3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow versus Re curve  (Read 614 times)

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
Longbow versus Re curve
« on: January 11, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
Being new to TRADGANG I thought I would see how much dust this will kick up. I started out going Traditional many years ago with a Rockey Mountain Re curve having a long draw had a hard time finding wooden arrows long enough (33"). Eventually found some Birch arrows which suited me well and back when Rouge River Archery was still around found some POC 33". I then got into Howard Hill Longbows 66" Bamboo and 70" Yew and have not turned back since. I seem to be taken with the Longbow Now and every now and then shoot the Re curve but when it comes to Hunting I always string one of the Longbows and never think twice about it. What are your preferences?
...Mark

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow versus Re curve
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
I like the recurve because my one lo ngbow hurt my wrist to shoot and I gave up after five or six years of suffering.   I have girly wrists and that traditional L/B woodsplitter grip kills me.

I also do better with my first shot using a recurve.  And the first shot matters most.  To each his own.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Brently

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
I used to shoot only recurves but about 8 years ago I tried a longbow, have not hardly shot a recurve since.  I like the HH style, there is just something about that longbow that if you like them there just isn't any other bow that compares to it.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
Do you draw the longbows as far as the recurve?  You must be really long in the sleeve.  Most find that they draw a bit shorter with the straight grip.  Over 30" draw would turn my longbows into slivers and shards, but then they are made to match my shorter draw.

Offline Mike Schlegel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 11:40:00 PM »
Same as Brently said - my recurves are collecting dust! For some reason, however, it took me longer to get 'into' the longbow than the recurve from an accuracy and consistency point of view. Nothing against recurves, just enjoy shooting a longbow more!
Life Member Idaho State Bowhunters
Life Member PBS
Senior Member Pope & Young Club
Life Member RMEF
Member Compton
Cari-bow Wolverine 54@28 "go to" bow

Offline GWC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 11:44:00 PM »
im pretty new to traditional too,but i love my longbow.gave my recurve to my buddy
Just Takn A Day At A Time

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 12:15:00 AM »
I think this could turn into coke vs pepsi or ford vs chevy.  It really is like stumpkiller said, to each his own. Stump killer is spot on, it is about what bow suits your style.  That said, I am a longbow hunter.  I have shot recurves.  My first trad harvest came form a recurve.  I totally dig them, especially their speed.  However, I love the way my D bows look, shoot, behave ... I am a long bow hunter.  I am a longbow junkie.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 12:16:00 AM »
Wow...33 inches is a lotta draw!  

To answer your question first...I prefer a longbow because, for me, I am more consistent with it and, generally speaking, longbows are much quieter.  I have had the opportunity to own and shoot many of each and I loved my 64" Big Horn recurve.  Now I am a dihard LB guy since 2002 thanks to my friend OL Adcock.  

Now, I am wondering if you may be having form issues because of your stated draw.  I have always been the "long draw" of the guys I hunted with.  I have consistently drawn 29" for many years.  When I shot compounds I drew a tad over 32".

Just curious...

Glad to meet you!  See you around....   :wavey:

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 12:46:00 AM »
I started with a recurve 3 years ago.  Two years ago I got my 1st longbow.  I don't think I have even picked up my recurve in the last two years.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
To me the longbow is the true tool of traditional archery. Ishi nor any Indian's I'm aware of shot recurves.

That being said my longbows are all 110% foam/carbon/phenilic and I don't own a horse or a loin cloth. I just love longbows and recurves (especially widows) are best used for beating hogs over the head with in my book.
hunt it

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
I love them both, but I tend to lean more toward my longbows. I shoot both well. 27' draw helps me some. I find my long bows are more forgiving and quieter.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »
My recurves became backup bows for my longbow

just something about it I like better

Offline Cool Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
Sounds like the consensus is that once you get a long bow that suits you you're stuck. I've owned lots of each. I never could enjoy longbows untill someone figured out that some of us need to shoot with a high wrist. Also the advent of r/d makes them even more pleasurable for me. Just my $.02
     Larry

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by hunt it:
To me the longbow is the true tool of traditional archery. Ishi nor any Indian's I'm aware of shot recurves.

Look harder.  The Inuit use recurves, as did the Mongul.

Norse/Icelandic recurve

Bows made in this manner store more energy for a given bow length. Thus a short recurve bow has a range nearly as great as that of a longbow, offering advantages to archers in situations where the longer bow would be troublesome, such as in dense forests or on horseback. Some historical recurve bows are asymmetric, with the upper limb longer than the lower, as shown in the sketch.

The Icelanders referred to these bows as húnbogi (Hunnish bows), although the only reference to them in the Icelandic saga literature appears to be as personal names (such as Húnbogi Þorgilsson, the father of a 12th century lawspeaker). The term does not appear in any of the Sagas of Icelanders.

PS - my ancestors weren't Native Americans and I use a Mediteranean release.  ;-)
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Mike/Columbia Basin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
I've shot both, made both and have both. I just shoot my recurves better but I won't get rid of my longbows either.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »
I've always shot a recurve. I've very accurate with them as long as the recurves are 64" in length. After demoing a 66" recurve, I now prefer 66" recurves.

Three years ago, I purchased a hybrid longbow. A 68" Belcher hybrid Longhorn, but after two years of trying, I just couldn't shoot the longbow as accurately as my recurves. I think my mind just doesn't like the straight style longbow grip. It just never felt right. Anyhow, I sold the longbow to a member here on TG. That was the first and last longbow I'll ever purchase.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
For the most part, I am a recurve guy.  The only style of longbow that I can shoot accurately are the hybrid types, with the Habu Vyperkhan being my favorite.  If I had to pick one to shoot with for the rest of my life, it would probably be a recurve.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
I started with a recurve, and soot it well (in my opinion), just started shooting a hybrid Horne longbow bought from a fellow TGer, and another from the recent auction.  I have been shooting the Horne really well and it is as fast as my recurve, and much quieter.  I will string up the curve as soon as it gets back from a loan and compare groups.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »
I started in Traditional archery shooting a recurve for several years.  Then I started playing with a longbow some.  I have became a longbow guy almost exclusivly.  Something about them that I cannot put into words.  I love recurves from the standpoint of they can have so much more wood in them and I love a pretty piece of wood.  But if I had to choose one for the rest of my life (hope it never comes to that!) it would be a longbow.

Offline hawk4570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
Like them both but love my longbows. I am thinking about selling al my recurves except my 68 Browning
bill browning

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©