3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NC hogs were to go??  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: NC hogs were to go??
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »
Wally - good to see you - been toooooo long Dude!

Kevin - this is a tidal area - but it is deeper river channel as oppose to open bays and flats - so tidal yes it will flow both directions - but definately stronger flowing downstream when the tide has dropped.

A canoe could get you hunted - certainly better than no boat but still on the dangerous side in my opinion ------- Kayak would be better - easy glide no matter the tide - only slightly dangerous --- a boat with a motor is best - for all the obvious reasons - not the least of which is that you are there to hunt - NOT excercise.

Hogs are sensitive to motor noise - so be careful - this is the only thing that puts a kayak into the "plus" category.

Friends there WILL be other hunters and they WILL be using shotguns - still our best option in my opinion if we are looking for public land - minimal cost.

Ft Stewart: Look I would only recommend this to a very experienced hog hunter - meaning you need to be hunting at least once a month - less I think it is unrealistic to think we can just pop over to Ft Stewart and bag some hogs in Winter. Ft Stewart is a very good property - but it has been shot hard with rifles since October. If you insist try looking into "bow zone" units - there are some - next would be the largest swamps - but it is chancy - I like Ft Stewart Sept, Oct, May, early June. When I hunted GA in the 90's it was not legal to hunt hogs during turkey season which gave the hogs a break.

Safe Travels and Good Hunting
<><
<------cory----<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline KDdid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2011, 05:44:00 PM »
Cory' Thanks for all the info. I've got a ton of questions, not the least of which involve the type of cover to be hunted...is it all tall grass, or are there some timbered/palmetto thicket kind of areas? And as far as the boat goes, is it likely to be a problem getting it launched again after the tide drops? I'm leary of bringing a motorboat for that reason.
Let me know if you'd like me to PM you on any of these questions. I'm just trying to see if I can pull this off with less than 60 days lead time.
Thanks, Kevin
Also, I'm thinking of posting something over on the PBS site, to see if any PBS'ers would be interested.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
Some of just about everything, depending on where you go/are - large reed areas, Palmettos, high ground, low ground, swampy areas, hard wood stands, some high dike areas with trees beside river and streams, rather deep tidal slews that fill up (and/or drain) quickly, Mud flats, mud banks, a few small islands. I still say go look at the pictures in my early Gallery pages and you'll see a lot of the river and land areas we hunted that may help you form some pictures in your mind. Robert Hogue, owner of Bowhunting.net, once said on his (huge) site that visiting my personal site was like going on a ten day vacation  for him - FWIW LOL. We went to the Sav River Refuge a lot of times to get to know it the way we did back then, as well as studying a lot of topos on the internet. I have no doubt that Cory probably knows it even better than we did - but I forget a lot of stuff now at my age - LOL.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
Habitat: March we focus on two things - river cane and crayfish - often in the same area. This is where I would begin my scout - and you can glass long distances of river cane - look for spots that are nocked down - looks like it has been burned - mudholes - whatever - this is usually hog rooting sign. Stare at it - might find hogs.

In general hogs hate sand - stay in the river cane.

Oaks are done by then - but thick cover is always attractive to hogs - but the cane is where its at - some will be pushed by shotgun dudes - you should be able ot walk dykes or skid trails to get back a distance - just a few hundred yards - slow down and listen.

Boats stuck: Ya know this happened ot me all the time in the 80s & 90s sometimes 20 yards from the waterline when I got back if the tide dropped - this was near the ocean - not up in the refuge - tide drop would be l;ess severe - and I don't think you will get stuck - you can wiggle a boat and slide it over mud - UNless your boat is large - if so stream anchor or tie off to a post or tree.

Cool to email or call - No problem

Good Hunting<><
<----cory----<<<<

Offline KDdid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2011, 07:51:00 AM »
Well, i'ts all falling together, got the vacation days scheduled, and my Cuz cleared his work for the week of the 14th of March.Now just trying to decide if we'll be camping in the pop-up, or finding a motel, either way, should be fun.
Kevin

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2011, 01:18:00 AM »
with all this hog talk goin on I'm gonna go to obx next weekend and see if I can find the ones I used to hunt over there. Its been about 5-6 years since I hunted over there. If'n I find any I'll report back. I would be game for any TG group hunts for our state.
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2011, 07:42:00 AM »
nc - Look forward to your report - how many miles/hours will that drive be?
<><
<----------------<<<<<<

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »
about 2 hrs each way Mr. Cory

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
nc , let me know if you head over here. I live in Kitty Hawk we can team up.

Offline KDdid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
So...What's an OBX?

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
Outer Banks NC abbreviation
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
Hey guys. Found a place in the piedmont to hunt hogs. We went this past week with a slightly louder weapon, but the rain messed us up and only 1 of 6 got a hog. 180#. This guy is a real standup kind of guy. Said we can come back on his dime since we didn't have better luck. He's in the beginning stages of running this hunting setup. He also has a log cabin that he said he will do overnights stays in. Not real sure on the overnight deal. He said that he will move blinds and stands to accomodate the hunter and weapon choice. I have his info if anyone wants it. We're going back in a couple weeks and I'm going trad. See ya'll around
Caleb Chambers

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
Guys name wasn't Johnnie Dale was it? Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
No sir. Greg Lynn.
Caleb Chambers

Offline Blood Trail 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2011, 11:27:00 PM »
Yall come on down to Texas. We got more hogs than you shake a stick at. Checked my trail cam a month ago and had over 91 vids of hogs. We even got them in our neighborhood.

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »
Mark I dropped you a line, I'm goin sunday my daughters got a basketball game saturday. You can give me a call tommorrow after noonish we can workout the plan.

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2011, 01:10:00 AM »
Longbowguy-If you don't mind would you PM me that guys info. Thanks, LCH

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
well I picked up some useful info a few minutes ago. The game warden called back a few minutes ago and told that the hoggin grounds on the beach aren't huntable on sundays. Theres a permit required, but its free and one can be picked up anytime in Kitty hawk woods.

Offline KDdid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
Well, it looks like a group of 4 of us are heading down to Savannah to hunt the refuge in March, for the special 9 day hog hunt. I think we'll be staying at the state park campground  at Skidaway Island as of now...anyone want to meet up to do a Trad Gang hunt?
Now, if I can only figure out how to haul the boat and trailer, along with the pop up camper... gonna have to do some creative loading.
Kevin

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2011, 08:05:00 AM »
PM'd you KDdid
Caleb Chambers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©