3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Red Oak mystery  (Read 391 times)

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
Red Oak mystery
« on: January 12, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
Took the grandson sledding today at a nearby park and this tree caught my eye.  It appears to be an immature red oak or at least in that family from the pointed lobes of the leaves. What struck me is that it doesn't appear to have dropped any leaves.  I've seen beech trees carry this much foliage into the dead of winter, but never oaks.  Talk about good break-up cover for a tree stand! What gives here?  I apologize that it's a stretch to tie this to trad, but deer will eat the acorns if there's nothing better on the menu.

"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Re: Red Oak mystery
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
its a pin oak , they dont like to give up there leaves.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »
The red oaks around here hold some of their leaves well into the winter, beeches even longer, almost until spring.
  On trees like the beechs the leaves are held on the "juvinile" wood(meaning some of the first wood produced on the tree) and it is this area where the best propagation wood comes from when doing hardwood cuttings or grafting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
The leaf reminds me of a Pin Oak.

I also looked it up in my book and am even more certain that it is in fact a Pin Oak.

Check the acorn,they have vertical stripes with light brown alternating with greenish browns on fresh acorns. The acorn is nearly hemispherical in shape and are enclosed at the base in a shallow cup.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »
Agree with arrow30
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
pin oak

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »
Thanks for the help, guys.  I thought the bark also looked too light/smooth for a red oak, but couldn't come up with a better theory.  My Audubon tree field guide agrees with your concensus.  Folks around here tend to mistakenly refer to willow oaks as pin oaks, but I believe this is the "real McCoy". Willow oaks have tiny acorns and those horrendous short, slender leaves that are nearly impossible to rake in the fall.  The reason this tree caught my eye is that just to the right of my hand is about 300 yds of open space (2 baseball fields and 1 soccer field) where a small herd of deer crossed in the night. This park is miles inside the city limits and one set of tracks looked like a nice buck, i.e impressive length and pronounced dew claws. From the sign it looked like he was possibly trying to "carve out" an unbred doe from the rest, although I'd think it was getting pretty late for even a secondary rut.  City deer probably don't know any better!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©