3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: screw on black magnus vs. stinger?  (Read 493 times)

Offline ymountainman

• Trad Bowhunter
screw on black magnus vs. stinger?
« on: January 11, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »
Hey i was looking at the black magnus 4blade it is alot cheaper than the stinger.Does it fly as good as the stinger? Anybody shoot these? Thanks for any help!

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: screw on black magnus vs. stinger?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
I have used the stingers for several years and tried the 125 grain black screw on magnus head this past fall.  I tried them for the very reason you are asking this question.  

Comparisons

Both fly well

Much bigger bleeder blade on the black heads vs stinger, which is good.

I curled the tip on the black magnus on virtually every shot I took with them.  Including both rocks and bone (shoulder).  I have never curled a tip on a stinger, however I have had the ferrule completely break on a shoulder hit though.

I think the 125 grain screw in is the only magnus that does not have a reinforced tip, it may be something to check into.

Scott
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
I've taken alot of critters with both. Never once had a failure with the Stinger. The older screw in versions I've had some issues with. IMHO the weak spot is the alum screw in broadhead adapter. Then the tip will curl even if filed off sometimes. Still great heads and they all did there job and no I never returned them for the warranty replacement cause I figured they all did the job.

The way I figure it is I've used the exact same Stinger broadhead on numerous kills so it's cheaper in the long run. I ♥ my Stingers!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline bubinga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
I hunted this season with the black Magnus and my wife has used the stringers for a couple of years.  I will be switching to the stingers.

I liked the black ones, but like said above the tips are weak.  I shot 2 deer this season with them and one tip broke completely off when I hit shoulder and another curled from just hitting a rib.

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »
I am a Magnus fan. Never used the stinger so I won't comment on them. The black ones have killed thousands of animals for years and years. They are easy to sharpen and hold an edge well. As far as tips bending if you remove the needle point on them you have won half the battle on bends. The other part is don't shoot rocks. Lol. Seriously if you send any damaged heads back to Magnus company ( Not me!) the will replace them for free and quickly! I don't see how the stingers could be cheaper in the long run if you get free replacement heads. Just my expierience.
Keeping the Faith!
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
Postage! lol Seriously the black Magnus are a great head, I just prefer the Stinger hands down.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »
Stingers my .02 worth.  :thumbsup:    :campfire:

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
i like stingers and buzzcuts.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 01:13:00 AM »
I've shot 3 deer with the 125 gr black magnus and had 2 complete pass throughs and one with the broadhead sticking out the far side about 10".  None of the heads were damaged in any way.  Two of them are on my wall and the third is back in the quiver waiting for deer #4.

Never tried the stingers but I don't see how you could go wrong with either head.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 05:03:00 AM »
im with you on that one pac
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 07:36:00 AM »
Stingers for me. Blades are sharpened on the backs. Skimp on anything else other than your broadheads.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 07:49:00 AM »
Stingers    the best I have ever shot!
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline Darren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
I'm a stinger fan also. kentuckyTJ said it. Skimp on anyting else other than your broadhead. Your broadhead does most of the work.

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
ive never used the stinger but i do use the black 125 magnus heads. well the 2 blade anyways. yes the tip will curl almost every shot even into a block target but if you take the time to remove the needle point like people do with woodsmans they are a very good head. and plus if the bend or breack terrably send them back to the company and thell send ya a replacement.
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
I've killed over a half a hundred head of big game with the black magnus awsome head.I've only had the tip curl when hitting something very hard like rock.I've been playing with the stinger lately and have been very impressed.I would not hessitate to shoot either they are both great heads.My 2 cents
Jeff Couture

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
Only have experience with the Stingers,2 & 4 blade,and have been very pleased with them.The diamond tip is a lot less likely to curl,the stainless holds a keen edge well and I like those small bleeders.
I heard somewhere Mike Sohm was selling off the 'black' Magnus line,including the Snuffers anyone else hear that?

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
The Stingers are/were made in China I'm told so I guess he would still import them?
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
stinger for me

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©