3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: martin howatt bows  (Read 526 times)

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
martin howatt bows
« on: January 12, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
many bows have been made with the name howatt.high speed,super diablo,howatt hunter,cavalier,balboa,ventura.question I have is what was the best one for hunting or best shooter?
see

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: martin howatt bows
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
In whose hands?
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »
WOW, loaded question, but a good one.  

A lot of us love the Howatt bows and feel they are well made and great hunting bows.  Damon Howatt was a bowyer from Yakima, WA who began a small operation with his wife and he developed a great line of bows over the years, selling out his company in the early 60's.  Martin bought it in 1976 and has continued a trad line of Howatt bows.  

It would be tough for most folks to pick a "best", but most of us have favorites.  If I were to have only one Howatt, it would be the Hunter.  It is a 62" classic recurve and this is its 50th year of mfg.  

For a shorter bow, I like the 58" Mamba which is just another name for the discontinued Hi-Speed.  

I am also a fan of the Monterey, a beautiful bow made for both hunting and target use but was discontinued years ago. Occasionally, they still appear in the classifieds.

Your best bet is to try and shoot as many as you can and see which you like best.  Used prices are pretty reasonable too for such a quality bow.  Good luck
Lon Scott

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
thanks blackhawk.I knew someone would have some good info on these.sounds like the hunter is appropiately named and would be a great choice to make.I have only shot a newer martin.
see

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
Once in a while in the older vintage Howatt hunters you will find one were they used Brazillian Rosewood that were just gorgeous.A friend of mine has one that is from the 70s that is the prettiest one I have ever seen.And I have 3 that I love,but arent as pretty as his.Im a big Howatt fan.

Offline Purehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »
I've got a 1974(?) Super Diablo 60" 52@28 with the rosewood riser. I bought it here on the classifieds and I swear it shoots as smooth and quick as my custom. I am quite impressed with how it handles BUT, it is soooooo nice looking I just cant bring myself to hunt with it yet.

I have shot an older Hunter that a friend has. Shooting that old Hunter got me hooked on wood bows.....
Hunt it, kill it, grill it!

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 12:47:00 AM »
I have many Martin/Howatt bows and they are all great shooters.Find the one that fits you and you like the best.You may want a shorter recurve like a Mamba for hunting or you may want a Hunter or longbow?

Offline Bald Spot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 01:24:00 AM »
I have(and had)several Howatt bows and used to live 11 miles from the factory.  At present I have bow ranging from a late 50's Diablo to a Martin Saber.  Almost all are superior shooting bows.  I must admit that I really like the Monterey's.  That said, the ones I liked the least were the 1965 and 1984 Hunters!  Just goes to show, to each their own.  It's really hard to go wrong with any of them.

BS

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 01:36:00 AM »
Here's a couple Damon Howatts I picked up a couple years ago on Craig's list.  The top bow is a 50# 1967 HiSpeed which is a 58" bow in rosewood, but I had to pay a whopping $25 for it.

The bottom bow is a 53# 1973 Howatt Hunter I found for $125.

Lon Scott

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 06:54:00 AM »
You really can't go wrong with a Hunter.  At typical used prices, these bows are a steal.

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
Of all the Howatts I've owned and/or still own, If I had to choose only one to hunt with it would be my 1968 62" Monterey. This bow was built on the same form as the Hunter the only difference being the stripes in the riser.

I have 4 Hunters and prefer the older models with the brazilian rosewood and older style grip. Of all the bows I've owned over the years, including many more expensive custom models, non could out perform my Hunters and most couldn't perform with them.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 08:27:00 AM »
thanks guys.all the input helps and its a steal it seems to find one of these jewels at such good prices you have mentioned.blackhawk, it seems you have a nack for finding good deals.are you that good at taking deer in the woods?
see

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
My youngest son chooses a rosewood Super Diablo over any bow made.Beautiful bow and a real sure nuff shooter
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
I have a few Martin bows, but the best of the bunch is the Hunter. Great lenght, very stable, and very fast. It has a large rigid riser and short limbs and I have seen very few people who could not shoot it comfortably.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
Actually, it's really no trouble for me to find deer     :dunno:

...and here's a 1964 Monterey, 62" and 50#.

Lon Scott

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
I had a 65lb. Hunter that was my first real recurve.  That was one hard shootin' bow.  Kind of wish I never got rid of it.
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »
That's a beautiful Monterey, Lon. Here's mine that I refinished a while back. 62" and 49# @ 28". Love this bow.

The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »
wow.thats an awesome bow.
see

Offline GraniteStater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
My brother had a 60# older Damon Howatt Hunter that shot dead straight and flat.  Very reliable and consistent bow.
1Peter 5:6,7

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
Dave,

After you posted that Monterey pic a few months ago, I went on the prowl for a twin.  I did not come up with one as nice as yours   :thumbsup:  , but I'm still proud of it   :D  .  

I had a 69" Monterey years ago that was marked 55# (white limbs too), but like a lot of Howatts, it was a lot heavier than marked.  :(  

Does anyone know when the Monterey was discontinued?   :dunno:
Lon Scott

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©