3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: protege long bow ?  (Read 655 times)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: protege long bow ?
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 06:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by Protege Longbows:
... Maybe I should just stick with 8 gpp as the minimum required arrow weight for my warranty...as good common sense is indeed important to a bow's lifespan.  ...
most bowyers set the threshold at 8gpp.  truth be told, in the final analysis it'll be the honesty and integrity of the customer that will matter most.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
Rob,

No doubt, but I want to have something in writting on the matter just in case a "newbie" gets one of my bows. Fortunately, most newbies have someone with more experience to guide them to some degree at least, but I would hate to see a newbie get a traditional bow and then go to the local compound bow shop leaving with a set of light weight carbon arrows (5-6 gpp) that were designed to be shot out of a compound bow in which the limbs have almost no movement (by using the movement of the wheels/cams). So I need to come up with some guidelines on both warranty and user manual. I am sure I am going to enjoy this new adventure of being a bowyer, but being a custom bowyer requires more than just producing a bow...and it is those types of details I am working out now. Thanks again for your input.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
I agree with Rob.  I would set the warranty at 8gpp and then suggest 10gpp in the user manual. Guys who have experience will know if they like 8gpp or 12gpp but the newbie won't.  10gpp is probably pretty much average and a good place for someone new to start out at.

I like that you will reject a bow with cosmetic flaws BEFORE sending it to the customer or offer it at a discounted price. I have bought some high end bows and paid a bunch of extra cash for premium woods only to have it arrive with defects and white spots in the glass.  Can't help but feel like you got taken when that happens.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 01:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Protege Longbows:
Rob,

but I would hate to see a newbie get a traditional bow and then go to the local compound bow shop leaving with a set of light weight carbon arrows (5-6 gpp) that were designed to be shot out of a compound bow
Got your finger on the pulse of the problem right there.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Online ny state land

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
Lee,
when is the first Tradganger going to receive a bow?
Stacy

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
I just told my wife I want to finish up 3 bows this weekend, one of which is the first order I had on the tradgang. I plan on shipping that one on Monday as it is 80-90% done at this point. They should receive it by Wednesday/Thursday. I would like to get a 2nd one out next week also, as I have already started it and some of the risers on a few others as well. I tend to work on the bows in stages...doing risers...then glue ups...then tillering...then grips...then finish work, but it is more efficient to overlap the process. I will have to improve on that. It looks like I will have some busy weekends in the near future.
Lee

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
I just uploaded our warranty details as well as our owner's manual. Thanks for the feedback.

Click here to view those details.  http://www.protegelongbows.com/orderforms.htm
Lee

Online ny state land

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
Just sent my MO to Lee for my new Competition Longbow! Lee do you think with your longer handle section it will add to the mass/stability of the bow?

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
Thanks. It will certainly add some mass and beam strength...but it also helps my limbs store energy and perform the way I want.

I will be in and out of the bowshop all weekend, so it may be hard to reach me by phone sometimes...but my computer is typically on and that is often the most reliable and efficient way to reach me should you need to do so. I hope you enjoy your bow when you receive it. You guys are going to be keeping me very busy!!! LOL.
Lee

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
I got two of the three bows that I needed to finish up done and the 3rd is 90% done. One of those two I finished was the first Trad Gang ("TGS bow"), which I got shipped out today. Hopefully its owner will pleased with the bow. It is a 66" Protégé Competition Longbow. The riser is bubinga. Here are some photos of it...

Unfortunately, this photo with the name on it is blurry. The bow was completed on 1-11-11 (except for the finish and leather grip), and with it being the first bow I sold on Trad Gang, I had to name it "TGS Numero Uno."

Lee

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
Wow, that is a beauty if a bow! Who ever is getting it, I hope you will post some shooting thoughts!
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Clint B.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »
Hi, Lee. I'm trying to visualize your grip sizes and shapes. For example, does the bow directly above have your standard "locator" grip? If not, how would I specify this particular grip shape? I really like it. It's almost close to what I call a semi-pistol grip. I expected you might be offering just a simple indicator grip before I saw this photo. Also, is the grip on this bow size Medium, Large or otherwise? Thanks. Clint

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2011, 12:11:00 AM »
This grip is a medium "contempory type locator" in my mind. A slight locator IMO would be more gradual in the throat. I worked off the measurements given to me from the customer to achieve his desired circumference at both the throat and the heel of the grip. Gary Sentman often times had a similar grip on his mountain bow models.

On my order form I have a section on "notes." I try to listen to what a client wants and then work my own interpretation of what a grip should be like INTO the perimeters desired by the customer.
Lee

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
I got Numero Uno.I am a hopeless bow addict and always wanted a Moosejaw.I never could find one used.So I never got one.I had heard good things about them from guys out west.

So when I saw Lee was building these bows similar to a Moosejaw with modifications my interest was peaked.I read the info on the website and was impressed with the info and his association With Gary Sentman and his bows.

Lee offered the TGS bows at 100$ off introductory price and I bit my lip and ordered one and I got #1.It was finished being built on 1/11/1 as well.Kinda cool!

Its 66 inches (24 inch riser) and the Competator model with carbon.No extras other than the carbon.I wanted a basic bow that would shoot and perform.

I love the riser on these bows!!!Its unique and has excellant fadeouts.Its strong looking as well as graceful and adds a little mass weight.The grip is nice for me.I had him put the elk hide smooth side out for the grip instead of rough side.He stitched it on very well and tightly so it should not get wrinkles or bulging spots on the grip.Many small multipe Xs completed a good stitching job.Its well done!

Lee made the limbs slightly wider on my bow to smooth out the draw to 30 inches.It as  smooth drawing as any bow I have pulled.It has a real nice smooth draw force curve all the way back.Its also smooth when the arrows is released,no shock.Its pleasant shooting.

The bow is quiet and is plenty quick.Its not fidgety at all when shot

The arrow sits right on top of the hand.I like that and I get no feather contact with the meat of my hand when the arrow passes.

I found that this bow accomdates an Eagles flight quiver very well.This long riser with long fadeouts is taylor made for mounting a bowquiver.Its a good marriage.You can mount the quiver down the fades quite a bit to keep it from effecting the limbs in any way.Also the hood of the quiver and grippers are still spaced very far apart.So its secure and you get little to no vibration on your arrows when the limbs recover upon release.I like that!So if you hunt with a bowquiver you are gonna like this nice fit you will get.

All and all a very nice shooting bow thats well made and the service from Lee was 1st rate in staying in touch with me and keeping me informed and asking questions on just what I wanted and he delivered.

String is a 9 strand Dynaflight and i was shooting CX Heritage 250s cut to 31 with 200 up front and also CX 150s cut to 30.5 with 150s up front.Bow is 48#s at 30.Cut to center.It shot both arrrows well and was quiet with the lighter !50 arrow that was around 475 grains and very quiet with the 250 thats around 575 grains.i was happy that it shot the lighter arrow very quietly.Some of my bows dont shoot light arrrows as quiet.

Cheers!

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
Steelhead, thanks for the great report. I'm TG #4 and my bow will just about mirror yours except I ordered 50# @ 28". A lot of the design highlights you pointed out are reasons for me ordering the Protege.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
Your welcome Hatrick.I know some of you guys have bows coming soon and thought I would give a report on my observations as was requested by a few other members.

Hope you Gell with your bow.It will be a nice  all around shooter!

Online ny state land

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
Eric,
what grip did you get?

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
Its in the picture on page 2 of this thread Stacy.

It fits the hand nice and naturally.

I took some measurements of a grip I like and Lee matched the measurements pretty close.

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2011, 11:37:00 PM »
Thanks for the review Eric. I appreciate it a great deal and I am VERY happy to know you are pleased.
Lee

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
Here are some photos of the bow I referred to as "Little Scrapper." Even though it was the 3rd bow I actually glued up, I didn't actually get around to putting the finishing touches on it until a few weeks ago. I thought I would post some pictures of it as well.

Lee

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©