3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NC hogs were to go??  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: NC hogs were to go??
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »
Kevin - Fishing: The Savannah River is an amazing place to fish and bowfish - access just up or downstream from the refuge will put you on everything from redfish and seatrout to redbreast and Catfish. The place is thriving. April is better though for Fishing.

Friends - that Savannah NWR Hog hunt is a great opportunity for those looking for a "free" hunt over the counter on public land.

Howell Woods: I'm only going to say this one time. DON"T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<><
<------Cory------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
Our daughter and son-in-law live in the Charlotte area. The wife and I were think of going out to see them this fall and I was going to take my bow and do some hog hunting. I may even try for a deer, have never hunted for Whitetail, we do not have them in Utah. Thanks alot for the info it will be very useful.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 06:47:00 AM »
Sorry - I forgot the slants on my web page link in the post above. I corrected it now and checked it.

Oh - one other thing about Savannah River area - Check the maps closely. Much of it is SC on one side and GA on the other side (of the river/reserve) - make sure you buy and carry the right state license for where you want to hunt, unless you can afford to carry both, and don't get caught on the wrong side. I always did the SC side, but I heard (back then) GA had a lot of pigs.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KDdid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
From what I see on the website, access on the GA side is almost entirely from water, and I was thinking about taking my 17 foot coleman gut-bucket canoe if I go...Would love to shoot or catch some redfish, if hunting time allowed. Since it seems you could do this on a generic non-resident hunting license, does either GA or SC offer a week long tag at a reduced price?

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
Anyone interested in puting together a Tradgang Hog Hunt on Savannah Wildlife Refuge in March of 2012?
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
Short term NR licenses - Yes

Paul - too farout for me to commit - but if you guys do go - I will probably swing by - I hunt in March down there anyway. One of my favorite places.

I'd like to see someone hunt this year 2011.

<><
<------cory----<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
Cory,

I would have this year, but I will be in Texas after Javis at the Texasshootout.com
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline KDdid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2011, 03:22:00 PM »
O.K., boys, Now I just need to talk my buddy (and co-gas tank filler) into going! By March, I'm grinding my teeth, and really wanting to shoot something. Besides, after years of raising pigs on the farm here in Indiana, I got scores to settle!
Kevin

Offline KDdid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
Got the go ahead from the Missus last night, so plans are in the works for this March...Now I just need to get my ducks in a row. I spoke to Danny Dupuy today, who is familiar with both the refuge and Fort Stewart hunting options, man I'm pumped about pulling this off. Any one else want to go?
Kevin

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2011, 05:49:00 PM »
Hey Blacktail, I would be interested. I could possibly get my pops to go too. A little far out to commit 100% but I'm a good 90% right now. You in state or in Oregon?
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
I know I used to use SC NR 3Day licenses, (except for one year I was given a annual Big Game License for my Birthday by a hunting buddy).

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KDdid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
As Cory stated, there are short term license options for both SC and GA. I might buy both, and hunt both sides of the border as the piggys lead...thinking a pushpole with a duckbill attachment might be a really good thing to bring.
Bernie, you've hunted there before, would you think a muscle powered canoe is adequate, or should I bring something with an outboard?
Kevin

Offline ironrhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
Been lurking lately... I'm In if anyone wants to go... its only 1 1/2hrs for me so lets just find some times that work for everyone and go!!!

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
I agree with Cory on the Howell woods hunt. I hunted it three times several years back. I shot a 175 lb. boar with my recurve the first hunt. Hunted it one more time that year and again the next year with no luck. The first year or two was good hunting but I wouldn't recommend it now....
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline flungonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
I'm game for Mar 2011 or 2012. How long would we be hunting, the weekend or week, possibly 5 others to join on a weekend or on returning weekends

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by LongbowGuy83:
Hey Blacktail, I would be interested. I could possibly get my pops to go too. A little far out to commit 100% but I'm a good 90% right now. You in state or in Oregon?
I'm in Oregon, but I like to travel. I will be in N.C. later this year hunting with my friend Lee Busque. Lee is a pro bull rider that I met while hunting Ohio with Leatherneck and Co.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2011, 05:42:00 AM »
KDdid, A canoe could/would work fine if it is a stable one (with a small keel) and the paddler(s) are strong/competant. Those tides can be wicked fast moving, as well as super high/low. We thought about building a rack on one guys boat (did it) to carry my canoe so we'd have both with us. We tried around here/home and it worked well. Get to a jumping off place fast then anchor and use canoe for short hauls in narrow/shallow places. We never did get to try it down there though before our hunts switched to Sumter and then fell apart (stuff happens). Stories and pic of that rig are on my pages also. Safety first always with a canoe but even more so in the lower Sav River. A great place when things (tides) are right but it can turn real scary, real fast if you loose track of the time. We fared best with a utility boat - check the pictures. Oh, Make sure you have plenty of gas/extra tank on small boats - you can use a lot more fighting the tides.

http://residents.bowhunting.net/bsdunn/index.htm    

(It's a non-commercial, personal web site - LOL - and worth checking out for info and entertainment.)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KDdid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
I'm going to spend some time studying the tide charts, just want to see what I'm facing current-wise. I'm familiar with paddling and poling both upstream and down, but really want to best utilize my time hunting, and not fighting current.
Whats the hunting there like? Is there any higher ground, like sand ridges, or is it all grass? What kind of stalking opportunities could a guy expect?
Thanks, Kevin

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by BlacktailBowhunter:

Originally posted by LongbowGuy83:
I'm in Oregon, but I like to travel. I will be in N.C. later this year hunting with my friend Lee Busque. Lee is a pro bull rider that I met while hunting Ohio with Leatherneck and Co. [/b]
Ok, I gotcha.

I've actually found a guy in state that has a hog problem on his deer lease. He's letting hunters go in for fairly cheap. All I know is they are baited stands with motion lights as of now. I am going next week with some guys from work. Not taken the bow as I don't know the setup yet. If it seems feasible with bow and arrow or if he will allow stalking/still hunting, I will post to here asap. Then we can get a group up and go out.
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
great information   :thumbsup:   if my knee gets better I'll be there !!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©