3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Weight Reductions  (Read 621 times)

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Weight Reductions
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
I reduced the weight on one of my sons longbows from 80to 62 lb and it was actually faster at 62 than it was at 80. I take it that the weight removed overcame the poundage lost making a faster limb. It sure was a lot narrower when I got through with it. LOL

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
I've had two different bows reduced. Had 5# shaved off of both. One was a Thunderstick T-Mag, the other my SAIII Widow. Both shoot great. Both cost around $100 each to have it reduced. Very glad I did it.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline kenn1320

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
I inquired about it, was told 5lbs or less was all that could be expected. I think 5lbs would make a big difference if your on the edge.
I'm not a "deer" hunter, I'm a bow hunter that occasionally shoots a deer.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
My son just had BW do his a couple of weeks ago,THINK he said 100 bucks plus shipping.Shaved 4 pounds off his recurve
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
Do it yourself by taking glass off belly & back and/or wood off the side (either flat or trapezoid).  You need to watch the tiller, poundage, and straightness of string down the belly.  For just a couple pounds it' a piece of cake.  Pending the shape of the limbs you can take up to 15# off on some over built bows.  If the tiller stays the same it should shoot as well in the lower poundage.  

JMHO, then again I have a lot of bows that I can trash & make knife handles from them  :)   Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
I had Jim Belcher reduce my Brackenbury Quest before he handed the Bow Hospital over to Whip. He took off 4-5# and all is good.  I think it was right around $100-125 with shipping.  Call Whip,  I hear he continues to do fine work as well.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
This is something I would like to have done to one of my bows. Glad to hear everyone has had good experiences with it.

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2011, 01:11:00 PM »
I recently purchased a longbow and the bowyer reduced the weight 5#.  Or 4#, I don't recall.  It was a bow that was in stock and maybe wasn't yet finished, so the weight reduction was included in the purchase price.  So it was a good deal for me.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
Along the same lines, has anyone heard of increasing draw weight a little, by adding another lamination of glass or something similar?  Just curious.
Ron
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
Just had Craig Eakins reduce poundage on a Howard Hill Wesley Special from 55@28 to 50@28. 5 pounds is the about the norm. The original bowyer or someone familier with your bow design would be my recommedation to do the work. As for performance, it has been my experience that a bow that has been reduced in weight performs better than it did before the reduction. Perhaps an increase in draw length is the reason for this. As for price, $125 to $175 plus shipping is the norm. Remember, liability is a factor, but the bow is not only reduced in weight, it also must be refinished. Is it worth the money? If there is a sentimental attachment to the bow, or if you bought it at a good price, perhaps second hand, it might be money well spent. Only you can decide.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »
ronp,
Check with PV here.  He's made several bows where he has two sets of knock grooves  By cutting lower knocks you are effectively shortening the bow thus increasing the draw weight...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
I had Jim Belcher and Whip work on bows for me and the work was reasonbly priced and they did a fine job. A friend had Chuck from TwoTracks work a bow for him, again, reasonbly priced and great results. All done for $125 or less, per bow. I did have another bow reduced and refinished, over $200, VERY long wait time, poor customer sevice, and I was not happy with the results. Sometimes you don't get what you pay for. Whip and Chuck would be good choices, IMHO.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  on the opinions
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline bowgy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »
I'm getting older too and have been thinking about reducing all of my bows.  Dan Toelke did one for me $100 including shipping it back to me.  I called Wes Wallace $75 and Great Plains $100.  they all said 3 to 5 lbs Dan took off 5 lbs and it shoots great.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
Something to keep in mind, reducing means sanding, grinding, etc., which means the limbs will need to be refinished.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©