3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How about a shoulder re-build along?  (Read 526 times)

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
How about a shoulder re-build along?
« on: January 12, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
As mentioned in an earlier post, I have to have surgery on my right shoulder. I thought it might be cool to document my progress, as it may help someone else going through the same situation. The goal here is to get back to a point where I can shoot my bow accurately before deer season comes back around in 2011. Turkey is already out so deer will be what I am shooting for.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How about a shoulder re-build along?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
Bunch of folks complain about shoulders. Great idea. How about some pre/post bow & draw specs? Be sure to include your physical therapy & doc's recommendations. PLease ask him a lot of questions about how/why re the joint affected. Much obliged.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
Let’s start with a little back ground information. I am 39 years old and in very good health. I try to take care of myself so I can continue "play" with my bows as long as possible. To say the least Archery is a very important part of my life! It comes in third right behind god and my family! Under normal circumstances I shoot my bow everyday, weather permitting. During the summer I shoot 3-D tournaments almost every weekend. During hunting season I hunt most days. It is a very difficult thing for me to accept that I will not be able to shoot my bow for 4.5 months. Back in early December I injured my right shoulder by horse playing with my nephews. (BIG MISTAKE) - My wife said I should have known better that I was not 20 years old anymore......As usual she was right. I actually dislocated my shoulder causing a Labral tear.

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by straitera:
Bunch of folks complain about shoulders. Great idea. How about some pre/post bow & draw specs? Be sure to include your physical therapy & doc's recommendations. PLease ask him a lot of questions about how/why re the joint affected. Much obliged.
I shoot a 53 @ 28 D - shaped Dwyer Longbow. I actually am pulling it to about 30 inches so its almost 60 lbs. As we go along I will try and post pictures, physical therapy requirements, pain management solutions etc. From what the doctor said, its going to hurt like hell for the first 2 or 3 days after the surgery!  :eek:

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
Good luck.  Since you take good care of yourself now, it should help with the rehab.  Keep us posted.

Offline TD2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
please explain the injury. I.e. pain severity, location, when did it hurt? What arm positions caused discomfort etc. ( for those of us with our own probs but too chicken to see a doc lol)

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by TD2:
please explain the injury. I.e. pain severity, location, when did it hurt? What arm positions caused discomfort etc. ( for those of us with our own probs but too chicken to see a doc lol)
Ok, let me see.... The right shoulder was affected.. This is the way the Dr. explained it to me... Golf analogy.. Your shoulder ball is the golf ball the cartilage that the ball sets in is the tee. There are tendons that connect the ball to the tee, when I dislocated it, the tendons tore away from the cartilage. This caused severe pain. The pain is so bad; I have trouble sleeping at night. It hurts worse if I hold my arm up or when I try to scratch my back or when I go to put on my jacket. The surprising thing is I can still shoot (Not doing it now of course) but the last couple of weeks of deer season I shot 3 does with my shoulder in this condition. If I relax my shoulder muscles, I can actually feel it trying to slip out of place.  :scared:

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
I have videos of both shoulders undergoing repairs-want to include them? One was maintenance, the other shoulder was broken.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
Hey Slayer1, looks like me and you are paddling the same boat.  I am just trying to delay the carving.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
Had a buddy who ripped his tendons so often that you speak of that they couldn't hold his "ball" joint in place. The drilled holes, cut the tendons from the bone, slipped them through the holes, tied knots in them and stappled them tight enough to hold the socket together.

He couldn't shoot a gun from that shoulder for the period you speak of.  he learned to handgun hunt.

They told me the same recoup time for shoulder rotator surgery 7 yrs ago. I was back shooting my hunting bow in 2.5 mo., not the 4.5 they said.

But...BUT...I did ONLY what I was told I should and I did it religiously many times a day. Lord healed me quicker too I guess, but it was neat to be back on the ground last week of our PA archery season!

Best wishes... if they do any arthroscopic work, tell them you want extra pics to scan in. They were great shots of my work and clear as could be...inside my shoulder! Amazing!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 02:08:00 PM »
Good luck!  In March '02, I had an AC joint resection, an acromium plasty (sp), and a biceps tendon repair on my right shoulder.  It took awhile, but I was good to go by October!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 02:08:00 PM »
I have a dislocated shoulder from jan of last year when I got injured from a fall at work..(it healed itself but with some real bad problems)....they mis diagnosted and when they finally found out 6months later they sent me to rehab along with my ankle and back and hip problems..all stemming from the fall at work..they didnt pursue my shoulder that well because of the severity of my ankle problems..I just had my 4th surgery on my ankle less than a month ago(ankle fusion) and was told that I will have a shoulder operation after my ankle heals enough to support my weight so it looks like im gonna miss another year of hunting..I dont even own a bow any more..had to sell everything I had to help with bills..PV from here was kind enough to loan me a lefty bow to shoot..so I dont go crazy...out in my wheelchair shooting in the snow..walking with my crutches to retrieve arrows...gonna send it back soon as Im having a hard time borrowing a bow from someone when I dont even own 1 my self..its getting to me pretty bad, specially since i cant even afford one anymore while living on worksmans comp...I hope your surgery goes well and you mend well and get out and kill some good animals this fall...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline primitivealltheway

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
its rough not being able to shoot your bow,i had my 2nd back surgery last march and the doc had to go in a take a disc out ,and fuse my back together ,get your self a light poundage bow,that way you can build the muscles back up ,i started with a 40 lb bow ,and just drew it a quarter way back and was haveing fun and building my muscles back up,2 weeks later started pulling half way back ,im sure i could have puleed it all the way back ,cause i felt fine ,but better safe than sorry.go slow !!! them turkeys and deer will still be there.
"nothing like being in the woods with a stick and string"

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 02:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
I have videos of both shoulders undergoing repairs-want to include them? One was maintenance, the other shoulder was broken.
That would be cool to see! Post them!

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »
I have a pdf file thats called the 7 minute shoulder workout. Goes into each shoulder muscle and there function and how to work them out. Its very good information. I will be glad to send it to anybody that wants it. I have had both shoulders cut into and they have never been the same. Still have issues. But, thank the Lord, I can still draw my 60lb bow. Send me an email and I will send it to you.

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
I've had 3 shoulder arthroscopies, rotator cuff repairs on the right and left and a torn labrum on the right.  My rotators were a piece of cake.  Mostly just "polished" the pitting and I didn't even have to go through rehab and was back to shooting pretty quickly.  The torn labrum is a whole different animal.  Doc told me if I was a horse, they'd shoot me! Go slow, do what they tell you to and you'll survive, but we're talking months, not weeks.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline SDB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 01:10:00 AM »
I finally had to have shoulder work done this August, doctor replaced ball and cleaned socket. Pain in joint has completely gone. I was lucky in that it was my left shoulder (I am right handed). Just started shooting again.  Strength is not yet back so shooting light poundage bow. The key is to listen to doctor and your physical therapist. I have gained more mobility back than I originally thought would happen.  It can take a fair amount of time to recover depending on work they have to perform.
The best advice I can give do not keep putting off – the longer  you go with an injury the more damage seems to compound itself.  My shoulder was dislocated several times many years ago playing high school and college football (20+years ago). Should have had it fixed then but always had something more important to get done.  I paid in the end.   If you do not like options get second opinion.

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 01:08:00 AM »
my personal trainer is certified on indian clubs he was lifting a180lb kettlebell overhead he weighs 170 this is a one armed lift he got it up and his arm collapsed his rt elbow ending up in front of his face it took him one year to come back he placed 13th in the u.s.in his weight class in arm wrestling recently
Arrow_Flynn

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
I have been rehabbing my right RC since 2001. No surgery. Just rested, healed and began doing shoulder rehab on both shoulders during my normal workout routine, 4X week. No problems.

Now, my back wants to kick my ass! Hello 40 here I come!
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Online trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
I dislocated my shoulder at work in 1990...in 1995 I had two operations , One on the labrum tear, then a second on the rebuild to prevent further dislocations...I would say it took 2 years after surgery for full recovery as my nerves in the shoulder had been damaged..now it is excellent. My other shoulder has a rotator cuff tear that never healed right, it can be a real pain at times..but I usually manage if I rest it when I strain it occaissionally. Had a great sugeon..that helps too.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©