3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bino question  (Read 622 times)

Offline Avid Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Bino question
« on: January 12, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
What magnification binoculars are your go-to glass for general hunting use?

I'm considering the Vortex Fury but I'm undecided on wether to buy the 6.5x32 or 8x32.  

I hunt in Georgia so I don't need glass to watch critters a mile away.

-Dave

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bino question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
My favorites are 8 x 26 (290ft@1000yards FOV, 14 oz).  I like the small ones.  I'd be more a Vortex Vanquish kind of guy.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline BMejia

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
8 x 32 for me!

Offline SimpleMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
My go-to binos have been a Bausch & Lomb Hemispheres in 10X42 for many years.  They are a little big, but they have great clearity and light gathering ability.  My primary use has been on stands and all around general use.  I will be looking for another pair about half that size for stalking purposes and will probably be in the 10x range too.
Know God, Know Peace!

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
8x32 but very seldom use them
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Tutanka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 05:05:00 PM »
If magnification is not the number one consideration, then I would go with the 6.5's.  Generally a lower magnification will provide a more stable viewing area, and more eye relief.  Some people will also argue that the lower magnification will work better in low light situations.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »
I just picked up a pair of Leupold Yosemite binos, 6x30, for under $80 after reading a thread on here.

They are without a doubt, the finest optics under $400 I've ever had to my eyes. They're light, small framed, easy to carry (meaning I'll actually carry 'em!) & wonderfully bright & clear. They're perfect for the brushy, close country we have down here, but I wouldn't hesitate to rely on them at longer distances. They'll be with me in Texas come February anyway!

Do a Google search. There are lods of places that sell them, but the prices vary from under $80 to over $140 so it pays to shop around. Amazon's a good place to start.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 06:09:00 PM »
For bowhunting and especially in woodland areas go for the 6.5 x 32. I have 6 x 30 Vortex and love them in the woods of BC.  Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »
8 power for me
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
I like the 6x30. I can hold them steady with my right hand and hold my bow in my left. I couldn't do that as well with 8x. I have the vortex vipers and I've had no problems with them.

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
The 6 power binos would be perfect for the Georgia woods. I have 8x30, 10x42, 8x42, and 6x32. The 6x32 is sold by Eagle Optics. I think they're call the platium rangers. I use that glass more than the rest and two of the others are swarovskis. You will hold the 6 power more steady, and they're all you'll need in the eastern woods.
N/A

Offline MikeBurns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
I prefer 6X.
Sgt USMC '80-'87

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
I totally agree with Rob on the 6x30 "Yosemites" by Leupold   excellent clairity, light weight, excellent light gathering capabilities and waterproof with a life time warranty to the "origional buyer" and all for a price in the neighborhood of $100..      :thumbsup:      

Saying this, I also have a much higer priced set of Leupold "Gold Ring" 8x42's also excellent "AMERICAN MADE" and a better warranty as it's not limited to the "origional purchaser" but 4X's the money and probably close to 4-5X's the cost, not to mention about 2X as heavy... mine have been spending alot of time in the truck or camp trailer since using the 6x30's, as I perfer the light weight and field of view.

Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
A few years ago...I spent the money on a pair of Leica 8x32's.  I can honestly say that other than shooting lessons with Rick Welch...this is the best money I have ever spent on hunting.  I know one thing.  I use them WAY more than I use my bow on a normal hunting day.  I know many have said this before, but you are probably better off spending the money on a good pair with a lifetime warranty.  Leica, swarvoski, zeiss, etc.  It will save you money in the long run, and you will use them alot.  I have had cheap binoculars that spent most of the time sitting in the truck.  Now...I never do ANYTHING outdoors without my Leica binos on.  The 8x32's are good for whitetail hunting, and I never notice they are on me.  Great for determining if the buck that is coming towards you is a shooter.  When hunting in the late season...is that a doe?  A button buck?  A shed buck?  I cannot recommend them enough.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
By the way...my buddy bought a pair of X binos last season for about $500.  He has been very dissapointed with them...since they fog up all the time, and are not very usefull under low light conditions.  I tried to tell him before he bought them.  He finally told me I was right about that one!  HA!  I've been there before too.

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
Only thing I could add to this is that I feel the same way about my 10x42 Swarovskis!!  From the deer woods of Mo to the thick bush in Maine to the high plains of Wyoming, the best money I've ever spent on equipment!!!
Originally posted by jonsimoneau:
A few years ago...I spent the money on a pair of Leica 8x32's.  I can honestly say that other than shooting lessons with Rick Welch...this is the best money I have ever spent on hunting.  I know one thing.  I use them WAY more than I use my bow on a normal hunting day.  I know many have said this before, but you are probably better off spending the money on a good pair with a lifetime warranty.  Leica, swarvoski, zeiss, etc.  It will save you money in the long run, and you will use them alot.  I have had cheap binoculars that spent most of the time sitting in the truck.  Now...I never do ANYTHING outdoors without my Leica binos on.  The 8x32's are good for whitetail hunting, and I never notice they are on me.  Great for determining if the buck that is coming towards you is a shooter.  When hunting in the late season...is that a doe?  A button buck?  A shed buck?  I cannot recommend them enough.
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline BlackDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
Favorite pair of binos I've used are the 8x32 Leica as mentioned.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
I've had a pair of 8x32 Leicas for a little more than 10 years. I've been extremely pleased with them.  Light, compact, very good light gathering and excellent clarity and contrast.  However, I wish Leica and the other top quality glass makers made compact 6 power glasses.  8x is a good all around glass, but I prefer 6 or 7 power in thick country/ woodlands.

Good glass is becoming quite expensive.  8 power Leica, Swarofsky and Zeiss glasses now go for about $1800. There are some very good 6x-7x glasses in the $200 to $500 range though, as others have already pointed out. Good luck.

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »
I've had a pair of 8 x 30 Swarovskis for about 9 years and absolutely love them. Coupled with the bino-system strap, they are on every hunting trip with me. I can glass all day with no eye fatigue.

Best money I've spent on hunting equipment IMHO.

Buy the best you can afford. You won;t be disappointed.
Good luck on the search.
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline mjdglobal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2011, 04:15:00 AM »
I've gotta agree with the people suggesting to buy high quality glass.  Buy a pair that you 'can't afford'.  Trust me, there's no comparison.  Instead of having to shell out money every year or two for binoculars that are gonna break or fog up, spend a little extra money.  You'll have a set which will last a lifetime and guess what?  You can actually see something through them.  You'll find that you use them all the time when you have a high quality pair.  Zeiss are awesome.  I doubt you could go wrong with Swarovski, Leica or Kahles either.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©