3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NC hogs were to go??  (Read 1659 times)

Offline the longbowkid

• Trad Bowhunter
NC hogs were to go??
« on: January 13, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
we live in eastern Nc and we're looking for feral hogs east of raleigh, preferably public land. any suggestions?
thanks
LM
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 50@28

"too many people live under the misguided impression that death is the worst possible of natural events"
  -John G. Mitchell, "The Hunt"

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NC hogs were to go??
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
Sent PM
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 08:40:00 AM »
I'd also be interested in any info.  Getting on some hogs is high on my to-do list.

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
I saw fresh hog sign on the Caswell Gamelands spring gobbler 2004. There are wild hogs on the Neuse River - these have always been there - ignore the talk about hurricaine escapees - stable numbers near lake wacammaw - and hunters are moving them all the time - also some on the great pee dee anson county.

There are plenty of pigs - the only problem no matter where they are is access. You still have to join a club, pay a trespass fee, lease the land if it is available, or access them during a season if it is public land.

similar to how it goes now for you deer , bear or turkey hunting in NC - use that as your benchmark.

For the dedicated bowhunter you would find more opportunities for less money in SC. For those bowhunters who are not dedicated to bow hunting and would be happy to hunt with guns or dogs SC has plenty of that too.

<><
<-----------------<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
Luke, we have some on the outer banks, not easy hunting though. There are some (by game commission reports)on game lands over here too.  

Shoot me a PM if you'd be interested coming over here.

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »
I also would love to be able to get some hogs in NC but it seems pretty hard to find them on public land unless your a regular and know where to go.

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by Cory Mattson:
I saw fresh hog sign on the Caswell Gamelands spring gobbler 2004. There are wild hogs on the Neuse River - these have always been there - ignore the talk about hurricaine escapees - stable numbers near lake wacammaw - and hunters are moving them all the time - also some on the great pee dee anson county.

There are plenty of pigs - the only problem no matter where they are is access. You still have to join a club, pay a trespass fee, lease the land if it is available, or access them during a season if it is public land.

similar to how it goes now for you deer , bear or turkey hunting in NC - use that as your benchmark.

For the dedicated bowhunter you would find more opportunities for less money in SC. For those bowhunters who are not dedicated to bow hunting and would be happy to hunt with guns or dogs SC has plenty of that too.

<><
<-----------------<<<<<<<
That's the impressive I've gotten from everybody I've talked to.  I've got a friend that lives and works outdoors in Anson Co.  He say's there's sign everywhere, but nobody will give permission to hunt them.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 11:36:00 AM »
I have talked to State DNR to get leads on them and they say on the gLs where they are confirmed you need ot hunt middle of the week as pigs are known to be there and everyone is chasing them. If you have boat/kayak go that route.

J
Always be stubborn.

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »
also some years ago - ? 2000 - maybe a little later - I had a map of confirmed wild hog populations in NC. Same as the deer - turkey maps you can download now off ncwildlife website. Generally game population density maps are updated every 5 years - anybody know where to get the latest copy ???

<><
<---------------<<<<<<<

Offline the longbowkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 08:19:00 PM »
anyone know weather theres hogs on the roanoke?
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 50@28

"too many people live under the misguided impression that death is the worst possible of natural events"
  -John G. Mitchell, "The Hunt"

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
luke there are "some" not many tho and its a BIG swamp. Your best bet is to get up with Mark (obxarcher), he is probably talkin about the water tract in corolla
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 12:21:00 AM »
We have some I know on an island down here around browns inlet. You put out the boat at willis landing and go out to the main intercoastal. Just pick a day they are not bombing Browns island as it will be close and LOUD.

I tried these guys once - no they weren't bombing - found tracks and jumped one in the thick stuff and only got a fleeting glimpse but they were a wild hog. I could not tell you the name of the island even if it has one?? just how to get there by boat or google earth.

J
Always be stubborn.

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
The wildlife dept. had over 500 hogs trapped off Caswell county game lands a few years ago.LCH

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 08:31:00 AM »
Lee - 500 is an amzing number of hogs. For a Gamelands the size of Caswell this would put Caswell equal in hog numbers to the Savannah River National Wildlife Refuge - which is poluted with wild pigs. This number would also mean that NC hunters using Caswell would see Hogs on every deer or turkey hunt.

You live closer to Caswell than most of us so do you see hog news in your local paper, radio ?? stuff like that?

So my question is - do you trust the source of the information? Is there evidence or documentation of such a cull.???

Generally when hogs are that thick WMAs in SC or GA schedule extra hog hunt dates during winter and spring so Wildlife emplyees can manage or trap less.

J dog - I have not seen hog sign anywhere on the Roanoke - but I have only looked while striper fishing so I could have missed them - is the island you describe in the lower roanoke river ?

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
also a heads up that the Savannah River National Wildlife Refuge has a 10 day wild hog hunt in March. This refuge is managed better than ANY private land within 100 miles of the refuge. Hogs are plentiful. Only need the short term NR license - no big game - no wma - shotguns allowed but still probably the best 'off season' hog hunt available to you since this is a no rifles - no dogs hunt (last time I checked) --- the drive is about the time and distance for me to go to the northern outter banks. Motels, campgrounds - easy. Take a johnboat and you OWN that hunt.
<><
<----------------------<<<<<<

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
No the Island I speak of is on the intercoastal waterway off the backside of Swansboro.

Have to chec out that Savannah WR hunt in March. SOunds like fun now that I have gotten myself outta having to go be a cop. I would bring my kayak.

J
Always be stubborn.

Offline KDdid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »
Glad I stumbled onto this thread today, as I spent the better part of yesterday afternoon googling public land hog options, and was pretty well discouraged by the lack of options after Jan-Feb.March would be a great time to get the old pop-up out of the barn on back on the road, too.
Kevin
Cory- any fishing opportunities that time of year there? Thanx

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 06:28:00 PM »
If anyone wants to team up next year, I would be interested in this.

I googled Savannah River Ntl. WR and got this info:

Hog Hunt
March 12-20, 2011
Hog hunting will be permitted March 12-20, 2011 in all
areas designated on the attached refuge map.
A hunting license is required to hunt feral hogs.
Only hogs (no bag limit) may be taken.
Only shotguns with slugs, muzzleloaders, and bows (no
crossbows), in accordance with state regulations,
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
I used to hunt there a lot, Paul, a few years back (mostly for pigs), and I'll tell you that you need to be prepared for two things (besides snakes 'n gators- LOL) 1. MUD! Take Mud Boots (or plastic snow shoes) with you at all times - I mean you can sink in up to your never-get-outs if you don't. 2. Unbelievable Tide Shifts. I've never seen a place where the difference between high tide and low tide can leave you stranded with your boat (actually) hanging in mid-air like it can in the Savannah River area. It can sink an improperly tied up boat while you are in the woods - trust me. Been there, done that!

There are a lot of stories and pics in the early Journal and Gallery (lower numbered ones) pages of my personal web site re hunts in the Savannah river National WR area and related problems (and fun) - a great place to hunt though as long as you are prepared and careful. There are some solid ground parts but they are in between the swampy, deep mud areas and not easy to get to even after you learn the way. I quit going there (and started going to Sumter, SC area. - then quit that too just as i was switching to Trad bows. You'll find interesting reading about it.

http://residents.bowhunting.net/bsdunn/index.htm
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Arrowhead80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 07:09:00 PM »
You can go to the Howell Woods website to book a hunt with them down near Holt Lake in Johnston County. They have feeders hung year round if i'm not mistaken. I haven't been there but a guy at my work has been several times.
Possum the other white meat

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©