3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I have been hunting illegal...Now with UPDATE!  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
I have been hunting illegal...Now with UPDATE!
« on: January 15, 2011, 07:47:00 AM »
I thought the Woodsman Elites had a 1" cutting diameter. I checked mine last night, and they will almost slide through a 7/8" inside diameter pipe. Didn't they claim to have a 1" cut? I looked in the new 3Rivers catalog, now they claim to have a 1 1/8" cut. What is up? Anyone know if they made them wider now?

Wyoming law says a broadhead must have a minimum of a 1" cut, I have been hunting illegal for the past couple years and didn't even know it.

I have been shooting the 125 grain, was going to switch to the solid, non-vented 160's. Are the 160 grain Elites over an inch? How about the 160 VPA?

I don't trust advertising anymore.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I have been hunting illegal...Now with UPDATE!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 08:02:00 AM »
How much have you sharpened them? That allways removes metal, and with enough sharpenings reduces width.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »
These are new, just sharpenened once. I did not remove that much metal.

Kinda sad, I love these heads, and have taken alot of game with them.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »
I bet that a 3 blade head counts for more than just the outside diamter. A two blade head may need to be 2" across, but 3 blades are different. I wouldnt feel too guilty, those heads at 7/8 of an inch are mean!

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 08:19:00 AM »
Check with your local warden. I bet that the heads will still be deemed legal.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
I guess you would have to have clarified just what does a 1" cut mean. If you use the cutting of all 3 blades you are well over 1 inch.

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
I guess you would have to have clarified just what does a 1" cut mean. If you use the cutting edge of all 3 blades you are well over 1 inch.

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
sorry for the double post

Offline Cocklebur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »
I would be interested in knowing how the game department would measure them.

Offline DaveKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »
This is from the Wyoming Game and Fish Department site about legal archery equipment.

"ARCHERY. Longbows to be used for antelope, bighorn sheep, black bear, deer, mountain goat or mountain lions must have at least 40 lbs. draw weight or be able to shoot a 400 grain arrow at least 160 yards. For elk or moose, the longbow must have at least 50 lbs. draw weight or be able to shoot a 500 grain arrow at least 160 yards. Crossbows must have at least 90 lbs. draw weight, a minimum draw length of 14 inches from front of bow to back of string in the cocked position, a positive safety mechanism, and must be cocked by hand without leverage-gaining devices. The Commission, by regulation, may authorize a physically handicapped person to use a leverage-gaining device for cocking a crossbow. Crossbow bolts must be at least 16 inches. The broadhead of arrows or bolts shall be sharp steel with a minimum cutting width of one inch."  (My bolded emphasis.)

I believe some states have a cutting edge length requirement while others have a cutting width requirement.

Offline Strutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
I wonder if the wardens carry a grain scale to weigh the arrow and range finder to  measure the 160 yards for the bows that are questionable.  Anyone ever been checked this way?

Rob

Offline DaveKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
For comparison Colorado also used a cutting width but has a 7/8ths" requirement as well as a few other requirements.

"a.Hand-held bows, including compound bows, must use arrows with a broadhead having a min. 7/8-inch outside diameter or width and min. 2 steel cutting edges. Each cutting edge must be in same plane for entire length of cutting surface."

Maryland and Wisconsin also state metal or metal cutting surface and must have a 7/8ths cutting width and two blades (Wisconsin specifically requires that they be sharp) while West Virginia has a 3/4" cutting width limit but doesn't state a metal construction requirement so maybe we can use stone in WV.

I travel and hunt in a variety of places and it seems each state/province has enough changes and little issues that reading the regulations carefully is warranted.  Wardens in some states are relaxed and seem to use "intent of the law" rather than "letter of the law" and if a hunter is not obviously or obnoxiously violating a gentle reminder is given, other states on the other hand are pretty strict and a fellow would be lucky to get off with a stern lecture and a warning.  Some places I've hunted seem to give a non-resident a little break while others seem to be extra difficult when dealing with a non-resident, I guess it depends on the Warden.

Offline Huntingnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 10:05:00 AM »
Personally,I don't think I'd worry about it all that much.I have my doubts a game officer is ever going to check them anyhow.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
I would worry about it. It only takes one "violation" no matter how small or unintended to ruin your hunting. I would definetly ask for clarification on how exactly they would measure, and get it in writing if they determine your heads are legal. Now that most seasons are closed or winding down you have time to research and get a definitive answer. Please let us know what you find out.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
I too would worry about it, at least until you contact a G and F guy. When and if your warden gives those broadheads the OK, then you won't have to worry.
Where are you in Wyoming? Obviously someplace with some good sized mule deer, judging from your avatar.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
Dear 3rivers,

Kentucky's regulation is a 7/8" broadhead. If you make the 100 and 125 grain heads wider for the other states regs PLEASE still offer them the way they are now as the thinner design is better for penetration. These heads are mainly used by trad bow hunters I would say and penetration is key. I can't help it some other states bureaucrats that know nothing about our way of hunting are making their laws.

My 2 Cents.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
I'd be really careful here. In many States if one harvests an animal with illegal equpment then the animal becomes illegal as well!
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
In most cases - if a warden checks this - it will be by sliding them through a ring - if it goes through it is not wide enough.

Not a fan of regulations like this or game wardens in general so I won't say more.

Woodsmans are ethical deadly heads!
<><
<------------<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline bigugly1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
I have had my BH's checked in Ontario. Game Warden had a set of digital micrometers to check width at widest point. Also in Ontario you can't use serated heads but yet you can buy them!

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
The 100 and 125gr. are 1 inch cutting diameter and the 150gr. on up are 1-1/8 inch cutting diameter.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©