3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tapering arrows on a belt/ disc sander  (Read 585 times)

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tapering arrows on a belt/ disc sander
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
I went through the several hand taper tools (tru-taper) but as stated before, they didn't work on all types of wood and they were not very precise.  Next, I tried the disc sander and table saw with jigs and spent more time setting them up then it took to taper a dozen arrows.  Bought a wood chuck and never regretted it, it is always there and ready when needed.  I should have saved the time and money and bought the woodchuck to start with.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »
The critical factor is to have accurate tapers for the nock and point and using a disc sander of some sort is the key. If you nock taper is not dead on then your nock will not set on straight and that causes problems same for the point. Spend the money on any of the above products mentioned if you build any amount of wood arrows at all and be done with it. Flint

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
Can you do a 10" Taper with the woodchuck?  Or is it strictly for Nocks and Points?

Thank you,

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
Nock and point only Mitch. I think I'm just going to with the belt/disc sander and arrow guide block. I don't think it will be to much of a hassle to clamp the arrow guide into place.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline traditional beagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »
Yeah, I get it guys. I don't do enough wood arrows to justify rigging up a jig. Only a dozen every couple years.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
Simple ideas from simple minds I guess. I made this jig with a piece of wood to go in a miter slot of the table. No set up required if I take it off my sander, just slide it back in the miter slot and it is perfectly adjusted and ready to go. Perfect tapers every time.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
you can also use a table saw, just take an old blade and glue a sanding disk to it if you don't have a sander.

James...............
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by traditional beagle:
What's wrong with just using a 4 dollar plastic taper tool. These jigs are great but I don't see the logic. A taper is a taper isn't it.
Maybe this explanation will help.

I spent exactly zero $0 on my jig that I use for tapering woodies on my belt sander. I already had the belt sander and the piece of scrap wood was in a box of scrap I keep in my garage. Why pay $4 bucks for a tool that I don't need?
The logic is, use what you already have on hand. If you don't have a belt sander then get the taper tool, if you already have a belt sander then take a few minutes and make a jig for it. It's very simple and it's all that I have ever used. Takes me about one minute on each end to taper the point and the nock ends.
Doesn't get much simpler than that.  :thumbsup:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©