3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Last Trip of the Year (or first of the next?)  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Last Trip of the Year (or first of the next?)
« on: January 14, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
A few days after Christmas I hooked the trailer on to my partners truck and three of us hit the road for New Mexico.  Good friends Bob Daigle, Jeff Frazer and I had all drawn late season mule deer tags in New Mexico, and had plans to ease the pains of withdrawal from the Wisconsin bow season which was winding down.

We had great driving weather all the way down, right up until we got within a couple hours of our destination.  Then the snow and wind hit.  By the time we reached our campsite we were in the middle of a full blown blizzard.  But a little work with the snow shovel to clear a site, and we got the tent set up and the wood stove cooking.  The snow finally let up as we got done.  But the wind was still howling, and the temperature was falling fast.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Last Trip of the Year (or first of the next?)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
We want more
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
your such a tease!
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 08:22:00 AM »
The mule deer in this part of the country rut toward the end of December.  We would be catching the tail end of the action, and sure enough, while scouting the day before season we witnessed groups of does with bucks hounding their every step.  Things were looking good!

Season opened on New Years day, and as I eased my way down a ridge behind camp I tried my best to keep quiet in the squeeking snow.  Rounding a spruce tree brought me face to face with a nice 4x4 buck, and behind him were a group of does and another smaller 3x3.  Things were definately looking good!  

While I couldn't close the distance for a shot at one of these bucks, tracks in the snow indicated pretty good activity on this ridge, so that afternoon I was back with a tree stand and a commitment to give it some time.  

The following morning I sat the stand until 11:15am without seeing a single deer.  I took a practice shot before getting down, and then walked over to retreave my arrow.  Just as I reached it I looked up to see a good buck heading across the ridge right toward me!  

I knelt down and waited - and on he came.  Right down the trail I was crouched on.  At 20 yards he either saw me move my bow slightly, or caught a whiff on a swirling wind.  Either way, he had had enough, and turned slowly and left me kicking myself.  Ten more minutes in the stand would have produced a 10 yard shot.   :banghead:      :banghead:      :banghead:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online Cocklebur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 08:22:00 AM »
Good Luck. Looks like fun, but cold.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
Looks like a lot of fun Joe!!  Keep it coming.   :thumbsup:
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 08:37:00 AM »
The first couple of days were REALLY cold!  Overnight temps dropped to single digits. And the winds were 30-35 with gusts to 55+ according to the weather.com site.  I had no reason to doubt the accuracy of the reports.  :scared:  

The wood stove in the tent was fed a constant supply of wood, and we survived.  Within a couple of days the temperature moderated and the winds died down.  

The snow on the ground sure made scouting easier, and we quickly figured out where the activity seemed best.  Bob in particular was getting into deer regularly, and one morning alone he counted 41 deer.  They were here, now it was up to us to figure out what to do about it.

There were plenty of other hunters around, but the vast majority liked the comfort of their vehicles.  Road hunting is apparantly the preferred method for the locals as they constantly cruised up and down the road past camp.  Back and forth they went - snd with their long range weaponry they actually were taking some deer.  

But we basically had anything more than 100 yards from the roads to ourselves.  Although I did see some boot tracks in places, during the entire time we were their I never once saw another hunter off the road.

The mountains were beautiful, and as always, I loved every minute I got to spend in them.

Jeff Frazer

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
What a moment that must have been.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
I sat the stand on the ridge for three days, and never had another opportunity.  Directly across the road from camp seemed to have as much deer activity as anywhere, so on Tuesday afternoon I explored over there a bit.

Following the spine of a ridge down from the top I found a spot to sit on the ground.  I hadn't brought my stool with me, so I just nestled in against a juniper to watch for the last hour or so.  I hadn't been there 20 minutes when a small racked buck sauntered out directly downhill from me.  

I was afraid to move to my knees, so tried to draw my bow from a sitting position.  It didn't work very well, and my arrow sliced air directly under his chest. ARRGGHHHH!!!   :knothead:    :banghead:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
Oh boy this is getting good.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
Shooting hours in New Mexico end at sunset, and I headed back to camp.  As I got to within 100 yards of the road I ran into a group of does.  One of them was being followed everywhere by a nice sized buck.  And a decent 3x3 stood watching me from 25 yards away.  

Too late to shoot tonight.  But I had a new plan for the morning.  Although it was close to the road, the deer didn't seem to care.  If they don't care, why should I?  The next morning found me back with a tree stand, and I would sit here for a couple of days to see if they would return.

At about 9:30 I saw movement in the trees 40 yards in front of me.  Two bucks were messing around, and before long one of them was headed my way, but circling back behind me.  Out in front I had placed a Montana whitetail doe decoy that I had doctored up with some spray paint to look a little more like a mule deer.

As the buck walked behind my tree he offered a breif shot at about 20 yards, but I was certain that he would circle around and come in closer to check out the decoy.  I hit the can call to draw his attention, but apparantly he wasn't interested in girls.  He wandered away without a glance, and also without offering another shot.

I turned my attention back to where I had originally seen the deer, and couldn't see the second buck.  Not sure where he had gone, I contiuned my vigil until shortly before noon.

When it came time to climb down and head to camp for lunch I walked slowly over to the spot I had originally seen the deer.  I thought maybe I should move my stand a bit, and was looking for a new tree.  Suddenly, just 25 yards away, I found myself in a stare down with the second buck!  He apparantly had bedded down in the last spot I had seen him and had been laying there all along.

He lost the stare down, and started to feed.  I couldn't believe it!  He thought I was a tree!  Gradually he continued to feed in my direction. It looked like he might come broadside at 20 yards, and I prepared for a shot.  But instead, he turned toward me.  And walked closer.  And closer.  He's getting too close!!

I've always liked my Predator camoflauge.  But this is crazy!  At four yards I finally had a shot, and off he went, carrying my arrow with him.  A relatively short tracking job found him still alive, and a follow up shot quickly ended it.  

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
way to go Whip!! what a fun trip!
Make a life, not a living

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 09:19:00 AM »
Nice story,I love it! Congrats
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »
Good job! I've never shot a muley, but would like to.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
I refinished this bow and have been carrying it all fall.  1968 Bear Super Kodiak.  I guess it still has what it takes!

I cleaned up the skull for a european mount.  Inside the nasel cavity I found a suprise.

Of course my hunting partners picked right up on this and determined that is why the buck walked right up to me.  Couldn't smell, and the bugs in his nose caused him to want to commit suicide.  "[dntthnk]"  
Does anyone know what these things are??  :confused:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
Bob has been building knives for awhile now, and presented Jeff and I each with a personalized custom made knife for the trip.  I put mine to good use  :D  

This was a great trip, and comes at a great time of year for an out of state get away.  Here are a few other random pictures.

We did go through some wood during the week!

Jeff shows off his form.

All cleaned up and ready for some bleach.

In spite of the weather this week, spring isn't far away down here.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
Great story and pictures Joe! Can't help you with the bugs other than they look like maggots. Was his nasal cavity infected?
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
Good job Joe.Hope I can enjoy retirement half as much as you and I will be happy.Is that a Super K bow I see.  :wavey:    :campfire:

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
I hate not being able to see pics on my work pc. Sounds like it was an adventurous hunt and exciting up close moment.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
Thanks for taking us along......
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©