3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: shooting (Handicaped)  (Read 624 times)

Offline RH

• Trad Bowhunter
shooting (Handicaped)
« on: June 05, 2007, 11:40:00 AM »
I was wondering if any of you guys have some kind of Handicap that you have to deal with shooting Traditional bows.
 The reason I'm asking is because a little over a year ago I lost my right arm from my elbow down,And I shot Traditional bows,The Doctor's told me I would never shoot a Trad bow again, and told me toget a cross bow........But I didn't give up,I had to switch to left handed bows,and with the help of a artifical arm, iv'e been trying to learn all over again.
  The hole thing has been a hard and painfull struggle.
  Do you think that it's worth it? Thanks (R.H)

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shooting (Handicaped)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 12:00:00 PM »
WoW.  I salute your determination.  I don't have any advice but thought I'd add a note of encouragement.

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
Its every bit worth what you put into it,,You obviously love to shoot a bow and God bless your heart for your determination in striving to do what you love   :bigsmyl:    Thats way cool,,   :thumbsup:      :thumbsup:   ,,

Do you still hunt??   :thumbsup:
TGMM

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 12:23:00 PM »
You're an inspiration, I guess I should quit crying about small things and suck it up.
I wish tou all the best in your struggles, don't give up!
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
For you to even try is inspiration enough to bring someone, some where, hope that they can overcome a huge obsticle. Kudos to you for your determination.
Doc's don't always know what folks are made of.
  :thumbsup:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 12:48:00 PM »
I think it is awesome what you are doing Rodney!  Most folks probably would'nt have the grit and determination to try.  I've got a feeling from your efforts thus far that it will be worth it to you.  You've already determined that it is worth it to try.  Hang in there!  :clapper:

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 12:55:00 PM »
RH, my father lost his leg in vietnam before i was born. I have always enjoyed going to the place where they make his prosthesis. The people are amazing!  All I can say is if they is a will there is a way.  I've seen double leg amputees run, and play basketball. One of the guys there lost his arm and had a mount made to hold his bow on his artifical arm and he learned to shoot opposite hand and has killed many game animals included some very large bucks!

I'd say if you love the sport and have the desire to shoot you'll find a way.  If you do make sure you share your experiences with others.  
A 10 year old boy who lost both his legs in a accident plays soccer (and is very good)has become a inspiration to my dad.  After lot of joking by the boy to my dad, he now has his sights site on running so he will be able to chase his grandson around!  

What ever you do follow your heart, and know if you don't give up you'll always have people here who you inspire and that admire/respect your determination and courage!

If you need help there are plenty of people here who be willing, myself included...besides I've never been to Kentucky so another shooting buddy is always a plus!
  :archer:
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 12:57:00 PM »
I met a man once that shoots a bow that has NO arm on his draw side!!!!  He uses a mouth tab,  AMAZING!!!

I salute you for yor determination.

YES IT IS WORTH IT!!!!
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 02:46:00 PM »
You are a true insperation to all !!!!!

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 03:11:00 PM »
i take my hat off to you  sir. keep it up.  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 04:07:00 PM »
Also, If I remember right Mr LaClair learned to shoot using one arm and both feet when he broke his arm and even took a deer that way.  So anything is possible.

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 04:11:00 PM »
Here in Kentucky we have somewhat of a local celebrity who is handicapped.  He had a motorcycle accident and lost the use of one arm.  He works for the KY Department of Fish and Wildlife and has a local show here called "Tim Farmer Outdoors" or something like that.

He shoots a bow one handed using a tab that he holds with his teeth.  Pretty good shot with it too.  There was recently an article in the Lexington Herald Leader about him.  

Here are a few links:  KET -- Tim Farmer  

In Motion Magazine  

Book  

Tim Farmer Outdoors  

There is more.  Google him and you can get lots of info.

Offline Lonny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 04:21:00 PM »
RH...First...DO  NOT  GIVE  UP ! ! !

I am 64 years old now and still hooting a bow.  I started when I was only about 6 or 7 years old.

I had always shot right handed and right eye dominate but when I was 32 I damaged my left(bow) arm big time, no elbow joint left, but I still had my arm.

I didn't want to quit archery so I bought a 25# all fiberglass bow that could be shot from either side and went to work.

I'll try to keep this short....I taped a piece of coathanger wire on it for a sight for the sole purpose of training my left eye to focus and take over the dominate duties.

At first it felt so strange, it was baby steps just to put an arrow on the string!  But what was really surprising was that in two weeks I was hitting a paper plate at 20 yards!  LEFT HANDED!

I still have to keep the bow weights under 40# but I draw 29 inches and with these bows they make these days 40# and carbon arrows is no handicap.  I had to go to three under because I couldn't rotate my hand to vertical on the string and split finger almost ripped the nock off the string.  I did that back when I didn't even know anyone shot three under.  I can tell you this, I would shoot three under now even if I had a choice.

So now 32 years later, only very close friends know that I have made the "adjustments", and archery is still one of me passions in life.

So I say , you have the right idea, switch to lefty and just have a blast!

Was it worth it? YES, without question.

God bless you.

Lonny
Make more bows....Shoot more arrows!

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 05:51:00 PM »
The young man shooting lost his left arm a little more then two years ago and is shooting very well and hunting.
His artifical arm has a lock in the hand. He locates the bow like he needs it and sets the lock. works good for him. it took him about 6 months to work it out. STAY WITH IT

I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 06:03:00 PM »
I've shot with my feet,,well I tried to shoot with my feet  :smileystooges:   It would work with some shooting and could be very accurate,,Yes Laclair learned to shoot like that cause he broke his arm,,It will take a low wrist bow to shoot like that though,,JB
TGMM

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
Rod
  :wavey:  I haven't known you very long..But I can't see you giving anthing up!!!!  

You are a inspiriation me and to everyone who has meet or shoot with you!!   :thumbsup:

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
Rob, kinda puts most folk shooting problems in perspective.  Target panic, trifocals, eye dominance, etc, etc  :thumbsup: ....Van

Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline styckbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »
Rod don't give up one of the best 3-d shooters in Canada lives only 100 miles from me and he lost his right arm in a work accident .He uses a brace attached to his body on which a release is mounted that he triggers with his mouth. Now he shoots a compound but if you are interested I can get you his contact information. Keep up the good spirits Delin
Walk tall as the trees,live strong as the mountains,be gentle as the spring winds, keep the warmth of the summer sun in your heart and the Great Spirit will always be with you.

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2007, 03:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by Carbon Caster:
I met a man once that shoots a bow that has NO arm on his draw side!!!!  He uses a mouth tab,  AMAZING!!!

I salute you for yor determination.

YES IT IS WORTH IT!!!!
I was going to suggest that but for some reason I didnt think they would work for a trad bow.

You are an amazing person to keep going at it just shows how a person can love something so much that they wont let something stand in the way of doing it. Keep going I wish you the best and pray everything will go smoothly.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2007, 05:52:00 AM »
Is it worth it?

We are here doing things the hard way. There are easier ways to launch arrows, kill deer (and make a living, LOL!) and go through life. If there is one thing that I have learned from my time alive on Earth, it is that the level of enjoyment, appreciation, fulfillment and respect are directly proportional to the level of difficulty and effort (mental, physical, and emotional) that you are required to invest in the outcome.

I take the greatest pride, and feel the deepest inner joy in what has made me work the hardest to attain, because what I have truly attained is self respect and well-earned pride. Self esteem (I hate that term) is important, but means nothing, is hollow and a drain, when it is not based on true accomplishment.

Bottom line, only you know how you would feel if you quit, we don't. Would you feel freed, or disappointed? Which feeling would be stronger? You could try it out for a preset period of time if you wished, just to find out. If you found that shooting was important enough, you could start your practice sessions again. The bow will not waste away on the rack.

But if you leave us, your family online, and do not pass what you know to us and to future archers, well, we'd just have to hunt you down!  :saywhat:    

Killdeer  :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©