3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: WHAT YOU LEARNED THIS YEAR  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: WHAT YOU LEARNED THIS YEAR
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
I learned that selfbow hunting is as much or more fun as I get older
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
I learned that you always slow down and ease over the hill even if you can see the truck and you walked this way before.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
Coming for hunting flat farm ground in SW Minnesota I spent 90% of my time hunting a 900 acre state park in Iowa. I learned I DON'T know much about hunting big timber but I did get a couple of does out of the park so I'm slowly learning but have a long way to go. Most fun I've had in a long time even though I did blow a lot of deer from my stand. Sure glad I kept notes .

doug77

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »
I "re-learned" how GREAT it feels to devote my full archery season to hunting with a stickbow, and doing it from the ground to boot.

I can't find the words to express the "feeling" that comes over a person when you head to the woods with a "stick and string"......BUT......I've got a feeling that there are several here that will know what I mean.    :campfire:  

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
Wear my Native side Quiver somewhat like a back quiver,less Arrows on the ground and a lot less burrs on the fringe.
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 09:08:00 AM »
All of above......ALWAYS learing or being reminded!!  :readit:  

I CAN watch deer up close, purposely pass up sure shots on bucks and does, and STILL go home HAPPY!!  :bigsmyl:    :campfire:
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
Here is my list:
1) Second "on the Clear the shooting lanes completely"!
2) Agree on the "when board look behind your blind"!
3) Large mature does are some of the Smartest wiliest animals in the woods!
4) Squirrel is toughest creature in the woods!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
Take more time off work during the last week of Oct and less time off in Nov.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline GR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
I learned
•   Pants won’t  work for a jacket
•   Pants thrown out of a tree will land in a different tree
•   Breezy = tornado strength
•   Light showers  = down pour
•   Scattered flurries = heavy snow

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
1) an 11,000ft+ increase in altitude will absolutely kick your butt.  
2) It's amazing how close you can get to animals in a ghillie.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
1. You CAN kill an elk with a longbow.

2. Eating tag soup from whitetails is much easier to stomach when you have a freezer full of elk.

3. Pick a spot means pick a spot on the animal not make the animal one large spot   :banghead:
Mike Davenport

Offline mt-dew10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
I learned the following from chasing elk in September and whitetails in October & November:

1. Elk are a little easier to get close to than whitetails, but not by much.  

2. regular slow elk can spook elk and deer.  I've had several stalks on deer and elk busted because the moo cows got uncomfortable with my presence.

3.  Terrain, such as natural funnels (etc.) can be used to one's advantage for both elk and deer. Know the land inside and out, you'll find good ambush sites.

4.  You can get away with a decent amount of noise stalking elk so long as they don't see or smell you.  Also, the noise you make must be natural sounding.  

5. I learned wool is king, meaning it keeps you warm and it is quiet especially on those late season hunts.  2010 was the first year I used it, I'll never look back.

6.  Most importantly, I learned 99 times out of 100, something is going to go wrong.  One must learn to persevere through their own mistakes as well as things that were outside of their control (wind shifting, especially).
I enjoy being a traditional archer!!

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
I learned a few things.....

1) You can never have enough private land to hunt. Best get to work in Spring finding more.

2) What others said X 2 about clearing shooting lanes, especially where we hunt. Thick does not do our places justice when trying to describe it. Ever seen what 20 years of logging can do to a county of hardwoods ???

3) Predator Fall Gray does break your outline like no other camo. Had a giant 9 look right thru me as I was skylined in a clearcut. And no, I still did not get a shot !

4) Move 200 yds if needed during season to get back on deer. We had to shift two of our spots mid season a little to adjust to deer pattern. Nothing else had changed but the deer shifted a little for some reason. Used snow to confirm this.

5) Learned how to use latest Google Earth program thanks to fellow tradganger, it is awesome !

6) Good POC is rare as hen's teeth and the best alternative is Douglas Fir Surewoods. Did not know how bad my "Premium " POC's were until my first dozen Surewoods, thanks snag !

7)KME Knife sharpener is one of the most awesome tools on the planet. Gutted 4 deer with Buck 110 folder sharpened on a KME and it will still shave hair like a new razor, thanks robtattoo !

8)Gray Wolf Woolens are worth every penny. Cannot tell you how much I liked hunting this year out of the vest. Excellent bow arm clearance and still plenty warm thanks to half forearm deep pockets and long tail to cover your butt.

9) Flintknapping is VERY addictive and is a hobby of tonnage, thanks leapingbare !

10) At last but not least by no means...... Life is short and precious..... Learned that first off this year by thinking about the kids while Mason and I hunted Miss Hope and Faith. We only had them a short time but lots of thoughts and prayers for the kids while in the tree holding them and thinking about what they represent..... And secondly with the passing of Chris Surtees..... Especially when Mason and I were in the same tree on some hunts. Mason, as was Chris is a only son. I cannot fathom how hard it was and will always be on Larry with the passing of Chris. I would look down the tree at Mason and think and pray for Larry. The good is that Larry and Chris spent tons of time together in the woods and waters. Made me want to do even more with Mason while I can. I will do my best to follow the example left by Larry and Chris each and every day for we are not promised tomorrow.
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
1) I learned you really CAN see deer on the ground in natural blinds.
2) I learned once you get a ground blind "right" you tend not to leave it readily when you're no longer seeing deer.
3) I learned that you still SEE far more deer activity 18' off the ground in a tree stand
4)I learned that puttin up tree stands at 62 absolutely sucks when you drive a desk for a living.
5) also learned that while doing #4, you will likely injure, pull or hurt something that will hamper you the rest of the season if you don't practice before season putting up stands and getting the "ritual" down again.
6)Fawns at 6' on the ground are way more exciting that 10pt in range from a tree stand!
oh...

and

#7) No matter how many shooting lanes you clear completely as other said, that doe-doggin 8pt will take a path you didn't clear for a shot!
But the doe will be broadside @12 steps in your shooting lane totally ignored!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline ncsaknech1ydh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
I learned to use one arrow when practicing.
"Anchor is a place where I can relax in an uncommitted state of mind"

64" BobLee Classic TD LBow 57# @ 32 1/2
64" BobLee BCentenniel TD RCurve  53# @ 32 1/2"
Always looking for BobLee Long Bow or RCurve Limbs, 64" 40# to 50#.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »
I learned my hunting spot sucks.  Time to move on.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »
I learned a couple things:
#1 if your new glasses slip down and slightly obstruct the vission of your right eye your left eye will take over and your arrow will not go where your looking!
#2 After 20 some odd years of shooting Heavey arrows one year of shooting lighter carbons will not change auto pilot when game walks in front you!
#3 That a 1 1/2 two blade will cut ALOT of hair off a deers back as it passes!(OK several deer)
#4 I LOVE THIS STUFF
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
I learned that finding decent land where no one messes with your stuff is almost impossible.

I learned that I will probably only shoot cane arrows from here on out, as long as I can get my hands on cane.

I learned that on a really windy day, go ahead and pass on that 30 yard shot.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
I've learned that the resulting meat from even a medium sized moose leaves very little room remaining for anything else in a rather large upright freezer.....  :knothead:

I also learned that, regardless of what really nice custom bows I own or how well they shoot, nothing puts a smile on my face better than shooting or hunting with one of my classic Bear Kodiaks from '59 to '62. (NOTE to Self:  Do this much more often!)

:archer:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline traditional beagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »
I learned a long time ago that the guy thats says the most knows the least and the guy that says the least knows the most. Know what I mean?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©