3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Late season whitetails...and a bloody arrow and a bloodtrail to match the year.  (Read 1330 times)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Well our season is winding down here in IL. This has been the toughest season as far as getting whitetails to stickbow range that I can remember. October was too hot and our rut was just weird. The intensity was off and due to the dry conditions, the bulk of the breeding I believe was done at night. Even with Ms Hope here to share a tree during November, the bucks just wouldn't come to me. At least the good ones that I am looking for. The last day of November I had  this nice deer came in and bed 100 yards away. He was no giant, but I wanted to give him a whirl. He winded me as I was slipping down the tree to try a stalk, and my butt whoopin' from this year continued on.

I kept after it through December. I passed on a ton of 3.5 year old deer and due to the whole "maybe there is a late chase" thing, I passed on doe after doe. I kept telling myself I had plenty of time. Well time flys...next thing you know it is January and I have not filled a tag. I have killed a whitetail for most of the last 25 years, so this whole thing was a bit odd. Luckily, I have a great wife, and with a nod to the low freezer, she told me to go kill something this last week. I had killed a cow elk in September and up until now we had been meat rich. But elk doesn't last long at my house, so she didn't have to ask twice!

So with the temps in the teens I found my way to one of my favorite stands and climbed aboard. Snow on the ground and a favorite stand with the best wind. Life is good...
Mike Davenport

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Cool...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline coachA

• Trad Bowhunter
wapiti792, I hear your pain the rut was screwed upin in AL where I hunt as well. Looks like I may have the same outcome that you are having. I do have 2 more weeks though. Good luck!

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
After settling in and nocking up I just enjoyed the evening. At 4pm I could see deer heading from the honeysuckle thicket. First their legs, then their dark bodies as they finally picked the right trail. As each step brought the band of 6 to my tree all I could think of was how blessed I am to have deer near me this late in the year. The lead doe was a big nervous nellie and it made me nervous to drop the string on her. The second deer looked as calm as could be and as she walked at a 90 degree from my tree at about 20 yards, I put some tension on the string, told myself to reach full draw, and slammed a 700 gr wood arrow out of my Apex Predator longbow right where I was looking. A mule kick and a scattering of all the deer near my tree was all the sight picture I had. I usually watch me deer ALL the way out of sight, but this shot was perfect, and due to 3 other tags in my pocket, greed took over as I reached for another arrow. Nothing stuck around except a button buck, and he got a pass. All was quiet and I thanked the Lord for the gift!

After waiting for 40 minutes, and due to where the shot was, I let me gear down and climbed my cold rear end out of the tree. I found this 18 steps away with the blood already frozen on the arrow...

Mike Davenport

c-mon now, lets see some blood.  :readit:

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Here's where it get's as odd as my year. There was no blood. Just this here arra and a few prints where all I found. You see I am from the south originally. Snow is a bit foreign. I have tracked in rain, dry prarie in WY, aspen flats in CO, corn/bean fields here in IL and just about everything else, but wet snow is somewhat new. Most of the critters I have killed in snow have left plenty of blood on the ice/snow pack. This doe left no obvious blood for first 20 yards or so, then I got it    :banghead:  

Warm blood meets wet snow and all you get is holes in the snow. I caught on after seeing a small fleck of blood next to one of the holes. I was looking for blood when I outa be looking for holes in the snow    :dunno:  

Here's what I mean. See holes....

Mike Davenport

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
Michael,

I'm anxious to see this one finish.  Great job especially this late into the season.  Something about snow that just makes deer hunting feel extra cool.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Now it is getting dark and I am trackin' holes. Next thing you know I look up and see my perfectly shot deer laying with her head up 10 yards away. I nearly thought it was one of her band but she hopped up and bolted 50 yards and laid back down. I was (am) stunned. 45 minutes after just making a 10 ring shot and she's not dead. I made a little stalk but she caught me and did the same thing. Acting like a gut-shot deer and not a lung shot deer. I exited stage left and went home to eat supper... I figured I had holes I could track should she move again. Supper was quiet for me and even my children noticed my usually robust appetite was a bit off...
Mike Davenport

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
Nothing like snow for tracking!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
So after 2 hours I picked up my exiting footprints and made my way back to my arrow. Tracking holes again I made it to where I first jumped her. A scant 60 yards from my tree. I was (am) still stunned. I picked up my holes again and made it to where I bumped her the second time. I found a bed with what looked like a gallon of blood. After easing onto her track/holes I went about 75 yards and found my deer. Dead as a hammer as Terry Green has quoted.

Mike Davenport

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
Well done! Those late season hunts are tough both weather wise and deer wise.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
:campfire:    :archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Congrats looks tasty.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Nice job Mike!  Let's see that arrow hole.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I sat next to this tough old gal and thanked her. After my quiet time and alot of reflection over the last 3 hours or so, I field dressed her. I was anxious to see why this deer had not died within the "golden 30 minutes" after being shot. My entry was perfect, my exit was perfect...the entry side was in the middle third of the lung on the left and the exit was a very low hole in her right lung. Perhaps this was a single hemo/pneumothorax on the left and just a slice through the right lung. Maybe. I learned a lesson here, but I don't know if the lesson was give 'em more time or not every perfect shot kills 'em as quick as we think sometimes. I had a super sharp 2 blade broadhead, a heavy arrow, made a good shot, and did major organ damage. I know I did the right thing by going home to eat supper and giving her time. I also know my freezer is gonna be a little more full. Having had the toughest year I can remember I am as proud of this great deer as I would have with a Booner. I'll never forget the lesson of the holes or the feeling of getting to finally touch this awesome animal with freezing hands, snow on the ground, and a smile on my face.

Mike Davenport

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
Way to go Mike   :thumbsup:
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Whip I have her aging in my barn. I was too cold to get good pics. I will get a photo of both wounds and post them as I am still a bit dazed by them and the condition of the lungs. Great holes with a footed Doug Fir arrow and a 2 blade Aboyer bonehead. Thanks guys!
Mike Davenport

:thumbsup:  congrats.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©