3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: GPS  (Read 387 times)

Offline penrosefred

• Trad Bowhunter
GPS
« on: January 12, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
I am interested in getting a GPS for my pickup for a trip to texas pig hunting and haven't any idea where to start. I sure need some help, It has to be easy to use as I am a old man and a little slow.
I have been blessed, beyond measure.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: GPS
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
I just bought a good used garmin 330 from a friend who had just up-loaded all new maps.  It real easy to use and I am computer stupid.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 10:28:00 AM »
Garmin is the brand I prefer.  I have a GPSMAP60csx that I use with the Garmin 24K Regional topo maps. The GPSMAP60csx is great for both on road and off road use with the topo maps installed. The satellite reception in dense coverage is very good and the chip set used in the model very accurate.
here is product description. I use a 2gig SD card in mine.
 https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=310

You should be able to find it for about $200.00

All gps units take some "getting used to".  I would suggest some practice before going out on a hunt.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »
I think he wants one for his truck (driving directions type).  I don't have any experience with that type but I am happy with my handheld Garmin.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
Garmin nuvi for the truck will get you where you need to go (maybe on a few routes that are 'different', however). I've had nuvis and I've had a TomTom, and my Garmins have performed better, at least for me.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »
Yep...me too. Garmin Nuvi...even my wife can work it. The only thing I don't like about GPS road units; it takes you the shortest route and that sometimes means going right thru downtown instead of around. If you keep an eye on it, you can see the by-passes most times.

I also have the CSX60 that Les is talking about. Great handheld unit.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
Yup the Nuvi or the Tom Tom.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »
I had 2 Nuvi's. My wife took one and now my daughter lifted the one out of my truck.

Offline stickbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
Biggie, this may be a dumb question. I have an old DeLorme mapping pgm that takes the shortest way as you say yours does, even if thru town. Can you put in waypoints that would take the around town route and just Pgm them in before you start? Thats how I do mine and with it I have to print out not a GPS pgm just mappinmg on it. BUT IT does hel[p doing it that way....

Offline Green Mountain Boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
I'll echo the sentiment from above the nuvi is great for a vehicle I have a garmin legend that I like in the woods. I will say that my garmin has reception issues when there is ice in the trees.
That's why they call it hunting....

No Name 50# at 28" (maybe Ben Pearson)
'69 Bear Grizzly 40# at 28"
Great Plains Wolf Creek  50# at 28" one piece
Fruit of the Loom Size Large

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
Bill, I'm sure you can. It will handle 100's of waypoints and it does come with software but I haven't messed with it so I really don't know what all it will do. Maybe set it on the "faster time" option instead of "shortest route"

GMB as far as reception, I've had no reception issues with either. The CSX60 will lock on in the thickest canopy I can find.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
Yeah, I hate it when the ladies voice says "turn right, turn right...rerouting...."  I just turn down here voice.
For the woods I love the 60CSx also. It will get good satellite reception in thick overhead tree canopies and it is relatively easy to use. The topo map is good too. I can't see wanting more. I bought mine used. The guy didn't erase all his fishing hot spots! Too bad I don't live in N.C.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline penrosefred

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 02:03:00 PM »
Holy smoke, I just got on **** for garmin nuvi gps and got 17,334 hits, can some one give me some help with Models, please
I have been blessed, beyond measure.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
Just to clarify. I use the 60csx on the road too. Screen is a little small but if you zoom in you have plenty of time to slam on the breaks and take the off ramp to avoid going through town.  the 60csx has 2 options for road travel  shortest distance or fastest time.  You can also add in waypoints to tweak the travel route if needed.

Before traveling I use Garmins Mapsource or the newer version called base camp to pre plan routes to where I am going. The 60 is also capable of doing auto Routing and finding things like gas food hotels banks etc if you have the correct maps loaded into it.  I use the 24k topos because they are not locked to a single unit.

If I wanted to visit Biggie I would create a waypoint with his address. Select it. do a go to with "Follow road" and be on my way.

Out in the woods you can do a goto "off road" and get directions as the crow flys.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
Les, how do you set it up for "shortest distance or fastest time"? I have not found this.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »
Let me get the unit out. I have it set so I get the option every time.
Menu
Setup
Routing "Follow road method" You can also turn on and off "next turn pop ups.

Hope it helps David
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©