3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: WHAT YOU LEARNED THIS YEAR  (Read 1812 times)

Offline snow leopard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: WHAT YOU LEARNED THIS YEAR
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
patience-----. and that i need yet more of it.
"the symbol is not the reality"

compton traditional bowhunters
wisconsin traditional archers

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
I learned to never, never draw someone else's 72# bow multiple times without being up to it.  I learned that from the doctor, and the MRI lady.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2011, 01:53:00 AM »
I learned that the deer I am hunting are learning about me too, and it is time to change it up.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2011, 04:47:00 AM »
I learned that the blank bale is my best friend.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline sj_lutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2011, 06:29:00 AM »
I learned (not for the first time) that it's stunningly easy to be made a fool of by a turkey. I also learned, as have others, to do a better job clearing shooting lanes...

Offline Shad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2011, 07:10:00 AM »
I learned that watching your 12 year old son, take his first deer, a beautiful 1 1/2 year old 6 point, from 60 yards away in his own ladder stand (he was 60 yards from me not the deer), waiting for the perfect 1/4ing away shot while showing patience of a seasoned woodsman, having that buck tak his last steps directly infront of my stand after Brennon's well placed shot, is better than any hunt I have ever been on.

It's a moment I will never forget.
~Shad~
PBS Associate Member

Robert "Boo Boo" Benson
10-12-36 to 02-06-11
My Gramps, my mentor, my best friend

"The measure of a bowhunter is not how many animals he takes each year, but how he does it. " - Jay Massey

Offline Sheepshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by Earl Jeff:
PICK A SPOT.  PICK A SPOT. If you don't you will be looking for a arrow instead of a blood trail.
Amen Brother, Amen!

You would think after all the years I've been doing this I would know that.  "[dntthnk]"

Offline KEG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
When picking a spot, pick a low spot. I missed several shots this year. All were over the deer's back

Offline Jmgcurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
When getting into a new place on the first day, I need to be more careful and hidden. In a tripod to see down a sendero for where deer are crossing, and a little bit above the brush is not good enough when a monster ten-point walks into the sendero at 40 yards.
Life is not about surviving the storm, but learning to dance in the rain!
Blessed is the Nation whose God is the LORD,... Psalm 33:12

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
I learned so for is that I should not have bought a Pronghorn Longbow just to go to a shoot, becase I fell in love with it, and now I want another one or two more. :}
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline salemons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
First time in December so I'm not a very good hunter yet but if I ever see a deer I should be able to do a kill shot out to 15 yards.
Quinn Stallion Classic 53#
Quinn Stingray 35# limbs
66" Mohawk T/D 45#

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
i learned 2 things.... 1) deer aren't shy about going for a swim.  2) it is possible for me to kill deer with my recurve.  great year!
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
I learned two things this year. No matter how well you plan for the season and schedual it don't mean you'll actually get into the woods as often as planned. Two when you pick your stand site three things comes to mind "location location location". Who knew a big buck could hide behind that little tree you didn't think would bother you.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2011, 03:37:00 PM »
There just isn't enough time to do all the projects I want to do! I learned that if I ever retire I'm going to be a busy, really happy, but busy guy!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
Last year (2009) I hit a mid 150's buck and did not recover It. He lived through It, saw him 4 more times that year. The last time I saw him (December 18th, 2009) I had him at 30 yards but didn't take a shot as It was to far away for me and my recurve. While he was standing broadside at 30 yards I looked at where I hit him and I thought to myself, damn that don't look like to bad of a shot!! Yes It was a little far forward and high but to me I still should've had a dead buck.

Fast forward to 2010 I saw this buck again 4 more times. Had him as close as 11 yards but couldn't get a shot off, too thick of brush. During our ML season he got shot by the neighbors. I heard word of It and went over to the guys place to check out the buck and see where I wounded him In 2009. I hit him In the shoulder blade where I've hit one other deer before. Problem Is, this time It didn't penetrate the shoulder blade enough to get Into the lungs. In 2009 I tried a bigger Snuffer (1 1/2 cutting diameter). 14 years prior to that I've always shot the 1 1/4 cutting diameter Snuffer. If I would've still been shooting the smaller Snuffer that buck would of been mine. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the big Snuffer but It more then likely did cost me a great buck on a not so good shot on my part. It was just too much bone for that big of a cutting diameter broadhead and my 60lb recurve. I really love Snuffers so In no way am I knocking these heads down. Really It don't matter the head you use, just hit the Intended spot and you'll have a dead animal. I was off by an Inch or 2 but still should've been a dead deer. Still, It's on me though as I didn't hit the spot I was aiming for. 3/4ths the length of the shoulder blade had calcium build up on It. I damn near blew through It but there was just to much metal to get through on an Iffy shot.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
Don't glass for mulies from the ridge saddle.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline tradsniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
Be patient wait for it to get in a position were you can make a move without being seen
Fred Bear Grizzly 56" AMO 45@28
Fred Bear Montana 64" AMO 55@28

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »
I learned that I was right - November 20 can be a very magical day here at Greenhill, NS. This year snow and activity all over our 250 acres. Nothing got killed, but what a day afield with my son. Many Nov. 20th's in our 18 years here have been outstanding. Kinda spooky...but good!
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
I learned that if you don`t pick up your feet and stumble and trip on vines it can cost up to 7 weeks of prime South Ga. hunting time.

I learned that sitting on the couch watching hunting shows with your foot in a boot/cast aint near as fun as hunting.

I learned that said boot/cast cost MUCH more than a new bow.

I learned that time spent online with TG buddies eases the time spent at home wearing boot/cast.

I learned that if your shooting is not at normal get closer to where you expect the deer. The Lord blessed me with 4 deer this year all under 11 yards.Thank You Lord ,RC.

Offline Lonnie bailey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
I learned that you dont have to harvest an animal to be succesful, but it sure is nice when you do.
2012 Traditional World Champion MLB

Zipper SXT T/D longbow 60" 46# @28"
Zipper Zipstick longbow 60" 42# @28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©