3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Brushless/tapeless cresting  (Read 649 times)

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Brushless/tapeless cresting
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
I use a shelf over my workbench.  Two 1/2" x 4" dowels set halfway into the shelf edge exactly 26" apart on centers.  And two goat castration bands on the shelf end of the dowels for clearance - but those are optional.  ;-)

My weight is an exact two pounds: made up of lead with a screw hook to loop over the shaft.

I have an unloaded index mark and, when loaded, I note on a little ruler taped to the shelf where it ends up.  Then I use a vernier caliper to measure the difference (aka deflection).

Some day I gotta get fancy and buy a micrometer like Rob shows.  But this works fine.

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by moose eye levi:
While using the same products (the markers) would dipping the shafts in min wax poly make them run as opposed to rubbing it on?
No.  BUT, I would test whatever you intend on using.  Also, if you thin the polyurethane for dipping that's another solvent at work.  I used straight out of the can for wiping.  I found the Sharpie to be colorfast no matter how much polyu I applied.  The Pilot metal ink markers ran and dissolved under the polyu so I do that highlighting just before fletching after the polyu sat 24 hours to dry well.

I tried Pantone and other markers years back and they ran under a lacquer dip - which some folks think looks good.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
yer spine machine is every bit as good a tool as mine, charlie!   :thumbsup:

i might add to all, you MUST have straightened the shafts b4 checking them on the spine machine or all bets are off, and yer readings will be total doo-doo.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
Thanks.  And I agree on the straightening: before tapering either end, too!  I straighten mine (or at least inspect) three times before fletching.  Before spine, before taper, before fletch.

PS - if you look close - that shaft is tapered and you can see the back bends more than the front.  But spine is spine.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©