3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bloodtrail dogs  (Read 930 times)

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bloodtrail dogs
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by meathead:
Blacktail has that right.  Jagds are not pets for kids.  They are hunting dogs.  They need to have a lot of field time.  They are not a house dog by any means.
Check out the boar hunt on youtube with a couple jagd's in eastern Europe!!! Man them things may be little, but they are fierce!!!
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 01:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by Slasher:

Originally posted by meathead:
Blacktail has that right.  Jagds are not pets for kids.  They are hunting dogs.  They need to have a lot of field time.  They are not a house dog by any means.
Check out the boar hunt on youtube with a couple jagd's in eastern Europe!!! Man them things may be little, but they are fierce!!! [/b]
I was going to post a video but thought I better not.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline Alfie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 05:25:00 AM »
Here in Sweden, the huntinglaw say's the there MUST be a trackingdog availible in 2h from the shoot been taken, the law apply on all biggame down to roedeer, for other smallgame it's highly recomended or a absolut need for, a dog that can find the animal(birds, hare, fox and so on).

To practice blood tracking, you'll need to learn the dog   what you want it to track, the dog know by instinct how to track prey.
Most breed can be useful but some are better than others.
I use my German hunting terrier for all my hunting, works greate with the kids but isnt a first dog so to speak, needs good handlingskills from the beginning, go wrong and be to soft with a hunting terrier and you'll get a combination of a chainsaw and a piranah on crack!

I mostly recomend at "slow" dog for pure tracking, such as a lab, golden, and dogs alike, a good tracking dog is easy to follow in the woods and easy to read, this is the key here, the dog wont be better than the handler! There must be a good bond between dog and handler, so that the handler can inturpret the dogs behavior and reactions, in that way, dog and handler becomes a team that will work together.
"Relax your mind and understand nature"

Offline StJoePTP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 06:12:00 AM »
Wirehair Dachshounds are one the best.These dogs are good for multiple reasons but being able to pick them up at times to put them on a trail is not back breaking like a lab. Their noses are also closer to the ground. There is one guy in Michigan that does it for a business. he went 14-14 with his.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 06:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by StJoePTP:
Wirehair Dachshounds are one the best.These dogs are good for multiple reasons but being able to pick them up at times to put them on a trail is not back breaking like a lab. Their noses are also closer to the ground. There is one guy in Michigan that does it for a business. he went 14-14 with his.
Picking them up and putting them on the trail or in your gear bag is a great advantage.Wouldn't even think of picking up my Lab.In Jersey she weighs more than the deer.   :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2011, 07:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by fujimo:
who has good info on traing to blood trail?
thanks
wayne
My other passion is dog training mostly German shorthairs but if you dont bird hunt get a little dog

Heres the short simple way to do it...

Basically when you gut or hang a deer try to recover blood from it and freeze it, if you have some buddies that will help get them to recover as much blood as possible everytime you or they kill a deer.

Now freeze it, film canisters or small tupperware type containers work well.

Next the training,

Put a harness on the dog this will teach the dog to associate the harness with the tracking job at hand. Use this harness for tracking and nothing else.
Now the rest is simple take the frozen containers of blood and mix them with a gallon of well water ( dont use chlorinated water) then lay a trail with a gallon milk jug with holes punched in it so the water/blood mixture drips steadily on the trail. one film canister or small cantainer of this size per gallon will work well. wear rubber boots to conceal your scent you want the dog to track the deer blood not you.

First trails should be straight and maybe 25 feet get the dog to track them, and have a reward on the end, hot dogs or any dog treat the dog likes will work. do this once each day for a few days so the dog learns that there is something real good for him at the end of the short track.

Next gradually make them a little harder first longer in a straight line the start to make right angle turns so the dog learns to backtrack and pick the trail back up.

Dogs pick this up real quick, little dogs like dachounds and small mutts work well because they are close to the ground and naturally ground trail, but labs and shorthairs learn it quick also. The nice thing about little dogs is they wont jerk your arm out of the socket trailing, a big dog in a harness can pull like you cannot believe.

DO NOT DRAG A DEER HIDE!!

The reason you are going to the trouble of collecting the blood is to teach the dog to track blood trails not deer, anywhere you kill a deer there will be lots more of them, you want the dog to track blood trails only.

When you actaully do this in the field wear orange and have some assistants that hang back if possible wearing orange also. have one of them bring a 22 pistol if legal, in case you need to dispatch one( check regs).

You can place deer road kills at the end of trails when you get to the advanced part of the training, then really praise the dog when he finds it and give him his treat.

thats about it.

Key points
1)no deer hide drags, just blood
2)dog always on lead while wearing tracking harness , otherwise the dog will leave you behind and is in danger of being shot during gun season, never use this harness for anything else but tracking.

3) you take the week or two it takes to train this and you will never lose another deer
4) let other deer hunters in your area know you can do this to give the dog ample practice each season
5) love your dog

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2011, 07:22:00 AM »
one more thing there is no way I would allow my dogs around a 3 year old unless I was in direct supervision

toddlers and even little dogs are a bad mix, children have no concept of dog body language and even a little dog could kill a child. Dogs are pack animals and they settle pack ranking issues with aggression posturing followed with actual fighting if the posturing doesn't get the message across.

That is why kids get hurt.

I raised 5 kids with 6-10 german shorthairs in my home but never allowed them together unless I was there directly watching what was happening.

The other issue is an excited  dog can knock a child down by accident, much like one of my horses did to me last week.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2011, 07:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by bobman:
one more thing there is no way I would allow my dogs around a 3 year old unless I was in direct supervision

toddlers and even little dogs are a bad mix, children have no concept of dog body language and even a little dog could kill a child. Dogs are pack animals and they settle pack ranking issues with aggression posturing followed with actual fighting if the posturing doesn't get the message across.

That is why kids get hurt.

I raised 5 kids with 6-10 german shorthairs in my home but never allowed them together unless I was there directly watching what was happening.

The other issue is an excited  dog can knock a child down by accident, much like one of my horses did to me last week.
listen to the man he is giving the best advice.   :thumbsup:  I have seen children get hurt/bitten when I worked in the ER.And don't rough play with the puppy till the kids get older.The dog may not know when to stop.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
Can you train the dog using blood from cattle, etc.  Deer blood only might be tougher to get.  If I got a dog, I would use it to blood trail hogs, elk, etc.  Just wondered how important the type of blood used in the training sessions.

Offline lil jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
I used to use a duetch drathaar... a german dog similar to a wirehair... he found two deer for us last year and he was about a year old
I dont hunt to live, I live to hunt... It's better to be the preditor than the prey

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by acolobowhunter:
Can you train the dog using blood from cattle, etc.  Deer blood only might be tougher to get.  If I got a dog, I would use it to blood trail hogs, elk, etc.  Just wondered how important the type of blood used in the training sessions.
You can get scraps of meat and even freeze blood in sandwich bags after a harvest. The dog can be trained to trail blood or the carcass.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline lil jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2011, 11:17:00 AM »
you can also use pig or cow blood
I dont hunt to live, I live to hunt... It's better to be the preditor than the prey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Alfie:

I use my German hunting terrier for all my hunting, works greate with the kids but isnt a first dog so to speak, needs good handlingskills from the beginning, go wrong and be to soft with a hunting terrier and you'll get a combination of a chainsaw and a piranah on crack!

Do yours looks something like this?:
 http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm291/BlacktailBuck/PaulScruffNutria1-4-08.jpg    http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm291/BlacktailBuck/ChewyCompressed1.jpg
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »
You folks need to show pix. Any dog will trail if properly trained. Just an excuse to get one you always wanted.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline SHS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
Hi guy’s

Here is my tracking dog his name is Hammer he is a wired hair terrier!

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2011, 12:30:00 PM »
Here's my CHOWDER, cousin to Ryan's dog Oscar.  Also pictured is his first REAL deer track from last week-end and the results!  I posted a thread called "My little tracking pup grows up", you can check it out.

"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by buckster:
[QB] Here's my CHOWDER, cousin to Ryan's dog Oscar.  Also pictured is his first REAL deer track from last week-end and the results!  I posted a thread called "My little tracking pup grows up", you can check it out.

Barry, they say a dogs traits often resemble that of their owner. In this case, I would have to agree  :biglaugh:

Offline Alfie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by BlacktailBowhunter:

Originally posted by Alfie:

Do yours looks something like this?:
  http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm291/BlacktailBuck/PaulScruffNutria1-4-08.jpg      http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm291/BlacktailBuck/ChewyCompressed1.jpg  [/b]
yepp, that's a German Hunting Terrier, or GHT for short  ;)
"Relax your mind and understand nature"

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »
I use a Border collie, I have trained her with man made blood trails and she did fine, I put her on a couple real blood trails and she did OK, but after a few something clicked in her and she got the idea of what I wanted and she is great now. My Border Collie will strive to do whatever I ask of her and once she figured out what I wanted she really worked hard on blood trails.
As far as a pitbull, I grew up in Louisiana hog hunting w/ dogs and have seen what these dogs are bred for, it will scare you to see what these dogs are capable of. Before everyone gets all fired up at me, this is my belief based on my observation, not hearsay. If you believe differantly that is fine.
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2011, 02:24:00 PM »

here is my Border Collie from a couple weeks ago. There is a good book by John Jeanneney on training blood dogs
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©