3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A tribute to Big Fred......See Page 13 "thanks"  (Read 3106 times)

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A tribute to Big Fred......See Page 13 "thanks"
« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2011, 04:57:00 AM »
Prayers up for your friend Tim.  What struck me about the buck was the almost bifurcated antlers.....2 into 1.  Significant of your friendship?  Surely seems so.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2011, 06:11:00 AM »
I read this yesterday afternoon and couldn't post I was so choked up. True friendships like depicted here are one of life's rare treasures.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend. Although the friend is gone, the friendship remains and you have reaped the benefits of it as evidenced in your hunt and with your reflection of the special bond between you and Fred. That bond is forever. We should all be so fortunate.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2011, 06:11:00 AM »
Tim, like everyone else, I'm sorry for your loss. What a great buck, and a great story. Thank you very much for sharing. You absolutely have a way of expressing your feelings that tends to cause a few shed tears.

On Christmas Eve I did a search and found your "Shipp Shrew" story from Christmas Day a couple years ago. I re-read the whole thing again and was close to shedding a tear then.

Thanks again, sounds like you and Fred were able to share many fine years together.

Allen

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2011, 06:14:00 AM »
Extraordinary friendship, a powerful day.
One last buck taken with your best friend, and a fitting tribute that magnificent animal was!

My heart goes out to you and Fred's family. I fear not for Fred, he obviously has things well in hand. I believe in signs, it would be churlish to ignore them.

Peace.
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2011, 06:43:00 AM »
Awesome story! Good friends and hunting buddies are very hard to come by, so that's why a fella needs to cherish every moment spent!! Jason

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2011, 06:57:00 AM »
Tim,

I had the pleasure of meeting Fred.  He and I shot a round together at the PA Longbow Association shoot at Marsh Hill a few years back.  I remember he was a good shot and loved his Wapiti recurve!  After that shoot we'd always chat a little bit whenever we ran into eachother at other shoots in PA - STAR, ETAR, and a couple more at Marsh Hill.  

A couple summers ago, I had my little girl with me for her first shoot at STAR.  She was five and we was getting a bit pooped on the course, so we started passing up other groups on the course on our way back to get something to eat.  We came up on Fred's group and talked for a bit and as we started walking away, my daughter said "That guy is BIG!"  He really was a gentle giant.  I didn't know him all that well, but he was one of those permanent fixtures you'd always see at shoots in PA.  He will be missed.

Thank you for this thread.

John
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2011, 07:15:00 AM »
Tim,
       Sorry for your loss I am sure every time you walk into the woods, or drag an animal out you will think of your friend.  This is a wonderful story and thank you for sharing it with us. God bless your family and friends!!!
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2011, 07:21:00 AM »
That last picure says it all!
Nice tribute.
Sorry for the loss.
I wish somday to have a friend that close.

Tim  :notworthy:    :notworthy:

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2011, 07:53:00 AM »
Tim I know you very little just a few PM's over the past couple of years. But in one of the PM's we discussed our families and you discussed Fred's illness and told me there was little hope.

We are all busy in life -too busy- but I see you and Fred retired a little every weekened, every chance you got .We all need to do that as we never know!

My eyes are filled with tears , not for me but for your family and Freds family for losing such a great person .

Don't forget the memories for one minute , great story and yes it was errie.

God Bless your extended family

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
Your story is moving. Good friends are hard to come by in life and I think he was there for you even after his. Congrats on your buck.  :campfire:

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: January 15, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
Sorry about your loss. But a great story

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: January 15, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
WOW!Awesome tribute!Very cool pics and glad to hear you'll always have someone with you on your hunts...sorry he was taken from his family and friends so soon.My deepest sympathy...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: January 15, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »
I was very fortunate and Blessed to be able to call Big Fred a friend.He was a very loving family man. He treated everyone the same with heartfelt kindness. This man's heart was much larger than his staure. It has been very hard and emoitional to watch this horrid disease take our friend. It seems that its always the "Good Guys" that must part there ways to soon. It just seems unfair.
 I got the call from Tim last Thursday evening explaining his outting, it was very emoitional. I am glad that Tim now knows and found some closure that Big Fred will still be with his "little buddy" on all of his adventures.
 I know I will sure miss the Big Man and will have him in my thoughts forever.
Ed Schlimme
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: January 15, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
A more than fitting tribute to both your friend and his passing.

Some arrows fly all the straighter when in good company.

Blessings to Fred and those whose knew him.

Thank you for sharing.

B
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: January 15, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
You are very lucky to have at least had a friend like him. Most guys, including myself have never had such a friend. I'm sure he will be missed greatly.
Really nice 6pt. by the way, I'm sure Big Fred would have been proud!  :thumbsup:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: January 15, 2011, 05:43:00 PM »
God Rest His Soul, and God Bless You and Yours at this Trying Time in Life. Consider just how Lucky You Are To Have Such A Fine Friend!! Prayers to his Family as Well.
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Online Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: January 15, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
Great story and I am sure Fred Knows you got that great buck sorry for your loss!!

Dave
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: January 15, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
Tim,
 How blessed you were to have a friend like Fred, I am so sorry for your loss. What's the old saying.. "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened". Easy to say and hear, but hard to apply I know. I lost a close frend last year suddenly and think something about him everyday. God speed to you and all brother, will keep prayers for you. And congrats on the buck, that's one that will stay with you.

Lanier
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: January 15, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Tim.  Grace and Peace to you friend.
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: January 15, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
Tim what an incredible tribute to your friend! I lost my dad early last year and I often look back at the pictures from our hunting trips together and experience the same type of emotion you so eloquently described in this thread. I am just overwhelmed by this thread. I regret that I never met Big Fred. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©