3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow versus Re curve  (Read 615 times)

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow versus Re curve
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »
Personally, I wish traditional bows were judged ONLY on their shooting characteristics and would like to see labels like longbows and recurves would disapear. I say this because there are SO MANY variables that seperate bows. I have seen some recurves that shoot like longbows and some longbows that shoot like recurves...especially given the modern r/d longbows that are being made today.

With today's synthetics and superior glues we are able to create bows that redefine traditional archery performance.

That said, I like good traditional bows (meaning bows that do not have wheels, pullies, or locking devices).
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline youngarcher1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
I myself would probably have to pick my my beeler hybrid longbow, the speed equivalent of my RER by much lighter, i like the weight in the hand for some circumstances but then again i like being able to stalk the woods for hours with out and hand fatigue

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
A lot of guys who say "they shoot longbows" have high grip risers and pretty short over all bow length. I shoot low grip hybrids 90% of the time and a 66" D-shape  "real" longbow the other 10%. Calling a hybrid a longbow to me just isn't right.
lll

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »
I shoot R/D bows. Like the recurve but there's just something about the R/D. I call them Shortbows.   :knothead:   Calling a Hill style longbow isn't right either. Check out a real English longbow. Maybe we should call them American style flatbows like the rest of the world does.   :bigsmyl:
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline KumaSan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
I shot recurves for over thirty years, and was introduced to longbows by a bowyer. I've switched to the LB and it's my primary hunting bow the past two seasons. They are easier to make quiet, and fit me well.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
I shoot both and I like both. I like a bow with a large rigid riser and a long overall length because it suits my style and taste. However I killed a deer with a trim little Great Northern longbow this year and did not feel the equipment was a tradeoff or handicap. Your best bet is to just pick the bow style that most appeals to you.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©