3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Easton Full Metal Jacket Arrow question  (Read 476 times)

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Easton Full Metal Jacket Arrow question
« on: January 11, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
I shoot easton axis arrows, they fly well are tough and in general I am real pleased.  I am thinking of trying some of the full metal jacket arrows.  For those that use the full metal jackets do they bend because of the aluminum cover. The nice thing about a carbon arrow is its either straight or broke.

Scott
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Easton Full Metal Jacket Arrow question
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
Did not like mine. Do a search for discussion pro and con.You are thinking correctly IMO so stay with the regular carbons.

Offline reinmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
i love my FMJ's this was my first year to shoot them and had two pass throughs.

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
I love my FMJ... you get weight and they are very tough. I have bent very few of them and broken even less. If you want a heavy arrow for hunting, they will get you there and they are so nice to pull out of targets.
bryce olson

Offline ch1ch2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
REINMB,
Please excuse me if this does not sound right but I am not the best at expressing myself in type form.

But, wouldn't "pass through" mean sharp broad head and good placement?  Not anything about the arrow it self?  

I am new to this.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 11:11:00 PM »

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 05:11:00 AM »
hey Buddy they Bend real good and then ya may as well biff  em in the Bin. i still have the old axis 500 and they are Bullet proof.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline 3undr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 06:29:00 AM »
i think they would be about the same as acc arrows. the only difference is that easton reversed the process and put the carbon on the inside. I shoot acc and they are tough but a hard glance or miss can result in a bent arrow.Jeff B is right if you bend one you might as well throw it away and at 10 to 12 bucks a arrow it adds up.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »
If you are hunting dangerous or large tough critters they are worth the $$$. Otherwise for general hunting the axis shafts will serve you better. The axis shaft is stronger and tougher, just ask an Easton tech rep and they will confirm that for you. Being the heaviest shaft GPI of the skinny shafts they do achieve excellent penetration. I would not use them for reg day to day North American hunting/shooting. They will bend, the axis will always be straight or broke.

Ch1ch2

A pass through equates to  good penertation on medium and larger sized game - tree rats, chipmunks and cats don't count. Penetration is achieved by kenetic energy and a sharp broadhead. The shaft weight is a major part of that equation. The FMJ is heaviest skinny shaft GPI wise.
hunt it

Offline Tater 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
I tried the FMJ for a year and had the same experience most have expressed, they will bend with a glancing shot or direct impact with a solid object.
    If you want the extra weight (GPI) you might look at the MFX Classic I believe the GPI is pretty close to the FMJ.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline ch1ch2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
hunt it,
Thanks.
I learned something about the FMJ. That makes sense.  I knew the first part and have always preferred the weight up front.

Offline STUMP THUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
I haven't bent one so far, not saying they won't,
but have had problems with the tip ferrule bending. Easton sells a little adptor that fits over the end of the shaft, that solve the problem or bending the tip and end of the shaft.
An other thing I found was G5 make a device that trues the end of your shaft. Try it on any shaft insert It will true up broad heads. Even if the arrow is cut with a saw I have found they still aren't true. Wouldn't hunt without them.

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
Thanks for the info.

Scott
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
FMJ's IMO are one of the top arrows out there. Something that hasn't been addressed is how beneficial the aluminum outer layer actually is.

Everyone (or at least almost everyone) that has shot carbons has experienced an arrow that seems undamaged but for some reason just doesn't hit the mark or fly well. Carbons can have flaws that are undetectable to the shooter but only show up in flight issues. The aluminum wrap on FMJ's will show any significant trauma the arrow has experienced because of it's inability to go back to shape like the carbon.

Many people will say "then just shoot aluminum"....however, carbon arrows wrapped in aluminum are not only much stronger than aluminum alone but also offer the other benefits of carbon. (tunability, longevity, penetration)

I'm pretty hard on my equipment and can honestly say that I've been impressed with the durabilty of FMJ's. When a dozen arrows lasts me years, I can't complain.....Ryan

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »
i had 6 of them and bent all 6 but i have a habbit to miss and hit a rock or the occasional branch that you thought you cut down when you set up but overall i find it hard for me to pay $70 for only 6 arrows. i used the easton gamegetter and i perfer them over the fmj's for my recurves but probly because there more durrable (to me anyways) and i pay less for a dozen of those than i do for 6 fmjs.

just my .02

steven
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
I bought a dozen Redhead Carbon Supremes years ago and still have 7 of them left. I know they are Bass Pro Shop brand arrows and made by Carbon Extreme I think? But they are the toughest carbon arrow shafts I have ever owned. I put these poor carbons through hell and back and refletched them time and time again. I have never broke one even when I buried them in wood or hit a rock, I lose them before I ever had a chance to break one. Tough as nails, and I'm seriously thinking about getting some more. I got 2 BPS gift cards for Christmas and they are burning a hole in my pocket.

Onestringer- I agree with what others have said, that's one reason why I stopped shooting acc's years ago because they bend when the hit something other than the intended target. I like the reliability of all carbon either being straight or broke.....never bent.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
I shoot both the FMJs and the Axis NANO carbons.

It is true that they will bend and stay bent if the recive the right kind of abuse. I personally have been hunting with them for a while and will be sticking with them for a while.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
So ACC's are aluminum wrapped with carbon?  AND FMJ are carbon wrapped with aluminum???  Which is better?

Seems to me the carbon would protect the aluminum from bending making the ACC a better shaft.

Here's my experience - years ago when I tried carbon I found inconsistance spine issues.  Sixty to 92 lbs on one doz that approached 100 bucks for raw shafts.  Plus they were not as straight as aluminum.  I switched to ACC's which seemed to be a very good shaft.  Since I've tried CE Maxima's also a good shaft.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »
Did   anybody click on my link?  

Will they ever make an indestructable arrow?  I don't think so.  Any arrow that I can shoot into a steel plate and crush a 260g Snuffer and on the next shot split a 250g Zwickey from stem to stern, and then on the next shot shoot the crushed Snuffer like it was brand new is good enough for me.

Good luck in your quest boys...

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »
ACC are target arrows. We are talking about heavy weight hunting shafts FMJ. These arrows were designed to provide heavy shaft that was not obtainable with just aluminum or just carbon. For that purpose they have hit the nail on the head. They are not as strong as Grizzy Alaskans or Hammerheads but they will out penetrate the bigger shafts if weight identical.  In my opinion they are way to exspensive to be using for everyday arrows. If you need a heavy hunting arrow for big stuff they are superb. Rest of time shoot GT Blems for $42.00/doz they are awesome shafts.
hunt it

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©