3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A tribute to Big Fred......See Page 13 "thanks"  (Read 3104 times)

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A tribute to Big Fred......See Page 13 "thanks"
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
Tim.... I am so very sorry to hear about Fred. I have always enjoyed running into you guys at Baltimore Bowman, Delta, West Caln and Denton Hill. He was a fine gentleman and a pleasure to know. He will be deeply missed.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Freds and your familys.

John
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »
Tim, sorry for your loss but I have a feeling this has a great ending and memories you'll have forever.

doug77

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »
:campfire:  Tim, this is as good as it gets. Take your time and thank you so much for allowing us to tag along on this emotional hunt.
Mike Davenport

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2011, 01:11:00 PM »
Friends and hunting partners like Fred are hard to come by.............Im sorry for Freds family and your loss.
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »
I've got it together pretty good at this point, emotionally that is but everything was just plain "spooky".  The wind, the bachelor group, the stand, the property....I know the buck made me, hell it's late season how often does everything fall into place on a mature buck!

I pulled out my phone and called a friend.  He was headed to Lancaster archery and wouldn't be back for a few hours.  I agreed to go home and he agreed to meet me and that we'd recover this buck together.

I quietly got down and snuck over to the spot where he stood.  No blood but a slight spray of red 15 yards away.  

My arrow had buried to the fletch, we had blood and we had tracks in the snow.  I couldn't ask for much more.....I headed home giving the buck the time needed.

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
Tim,sorry for the loss of your friend and hunting buddy,glad you have the memories of time spent together.
  Prayers for comfort for you and his family.
        Roger

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
Almost hesitating to read whats coming up, I know I'm going to end up with tears running down my cheeks.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
My house was quiet when I got home, I made a few peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and sat with the dog.  Some guys love blood trails, I don't.  I like seeing them go down, everything else only produces more gray hairs.

Fast forward to 6:30, three hours later, my phone rang.  It was my buddy Guy, he was on his way.  I told him I'd meet him in route and follow him.  I grabbed my stuff and hopped in the truck.  

Here's where it get's CREEPY!

NO exagerations at all from here on out, I promise you.

I turned on the truck and my radio pops on. The radio has a big screen that tells you the name of the song....All I saw were the words "HOPE", a song by Jack Johnson.  I smiled and pulled out of the driveway.

I sat on the side of the road in the dark waiting for Guy.  To my right was a huge property Fred and I would stump shoot every Sunday during the winter, no matter how cold at 3pm we shot, at 5pm we'd run home for dinner.  I tried to pump myself up a bit and kept talking out loud...."yeah Big Man we're going to find this buck, yeah brother, let's get it done"!  I crank up the radio and look down at the song screen, the name of the song..."Here, I am Here"!

Can you say "CREEPY".......CREEPY!!!!  I was honestly freaked out!  I turned off the radio and sat quietly.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
I am overwhelmed!!

I wish I could explain it but... nope!

I will tell you that I know it's all good!

Thank you for sharing Fred and your hunt with me.

I think I can feel your loss but even more I can feel you exaltation!!

God bless you brother!

His Servant Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
Tim,

Lee Viv wrote me of this thread. He said once I saw Fred's pics, I'd remember, and surely I Do!

I'm not great with names, but better with faces. He was truly a "gentle giant".

As your "creepy" stuff lingers in my mind, I recall a dear friend that lived in Syracuse and I'd not seen in a bit. When I worked in NY, we would hang at his house often.

I'm home in PA working at my desk one evening and WHAM...this "presence" filled the room and my mind. I felt him there... telling me "all was well, buddy". I glanced at my desk clock and the time caught my eye.

2 days later, his wife calls me to tell me that he'd had an injury playing raquettball to his heel and was home with his foot up recuperating on the couch when he toppled over dead onto her.

The day and time was the moment the presence filled my house and mind!

Whatever the rest of your story, I know that Fred's spirit will be with you, just as everyone at Solana felt Chris Surtees in their shared stories throughout that hunt.

Condelences for the loss, but remember that he now is a living part of you and will remain so through out your earthly ramblings.

You do not walk alone.

Peace, bro.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
Great story Tim!

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »
Ok....let's finish up.

The blood trail was sparse, 18 degrees crystalizes blood instantly and red on white looks more like light sprinkles on your ice cream cone.  We found my arrow 50 yards down the trail soaked full length.  Tracks where everywhere like an army of deer had come through, every track looked the same.  Red berries littered certain areas giving glimmers of hope that quickly faded.

As we neared the creek we found two deer beds not 10 yards a part and a few hours old.  We crossed the stream only to find very little sign.  Did I mention I hate blood trails!

We found two more beds all within a 50 yard circle with no ryme or reason.  The trailing was now becoming a quiet search with not many words but lot's of internal "hope".  Guy moved left and I moved right.  "This sucks", I told myself as I began to blame everything from my bow to my arrows to my choice of toothpaste!

The first set of whistles seemed off in the distance, the second set where obviously from my buddy Guy.  I quickly moved towards him only to find him standing there with no expression what so ever.  He felt the deer had cut back on us and suggested we head back across the creek.  I moved forward as he stood in place.  As I turned he smiled.....I asked him what was the deal and if he knew something I'd appreciate him sharing it.  My buck lay not 10 yards in front of me frozen in the creek.

I can't explain the feeling but you've all been there so there's no need to try.  I had come full circle that day and touched on ever emotion imaginable.  Fred's family was still at the house as my wife filled them in on the details.  They had not known anything but all celebrated before and after I arrived.  

Hunting was a huge part of our families, a way of life so many of us talk about. Was the buck a sign or a coincidence, you decide.  To me it was a form of closure.  I do plan on having him mounted and he will go on the wall with several other bucks that Fred helped me drag over the years.  He will be a daily reminder of the incredible friendship we shared.

Thanks for all your support.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
Great story and tribute!

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
Most excellent story. Thanks for taking us along!
We do not stop playing because we are old. We grow old because we stop playing.

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
Very, very moving. Thank you for taking the time to share this wonderful story.

All my best,

Dusty

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2011, 03:22:00 PM »
Tim,
Sorry for the loss of your friend and Buddy.
This was a most fitting tribute to someone that seems to have touched the lives of many.

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2011, 03:22:00 PM »
What a wonderful tribute to your friend.  God Bless.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline CDR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2011, 03:24:00 PM »
WOW! What a great story, the big guy was with you for sure Tim!

Congrats!!

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
Tim very touching story,sorry for your loss,it is our loss as well as a good guy passes.The only thing is to take him with you on your memories on your hunt.We will meet all in the Heaven woods.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline pauljr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
To many are lost to soon, thanks for the reminder
PBS Associate Member

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I wont tolerate it" Woodrow F Call

Users currently browsing this topic: