3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How was the hunting in Iowa this year?  (Read 1589 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
How was the hunting in Iowa this year?
« on: January 12, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
I've heard a number of people say that deer numbers are way down in most areas of Iowa and that quality is also beginning to suffer.  How was it for you guys who hunted there this season?  I'll probably draw a tag for next season.  Just looking for a little perspective.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How was the hunting in Iowa this year?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »
I have 2 points....it'll be alot better next year.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
The deer population is down in my area and I've heard the same from all hunters and I've really noticed their were a LOT of bucks this year but we went through gun season so its a waiting game for next year. 1 property that I hunt and have hunted for the last 10 years and I am the only hunter on the propery the farmer asked me NOT to shot any does. I think further south the population might be better because for the big timber. Let's see what the boy's from southern iowa have to say.

doug77

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »
1st time Not Bad  :rolleyes:    I saw bigger buck every day, just a matter of getting the right shot...Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
My brother lives in Iowa and he feels the numbers are way down.  He has refused to shoot any does the past couple years,  even though the DNR is encouraging it and handing out doe permits by the boat load.  He believes the DNR is being influenced too much by the insurance companies and not by what the actual deer numbers are.  He says the last few years of the shoot everything and anything mentality has decimated the deer numbers.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Online Cocklebur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
I have seen the same thing in my area in Kansas.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
Deer numbers in general way down in Dad's area (he's near Albia, Zone 5).  There has been a steady decline in both numbers of deer and overall quality of older bucks in general in that area since he moved out there - 12-15 years ago.  He has been taking a significant amount of does from the property the last several years - as have been the neighbors - and, of course, the deer are hammered big time during the gun seasons - and the overall population is about right, in his opinion, but probably down 50% from the high point 10 yrs ago.

The more distressing part is the decline in mature bucks.  That area is hit really hard by the "wannabe trophy hunter" types.  Lots of TV crews and magazine writers in the area.  Some of these guys are famous for hunting mature bucks until the last couple days then shooting "whatever" for the video camera.  There are still plenty of younger bucks, and some older deer, but not nearly like it was 5-10 yrs ago.

Of course its all relative....if you are from an area with few good deer you will see better deer than you are used to, but it ain't the Iowa of 10 years ago.

Ryan

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
Im not in southern Iowa but am close.  My two spots are within a mile of a river and I havent seen much decline in numbers.  Iv heard of others that have said the same, theres good numbers next to the rivers.
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ryan Rothhaar:
Deer numbers in general way down in Dad's area (he's near Albia, Zone 5).  There has been a steady decline in both numbers of deer and overall quality of older bucks in general in that area since he moved out there - 12-15 years ago.  He has been taking a significant amount of does from the property the last several years - as have been the neighbors - and, of course, the deer are hammered big time during the gun seasons - and the overall population is about right, in his opinion, but probably down 50% from the high point 10 yrs ago.

The more distressing part is the decline in mature bucks.  That area is hit really hard by the "wannabe trophy hunter" types.  Lots of TV crews and magazine writers in the area.  Some of these guys are famous for hunting mature bucks until the last couple days then shooting "whatever" for the video camera.  There are still plenty of younger bucks, and some older deer, but not nearly like it was 5-10 yrs ago.

Of course its all relative....if you are from an area with few good deer you will see better deer than you are used to, but it ain't the Iowa of 10 years ago.

Ryan
GOOD.............maybe this word will get out and we ( residents ) can get our hunting ground back from out of state leasers!!!
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »
Plenty of deer left in Van Buren county. I will add however that I did not see as many really big bucks this season as I usually do. I'm surrounded by celebrities and persons who manage their deer herds for quality deer.  Very little gang hunting takes place on properties near mine.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »
"Plenty of deer left in Van Buren county"

Good cause I have two point and that is where my buddy's farm is located!  His farm house is on the Mazzura side of the line.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
Yep, All the TV shows were headed to Iowa 10 years or so ago, to see what all the buzz was about. They were hunting Illinois and Texas before that, back during the infancy of quality deer management and managed food plots. I remember watching Bill Jordan saying "If you want big trophy bucks, come to Iowa" (paraphrasing) So they all started hunting southern Iowa. In 5 years time, folks were buying up timber left and right and leasing it out or running outfitter services, especially in Van Buren County. I had been watching the signs go up faster and faster since 1994. Next thing you know, someone hunts the Milk River and sees the number of deer and they all rush out west and invade the river valley. Uh-oh! I heard someone killed a big one in Kansas. Yeah they got big ones over there! ...and so it goes. Missouri is creeping onto the TV shows more and more too. I'm waiting for the day when the tag prices shoot up and are no longer available over the counter.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
Deer numbers were down for us this year more than last year in our spots. I don't remember too many marks on the DNR report i fill out each year. And the ones we had were way small, like one to two year olds. We were lucky on one farm as we seen five real nice bucks. But they were coming out of ground tied up year after year to one or two people. My wife and a Buddie of mine both like to drive around and take Wildlife photos. And he usually covers half of Van Buren County's roads and comes up with ten to fifteen Record book bucks on film a year(150 up). Cheryl only got one in 40 days of road work. This year he got one nice buck photo and has gave up wasting his gas. Most of the gang i associate with has had the same concerns. Too little deer available on little available ground and all young. For the first year in many years we made a nice tag soup with four in the pot. My opinion is some will say there is a crap load of deer. But, where you seeing them? Me, Tied up land like out of state owners who only draw once in a while. Thus a haven for the pressured animals in the available ground. Leased land, or no hunting land. And assured they all have food plots to attract the deer when the pressure gets on. Looking at some of those places from the road and you see a majority of those deer are no older than 2 years old. Got to agree with Ryan, Iowa is no longer the Iowa i once knew. From no deer and all the open Land you ever wanted to hunt, To a good amount of deer and all the Land you could get permission to hunt, To now, few Deer and very little free land to hunt.
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Gene Hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
Deer herd noticeably down in my area of NE Iowa.  Most CRP ground going into crop production while other good habitat being cleared for farm use.  Add in several years of bloated doe tags and you have a recipe for disaster.  The hunting is still pretty good, but not like it was 5-10 years ago.

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
NW Iowa (Woodbury County) had very good numbers.  Saw more deer than ever this year.  Part of that is because of more time hunting for me this year.  Was fortunate to get over 90 hrs in the stand this year.  A great season.

Offline muley40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
My land is divided by the Cerro Gordo and Worth county line, this year Worth county didn`t have any doe tags which was good, but overall the deer population here is way down, we don`t have the timber like southern and eastern Iowa, crp program is almost none excitant in this area every thing is in production and with $6.00 corn and prices getting higher because of the damand for ethanol it is going to get worse for the deer up here, the only thing that got worse this fall was more drive by shooters during the shotgun season and the late muzzeloader season,
Independent Bow Hunter

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
This was the slowest deer season I have ever had.  Night and day compared to last season.  Like Vic said, most does (what I saw of them) were young.  Saw very few fawns.  The state biologist said that most does aborted last winter due to the weather being sooooo bad.  Many farmers called into the DNR ths past spring worried about the numbers of dead deer found curled up under trees.  I know many party gun hunters that did not tag out.  They said that had not happened in 10 years.  I think it is a combination of the doe only gun seasons and the weather last season.
I sure hope they come back next year.  We are having a nice winter so far.  Not a ton of snow.  For now, no shooting does at our place.  My archery tags went to waist this season:(  Got a big boy with my patch and ball smokepole to make up for it.  While I was gutting him, a 140 class 8 pointer walked up at 60 yards to see what was going on.  We stood up and watched him for a few minutes.  I had to wave and say "hi" to get him to run off.  Strange, never had that happen before. Not to mention that after I shot the big buck, a small 2 year old 8 pointer came in and fed 15 yards in front of me for 15 minutes.  I was sitting on the ground up against a blow down.  Got some great pics of him on my cell phone:)  He finally took off when my hubby came in to help me drag the buck out.  Strange season indeed!
Good luck to everyone next season!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
The Pope and young ten pointer that i was after all year, got run off by an idiot in a blue/green Blazer storming across the field,(public land) when it was 50 yards and heading my way.  Considering the language that came out of his mouth in my direction, it showed his intent.  I now know where he lives.  You bet, I am still mad about it.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
Iowa has sold doe tags by the truck load and it has caught up to them real fast we'll see what they do next year.I moved to Iowa in the fall of '99 and hunted starting in 2000 and what has happend in the area I hunt almost makes me sick to my stomach. A few years back It wasn't uncommon to see 4-6  150" plus bucks during the rut this year I saw 1. Lets hope for a change at least in some areas.

doug77

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©