  The best thing about picking my bows up once again was discovering this site.  What a great bunch of knowledgeable folks who are willing to share their wealth of experience.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
I think folks notice how much fun we have when we shoot.

We agrue here, but when we're shooting we're happy.    :biglaugh:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online Cocklebur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 01:54:00 PM »
Around here there are more people getting into trad archery. If not for hunting for 3D shooting.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
I am not surprised to see traditional archery growing.

It's almost medical for me, it soothes my very being to hold the bow, pull the string, release the string and to watch the flight of my feathered missile is like applying a salve to my psyche.

I know it may not work the same way for everyone but I think it does something for the soul of anyone who has the chance to experience it for themselves.(IMHO)

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »
Everybody wants in on a good thing.  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 02:18:00 PM »
I agree Mudd, it can turn a bad day into a not so bad day afterall.

I also find that strapping a piece of Osage up on the bow bench, break out the draw knife, and is very theraputic for me. I can get a nice work out, good exercise, get the blood pumping, and whittle my troubles away one shaving at a time.  :thumbsup:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
Amen SEMO_HUNTER as  I am finding out now. I have be shooting since I got back of R&R and it is the highlight of my day.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
Chris I totally understand what you're saying about the shaving horse. Another good thing about using it to work stuff out is, it's there any time you need it and the time of day or night makes no difference.

There's something about that "yaller dust".. it's intoxicating to make.

I had to make a choice... and I did. Now I save my shoulder just for drawing my bows.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
I just introduced a family, including grand kids into our sport. I built a few bows for them and some arrows! I love it!

Offline Ricker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
Us fellers up north call 'em "Pasties"....everywherese else "turnovers".

Ingredients

1. 5 cups all-purpose flour
   2. 1 tablespoon kosher salt
   3. 4 sticks (1 pound) unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
   4. 3/4 cup ice water
   5. 1 large egg
   6. 1 tablespoon cider vinegar

Directions

1. In a food processor, pulse the flour with the salt. Add the butter and pulse until it is the size of large peas. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and make a well in the center.
   2. In a small bowl, lightly beat the ice water with the egg and vinegar. Add the liquid to the well and stir it into the butter-flour mixture. Using your hands, gather the dough and knead it in the bowl several times, until it is evenly moistened. Divide the pastry in half and flatten it into 2 disks. Wrap them with plastic and chill until firm.

Make Ahead
The turnover pastry can be tightly wrapped in plastic and refrigerated overnight or frozen for up to 1 month.
Serve With
Roasted Winter Squash and Onion Turnovers

OHHHHHH..... you said, what a turn over, as in two words.   :knothead:  
Sorry.
Welcome and enjoy the recipe.

Offline TinMan92

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
Until last Saturday I hadn't shot a bow in about 20 years. Not sure exactly what triggered the urge to dust off the Cougar, but I think it was just a little rebellion against the pace of life and all that comes with it.

Sure it might be easier to turn off the cell phone, the T.V. and the computer, but would it be as much fun as getting outside, actually away from all that? Taking the time to slow down and breathe? And partake in a sport that was, perhaps, a necessity of life for my ancestors?

I hate to describe it as a zen thing, but I can feel myself calming down just writing about it. Breathe, pull, release. So simple, right? Glad to be back.

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
ive worked in bow shops my whole life,it seems theirs a 10 year resurgance in trad ..it also helps when you have eichler giving the sport major media.....
i like biscuits

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
its growing that for sure. i guess some people can afford to pay $2000 for a new compound not to mention all the stuff ya need for it. i think compounds are still have fun to be had (being honest im getting a new one) but for me and others traditional archery is a ton of fun. even just target shooting. with a wheel bow you KNOW your gonna hit where you aim, with trad gear you have to FEEL where your gonna hit to hit it. to me it just seems like a much better exspierence. plus i get a freakin awsome feeling when i hunt on the ground behind a tree with my recurve with a deer not 4 feet away from me. ive shot deer with a compound but im still tryin with the curve but so far even though ive had them see me on draw or wind me or just not give me a shot its been more rewarding hunting. to me anyways
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
I would like to see a decal or t-shirt with "Enjoy Archery.....Shoot Traditional". Or maybe replace "Shoot Traditional" with "Shoot a Stick-Bow".

That seems to sum it up best for me. I used to like shooting my compound contraption but I NEVER enjoyed it, or at least not near like I enjoy my trad bow. Never even crossed my mind to stump shoot with the wheelie or shoot aerials with it. Heck, I don't think I would ever have even bowfished before I went to trad.

I tell ya, wheelie shooters don't know what they're missing!
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
The Internet has help tons in revitalizing basic archery. Locally there are few of us, on the web there are many more..sights like TG gives us a place to visit about the good the bad and the ugly of our chosen affliction..
Other wise we are down to looking in magazines. and if you  are lucky a few locals who have lost their training wheels to rub shoulders with.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by PEARL DRUMS:
I just introduced a family, including grand kids into our sport. I built a few bows for them and some arrows! I love it!
Way to go Chris!  I've taught my daughter and 3 neighborhood kids to shoot in the last month....now they can't get enough.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Green Mountain Boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
I shot  compound from age 12 to adult and have just recently found how much more fun traditional archery is.  It isn't that I didnt enjoy shooting before but the challange wasn't the same level. I'm sure this sentiment is echoed time and time again.  It may actually be addictive! My 4 yearold daughter may have said it best the other day, we were shooting in the basement and she said I don't care where I hit on the target, I just like the sound! There is something gutteral about a recurve that is exchanged for mechanical in a compound. Glad I've found this forum, seems like a great group of folks!
That's why they call it hunting....

No Name 50# at 28" (maybe Ben Pearson)
'69 Bear Grizzly 40# at 28"
Great Plains Wolf Creek  50# at 28" one piece
Fruit of the Loom Size Large

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
When I started out with a wheel bow around 18 years ago,it was all about kills and competition between hunters.After 2 seasons I happened to pick up a used recurve at a small fishing/archery shop near home and it came home with me that day.Haven't looked back since and I've gotten several people shooting traditional bows.It seems like no matter who you are,something about the simple flight of an arrow just grabs hold of something inside and won't let go...plus it IS what the big boys shoot!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©