3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: protege long bow ?  (Read 654 times)

Offline kbertsch

• Trad Bowhunter
protege long bow ?
« on: January 11, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
I quess that add for protege longbows that pops up in the bow section finally got to me, I like the looks of them strung and unstrung, so I ordered one. anyone have any experience with these bows ?
Kasper

Offline snow leopard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: protege long bow ?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
i don't have any experience with protege longbows per se, but i have been in contact with lee regarding questions i had pertaining to my sentman moosejaw razorback, and i can tell you he is a super individual! he is very patient and, i feel, went the extra mile to help me out. also ordered one of his stings for the bow, and am very, very happy with it. i would think you made a very good choice ordering a bow from him.     :thumbsup:
"the symbol is not the reality"

compton traditional bowhunters
wisconsin traditional archers

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »
Have no experience with them but would love to hear your review once you get the bow & play with it.
BTW I have hunted out of Mohull about an hour from Minot. Very good hunting but the last couple of winters have been really hard on the herd.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
As a fellow bowyer I can tell you that Lee knows what he is talking about. I am sure that you will get a fine bow if you get one from him.
God Bless You all and have a great day, Steve

Offline Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
I like the looks of Lee's bows as well. Having Gary Sentman as his mentor provides a wealth of knowledge and skills that have come with a lifetime of longbow building and shooting.  I wish he had a TD option.

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
His write up was very nice.
I came close to ordering one but.......

Let us know how you like yours.

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys. Unfortunately with my full time career as a science teacher, I don't get to travel much so no one outside of my area has seen our bows yet (other than Gary himself of course).

I look forward to getting some of my bows out there for people to see.  Several bows will be leaving here next week to various members of tradgang. Gary indeed was very helpful, and I am blessed to have known him so well for so many years. He has taught me a great deal in traditional archery. I believe his experience combined with my analytical nature has produced a winning combination, and I hope those here that chose one of our bows are as pleased as I am. I really do believe we have basically taken Gary's Moosejaw Elite and improved upon it.

Rick, I will most likely work on a take-down option this summer, as I will have the time I need to do some field testing with my idea. I already have a plan on such a bow that would allow me to use my current form, as I don't want to change any of the characteristics I have in our current one piece bow.

For all those that have already taken a chance on us...THANKS FOR GIVING US THE OPPORTUNITY!!!
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline coltar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
Lee is a personal friend of mine who I've known for around 12-15 years.He is building a bow for me also.Lee is a very meticulous person who painstakingly strives for perfection in what he does.I can't wait to get my bow in my hand.I think you made a great choice & will be pleased.
John

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
On his website Lee gives a nice detailed description of his bow design. I think he's really put some thought into the performance end. With Gary Sentman as his mentor he has a lot of experience to lean on.

That said, I've ordered one myself and look forward to giving it a work out. I'd be glad to give an opinion but only after I've put quite a few arrows though it. Lee has been very good to work with through the order process.

I like his motto:  "Precision performance begins with precision craftsmanship"

I'll leave the bell and whistles for someone else.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »
I like the look and design of his bows,great looking bows in my opinion!

Online ny state land

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »
Lee,
I do not see anything regarding the bow Warranty on your site?

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
I do need to put something on my website about that. I haven't put that up yet as it is something I have been considering, but have yet to come up with any conclusion on. Personally, I believe 1 year free replacement or repair for any failure that results from materials or craftsmanship seems to be pretty much an industry standard and that is what I am leaning towards. Shipping and abuse of course wouldn't be covered.

It is the minor details that I need to work out...such as, I think an archer should use at least 8 gpp arrow weight for maximum efficiency, but I have been thinking about allowing as low as 7 gpp for my warranty as I believe the bows can handle that without any problems. I am very selective with my materials and also careful with my glue mix up and tight glue joints. If I see something structurally wrong, it won't leave my shop. Should I produce a bow that has a minor cosmetic blemish but is structurally sound, I won't even ship that to a client...and will produce the client another bow. I might put such "cosmetic" blemish bows in my inventory and sell it at a reduced price, but I have to think about that. If I do sell such a bow it too would still come with a full warranty.  For example, right now I have a bow in inventory named "Little Scrapper" (that I haven't put on my website). It got its name because I used some scrap (but structurally sound) materials in that bow that I don't advertise on my website. Also it was the 3rd bow I made off my protege longbow form. For disclosure, I had a 22" cocobollo riser that I glued up laying around, but had not yet used and I also had some edge grain bocote 0.030" veneers (which I do not offer bocote as a limb wood in my bows). So, I used that riser in that bow and the bocote veneers in the limbs just to use them up, but combined them with some edge grain red elm to be sure the bow would perform well. (I normally use only bamboo or edge grain red elm for my natural limb cores as I believe they, and maple, offer the best performance...which is our goal). Additionally, I had some carbon that was only 0.020" thick that I didn't have any planned use for as I normally use 0.030", so I put that in that bow, but hid it behind the bocote veneer. Although this is done all the time by many bowyers, I normally only use carbon directly under a black s-glass backing. Finally, that bow bow has clear glass on the back and the belly so one can see the bocote veneers...but the piece I used on the back that had one small 2" streak in it (very hard to see in the finished bow and if I didn't point it out in the right lighting most people probably wouldn't even see it given the bocote limbs), but I do know it is there...so, should I sell that bow (as it is structurally sound), I will likely sell it at 33%-50% off just because of the blemish.  In conclusion, I think it is a great bow, but I do believe most people would find my typical competition bow superior...yet, I figured I might as well use these materials up...after all these same materials are often used by many bowyers even though they may not be my normal preferences. I may give it away to a youth...but honestly, I see no reason to not sell it discounted although if I did so I would still offer a full warranty on it. "Little Scrapper" or not, the final product is good so it certainly shouldn't go to waste should someone want a light weight bow. It is only 38#@28" draw and has a slightly small grip for an adult...perfect for a lady or youth. Regardless though, I wouldn't sell it without such being disclosed to the customer.

Rest assured, anything sold will be covered as I want to treat customers the same way I too would want to be treated. Of course are all human, so warranties need to be written up and addressed in order to protect both the customer and the bowyer.

That said, I am reasonable and basically feel warranties should be taken on a "common sense" type basis, but unfortunately a "common sense" warranty would be worthless in writing. Last thing I want is someone to get a problem. The entire goal of my bow is to benefit the archer. Problems don't help anyone. So, the best option I am leaning towards is a simple no-nonsense 1 year warranty on craftsmanship and materials.
Lee

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 04:03:00 PM »
very interesting
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online ny state land

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »
No problem there with me 12-14 gpi foe me!

Offline newell38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
is the strikeforce coming back!
"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
Endless loop strings, heavy bows, and wood and only wood arrows...my kind of archery!

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
Not likely. I didn't shoot it as well as I did the elite, although the protege longbow does actually have more r/d than did the moosejaw elite, it isn't as radical as was the strikeforce.
Lee

Offline newell38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
Ya I've been lucky enough to shoot a lot of his bows including a few of his personal shooter and I loved loved loved the strikeforce! When he was at your place I actually contacted him about a strikeforce build and he was for it but I had some stuff come up around the house and my bow fund went bye bye. Id love to see an osage strikeforce! Keep up the good work!
"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
Endless loop strings, heavy bows, and wood and only wood arrows...my kind of archery!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »
i think 7gpp with a stickbow is waaaaay too low, not only for the bow, but for the shooter and arrow.  imo, the lowest minimum cutoff is about 9gpp, and around 10gpp is better yet with most bows of decent, realistic hunting weight.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 10:39:00 PM »
Rob, I agree with you completely when it comes to efficiency and optimal energy transfer. Even though I think it is best to use 9 or 10 gpp, with the number of carbon arrows in production now a days I have seen MANY bows are proving to handle 8 gpp on the 3D trail. I myself use just over 9 gpp and have never blown a tip on a bow. I think most tips that blow are results of dry fires or neglect.

Anyway, it isn't uncommon to see a guy with a 60# bow using a 480-500 grain arrow, which is close to only 8 gpp.

In reality, a 60# bow with a 30" draw and 9 gpp probably hits harder than a 60# bow at 7 gpp at a 25" draw. I do not wish to come up with an overly complicated warranty that has different specs for different bow weights and draw lengths. Maybe I should just stick with 8 gpp as the minimum required arrow weight for my warranty...as good common sense is indeed important to a bow's lifespan.  As I said, I haven't decided yet.

Thanks for your input.
Lee

Online ny state land

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 06:39:00 AM »
>>>----->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©