3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Weight Reductions  (Read 620 times)

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
Weight Reductions
« on: January 14, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
Wondering who has had a bow's poundage reduced?
If so, how did the bow shoot after?
Were you glad you did it?

chris <><

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Weight Reductions
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »
I was wondering something similar on a Widow I just got last fall.
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Online Cocklebur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »
You can call Black Widow with the serial# and they can tell you if and how much weight they can take off. I think they will shoot fine after they are done.

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
Would they reduce the weight on glass limbs, by narrowing them? I know nothing about the process but was told by the manufacturer it can be done on a bow I have. Didn't ask how they do it. $250 is the quote.  Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline ballen28115

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
$250?  Ouch!  Wes Wallace took down one of my Mentors by 3# basically for free, all I had to pay for was the refinish job, which was $75.  Wes can get that weight off by sanding the glass.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
Dangit....I thought you were giving no fail, easy diet tips.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
Plus shipping,I asked if 6-8 lbs. could come off. New set of limbs are twice the amount at least.  Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
I think 75. is unreasonable (low) You are talking about liability if you mess it up. Who pays for that? The bowyer> doing several hours of sanding and retillering. and fine sanding and a complete refinish. 250. is in line IMHO. 75. by Wes was a favor.

Offline snow leopard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »
check with joe at prairie traditions, who is also a tradgang sponsor. he does this and does an awesome job.
"the symbol is not the reality"

compton traditional bowhunters
wisconsin traditional archers

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
If several hours equates to 3 1/2-4 hrs. $250 is reasonable. If I knew what I was doing and doing it for a living I'd need that much.  Rusty

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
Instead of paying $250 I rather sell the limbs and then I buy a new pair that fit me.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
Thats the catch, cacciatore, I'll spend 250 making up the difference if I sold the ones I have  Rusty

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
The limbs I have are 52# which isn't a deal, I'm just getting older and lazier. Thats at 28" and I settle in at 27 1/4  Rusty

Offline cedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 06:23:00 PM »
I have been told by several bowyers that they can reduce weight by 5 lbs max.  I had a longbow reduced by 5 lb and it shot fine.  Glad I did it.

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
A friend of mine took 10% off of a 60lb. TD Morrison recurve. It shoots great. It hasn't been chrono'ed but it seems to shoot just as fast just easier to pull!
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 06:39:00 PM »
I've had it done 3 or 4 times by a couple bowyers but was told 2-3 lbs. was the norm.  Doesn't sound like a lot, but if it's the poundage you're used to you'll feel the difference.  Bows shot fine and sometimes I've had them retillered for 3 under at the same time. Charges ranged from $35-$100, but it's been awhile since I had one done.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 06:39:00 PM »
Wes has my Mentor right now, reducing it a few pounds, and I can hardly wait to get it back.  I thoroughly love my WW bows.   Best investment in hunting equipment I ever made and I've been shooting them for 12-14 years without any problems.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
I paid $140 to have 6 pounds removed from a PSAIII (went from 58 to 52# @ 28").  Mine might have been a bit more because I had a "motto" added under my already present name. This price included return shipping.  I thought it was a bit expensive but it saved the bow, for me at least.  That bow was headed for the block because it was hotter than I care to shoot these days. I am very glad I did it. I can't tell a bit of difference in the bow's appearance because it was as new before and after. It took about 3 weeks because I caught them (end of July I recall) during a down time.

I don't know how they do it though. I figure they jog with it, put it on a treadmill, rub it with grape fruit...

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
Black Widow reduced my 56", Ironwood 2001 model from 64# to around 59# at 28" of draw by trapizoiding the limbs. They wouldn't take anymore off of it.

Offline JrsyBowHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
check out two tracks bow company they have prices on the site for reducing weight on a bow
Steven Siegert

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©